Ukraine - 4th and, probably, final run

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
Thanks TD. My mum had to escape from there in 1942 as a 21 yr.old girl. Her father, the only one left of a family of 5, told her " Get out of here" wanting her to have a better life elsewhere. Her journey here was epic, that's all I can say. Norm from the Rare Guitars in L A did a video as his father came from the Crimean Peninsula said" Nobody gains anything in the end." He's right. Hope I have not breached politicising rules here, speaking on a humanitarian basis only.
I had a college friend, Maria, years and years ago who was Ukrainian by descent. I suspect her family history was similar. I never discussed it with her at the time, and wish I had now.

I still watch the WhatsApp comms when the teams go out. The last couple of runs have been straightforward and uneventful, which is good. The weather is worse and the nights are get longer - you really don't want complications on top of that.

Unfortunately, many of the refugees that came over were part of a programme where the government provided financial support to their host families for 6 months, which is now coming to an end. There are therefore increasing numbers becoming homeless. Again, mentioned on a humanitarian basis only - I don't think comment is required as to the efficacy of the government's approach.

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
I don’t think words can explain the good you have done Keith.

My wife’s family are of Ukrainian decent, although they left Dnipro in 1920 according to the family history, they still maintain a real link.

It’s heart warming you know there are people today who will do what you have done these last months, you have really changed lives and given hope.

Gene O.

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Thank you for all you've done, Keith... and to your whole team. It was a much needed, heart-warming story to read at 5 am. I will now spend the next 3 hours scouring news and social media for reports on what took place in Ukraine as I slept comfortably in my bed.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
Really appreciate everyone's comments.

I set off to do this because it was important to me. It felt like an adventure so I wrote up the three journeys, and I thought someone might find it interesting. The engagement on here has been so touching and affirming. Not just that people enjoy reading the adventure, that vicarious experience of the whole thing, but also that so many others care so much about this stuff as well - not just me and few other nutcases. It reassures me that good will prevail.

Rick330man

Tele-Afflicted
Enough can't be said about the need to step up and help those in need - regardless of where they are coming from. Here in the lower Florida Keys we see Cuban refugees on a daily basis arrive on our shores. They risked their lives over 90 miles of open, often-times rough, shark-infested waters to make it to freedom here in the U.S.

What Ukrainians are enduring borders on inconceivable. There simply are not enough words to describe the good in the efforts people like you and your team are making to help them - people truly in need - out when they need it most.

We can't thank you and your team enough.