1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

UK ash dieback

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by mike steel, Nov 7, 2012.

1. mike steel

mike steel Tele-Meister

This goes out to guitar builders and everyone else. Most of the ash trees in this green and pleasant land are going to die due to the lazy indifference of the powers that be.

The fungus Chalara Fraxinea has now reached Northumberland, where I live. Some trees will have genetic resistance and survive, many more will be burnt. Not even as solid fuel, just burnt.

Wood products will not spread the disease if treated properly. I don't think this will mean lots of cheap guitar wood though (due to the costs of treatment plus the usual forestry logistics) and I wouldn't be happy if it did. All this could have been prevented and it sickens me.

2. Henry

Henry Tele-Holic

I read about this just the other day Mike, apparently blown across the North Sea from Europe. Is that right? If so there's not much that could've been done, is there? How is it being dealt with on the Continent? Why wasn't it a story there? It was just a brief article in the corner of a paper here in Oz that caught my eye because it mentioned Ash.

3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw a story on TV about it last night... apparently there's a lot of Ash forests in the UK...

bit a worry for the trees.... they said it was some nasty fungus blowing across from eastern Europe...

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

We lost most of ours in this state, over the past 10yrs..
    bad bug

5. mike steel

mike steel Tele-Meister

Not blown. imported on European saplings in the absence of proper regulations. IMPORTED. can you believe that? Enviromentalists issued their first warnings in 2009 and no one gave a damn.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What a blunder.

This time of year, in the USA, you can see better what's going on back in the woods and here and there, I often find smaller American Chestnut trees or rather growback saplings under 20 feet. It is at that stage the disease once again kills them back, but you can tell from the foliage as it changes color, how grand it must have once been with big swaths of that, at any time of year.

Maybe the thing to do is, take some time off and get acquainted with these forests before they're reduced to pretty much nothing; do it now while you can.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.