Friend of Leo's
ChristensonPhi.jpg

2007 Pirates Alt Unis
zachduke.jpg

when the Red Sox wear there Green unis for St Patricks day and Earth Day
curt-schilling-green-180.jpg

hekawi

Poster Extraordinaire
in 1999, Major League Baseball had a "Turn Ahead The Clock" promotion (kind of an anti-throwback event). the teams had uniforms envisioning what they might look like sometime in the future. all of them were horrible, the worst being the KC Royals as seen here:

royals99.jpg

additional jerseys can be viewed on this site:

http://www.angelfire.com/blues/new_yorker/TATC.html

here's a special treat for you A's green & gold haters...a few times they went all green:

asallgreen.jpg

i'm a real traditionalist when it comes to baseball unis...white and home, grey on the road. pants that go just below the knee, with old school stirrup socks. this is what a baseball player should look like:

musial_big.jpg

FirstBassman

Friend of Leo's
Ya, know, those "1800s" White Sox uniforms with the shorts are really not that bad.

And I'll bet on a 100-degrre August afternoon they'd were appreciated.

FirstBassman

Friend of Leo's
Ya, know, those "1800s" White Sox uniforms with the shorts are really not that bad.

And I'll bet on a 100-degree August afternoon they'd were appreciated.

stealyerface

Tele-Afflicted
Hey Bent,

You know what really made that uni perfect for you? Those white spikes you were sporting! Wow...

My college unis were more like what you would see on a softball team. Light blue over white pants for home games, even lighter blue over pinnies for away games. We were the Blue Devils, and our logo was this little cartoon devil holding a trident and the name Fredonia State written in cursive across the front. Later, the school changed the logo to a much tougher looking devil with a goatee and horns...

The only team we ever played with worse uniforms than us was St. Bonaventure. That brown and yellow-ish combo made their unis look like turds covered with mustard...

syf

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Hey Bent,

You know what really made that uni perfect for you? Those white spikes you were sporting! Wow...

My college unis were more like what you would see on a softball team. Light blue over white pants for home games, even lighter blue over pinnies for away games. We were the Blue Devils, and our logo was this little cartoon devil holding a trident and the name Fredonia State written in cursive across the front. Later, the school changed the logo to a much tougher looking devil with a goatee and horns...

The only team we ever played with worse uniforms than us was St. Bonaventure. That brown and yellow-ish combo made their unis look like turds covered with mustard...

syf

oh man, you had me laughing out loud... more than once in the pregame prayer someone would say "Jesus if you love us, get us some better uniforms"... inevitably among the tittering someone else would say (in their adopted God voice) "If you stop playing like clowns... I will stop dressing you that way"

nothing like baseball fatalism. as for the turds and mustard... you can imagine the excuses for errors "hey man, if I didn't look like crap, I wouldn't play like crap..."

great thread!

robb3566

Tele-Afflicted
Lest we rip on the '70s too much, it's clear that goofy looking baseball suits existed long before that:

70984-004-990A06D1.jpg

And I don't know WHAT'S going on here!:

vintage_baseball_players_circa_early_1900s_poster-p228650857614863881trma_400.jpg

BaseballEarly1900b.jpg

stealyerface

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah, we had quite the number of discussions on the bus rides about how we might end up "losing" the unis that had been passed down through the years, and we could order up some new ones.... never happened.

In fact, I go back every fall and play in the alumni game, and those same uniforms from my days there '87-'91 are now used for "Throwback" days. Seriously. These kids have the new gray pants with the double blue side stripes and button down summer weight tops, and they can't wait to throw on the old stuff we had to wear.

Our tops felt like they were made with double weight polyester with plastic lining. In the Fallball season, they were great because there was no UnderArmor back then, and we played on the shore of Lake Erie.

However, the Spring season was a nightmare. The sun baking down on you and those tops retained heat like nothing I have seen since. I am 6' 8" and apparently there was no big and tall store back then, so the very first warm up pitch I threw, the back of the shirt would come untucked, and become progressively untucked for the remainder of the game. I finally sewed the bottom of a t-shirt onto the bottom of the jersey, to give me some extra tuck-in length...

So on top of the uniforms ranking up there on the ugliness scale, I had a Ben and Jerry's tie-dyed extension sewn onto mine.... lovely.

syf

jonzer

Friend of Leo's
I saw the Astros once in the 70's. My vote goes to them for ugliest....though all the others here are pretty ugly as well.

Telepatio

Tele-Meister
Man, you guys are crazy! I love all those 70's and 80's jerseys! Especially Expos and Padres.

The White Sox softball Uni's get my vote. Hideous.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Hit by pitch?

ha ha! that made me laugh out loud.... almost! It actually broke up the no hitter too....

Rich Dauer was playing third and showing me the respect I deserved (none) so he was super shallow assuming I'd try some dickish move (in the 9th) by trying to drag bunt or something....

Alas, Bordley has amazing stuff and starts with two strikes that embarrass me... then two pitches that almost brain me.... so, I decide.... be a man! go down swinging... the next pitch comes and I hit the weakest popup you've ever seen... twisting, spinning, curving right down the third base line... Dauer turns and tries find it... but it hits in the infield dirt and skitters toward foul territory... with my 'blazing' speed (and rubbernecking the weirdly hit ball) I arrive safe at first... at first gleeful until I see the look in Dave Hostetler's eyes...

USC had a real clubhouse with food, candy, seeds, chew... we cleaned it out after our loss... (but they did not toss a no no against us.)

goldtopper

Friend of Leo's
....SWEET!!!! Kent Tekulve was my hero BITD. I was a pitcher and did submarine thing due to him:)

I loved Tekulve too. I saw a game in Cinnci where he and Candelaria pitched.
Candelaria tossed me a ball from the pen before he went in to pitch.

True story-
My Dad went to school with Kent Tekulve- a different Kent Tekulve! Who'd a thunk two guys had that name...?