Ugh this kid! Parent advice?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Gin Mill Cowboy, May 1, 2020.

1. Gin Mill Cowboy

Gin Mill Cowboy Tele-Meister

My kid is 5yo and she is great. Learning piano, likes music, and even knows my favorite guitar players. The problem is that I can’t start playing guitar for 5 minutes without her coming to harass me - turning tuning pegs, plucking strings, asking to play, etc... Obviously I say No and yell if needed. Sometimes I’ll try to engage her in playing; we even got her a ukulele. However, it always results in no practice for me. I should say that she usually seeks me out guitar or not. Yes, only child syndrome.

Of course now with COVID situation she is home all day, which means no meaningful guitar playing for me at all. Seriously have not played for more than 30minutes since March.

Any guitar playing moms or dads out the have advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Play worse. My son leaves the room when I play.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Treasure it.
    It won’t be long before you’re the most uncool guy on the planet.

Teleka, P Thought, Hey_you and 72 others like this.
  4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is there another parent in the picture? If so, work out some time where you each can do something on your own, while the other pays FULL, undistracted attention to your child.

Even if that's not an option, the full attention bit will help. Just take some time and really give it. Then gradually bring on the idea - no frustration - that you need some time, too. And close the door. Be consistent, maybe a set time of day. And then there's always quiet playing after she's in bed.

scelestus, studio1087, wevard and 4 others like this.
  5. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Father of 4 boys here. 29, 27, 19, 16. They don't stay little long. If mom is around she needs to help you out if there's no door to close for privacy. At 5 she'll understand that you need your practice time and that you'll let her mess around when you're done. Keep the interest. My oldest played drums in a Ska band and now plays guitar performing Irish music. #2 played bass in a screamo band and recorded an album, no longer plays. #3 does electronic music. #4...nada...I keep trying to get him interested. But...they all LOVE music!!!

audiopablo, skunqesh, Jakedog and 2 others like this.
  6. Gin Mill Cowboy

Gin Mill Cowboy Tele-Meister

All good advice. Yeah, the wife works at a hospital and is super busy. My job has always been flexible so I use to practice when the kid and wife were out of the house. I guess I’ll have been spoiled. I never had to practice quietly.
    I think the COVID quarantine thing is getting to me.

Thanks for listening

7. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

yeah, she'll be over you sooner than later.

have you just asked her for a little space?

Treehouse likes this.
  8. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

Wait until she is 13, she won't even touch the guitar if you beg her to...

Or engage her now, and enjoy the relationship for what it is. Practice when she goes to bed (unplugged).

Flakey, wrathfuldeity, Deeve and 7 others like this.
  9. Pontiaddict

Pontiaddict TDPRI Member

I bought a child size guitar for my daughter, not a plastic toy! A real child size nylon string player, every time I played she could the play her own... I have no doubt this saved my collection. I have lent the guitar to others over the years, all have been successful with this “phase”.

26 years later my daughter is still playing music, more keys than guitar but like her mother and I, she truly loves music. You can, and do have a profound effect on your child, enjoy it. 64903568-719B-4225-AF69-F80E044411F5.jpeg

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  10. Jerry J

Jerry J Friend of Leo's

I know this x3

11. Jerry J

Jerry J Friend of Leo's

This is what I did also - to varying success with each son. Too bad because each one is way better than me. I will soon start gifting excess partscasters to each one.

BTW, your Pontiac GTO as your meme is beautiful. Is that your car?

Pontiaddict likes this.
  12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

COVID is unraveling all of us, a bit. Your daughter, too, I'm sure. She probably misses all the attention from her teacher, and friends at school.

We have several grandkids around her age, and while they're dealing pretty well, we can tell they're all affected to some degree. Not least of all, they don't understand why they can't come and see us.

13. Pontiaddict

Pontiaddict TDPRI Member

Thank you and yes, I posted some pictures previously here:
    Let's see your drop tops and roadsters

14. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Nice problem to have, actually. Enjoy it while you can. It won't last forever.

15. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If you search this forum, you will read a lot of us have posted "Been playing for xx years, took a break when the family was young and am getting back into it..."

Not specifically for that reason, but...

16. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Put the guitar down and play with your daughter. That's my answer that I can post here. You asked.

Teleka, Uncle Bob, FLHT and 20 others like this.
  17. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yep; seemed like overnight my son went from holding my hand when we crossed the street to “if you see me with my friends at the mall, pretend like you don’t know me.” Fortunately, it comes back around again.

Ron R, bcorig and Martian like this.
  18. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 Tele-Meister

The one thing you hear people say over and over is “ kids grow up fast” . Time waits for one. Get your kid a guitar and you can play together. Cherish this time.

19. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

1000% agree.

It's crazy how fast this changes. I thought I would have until my kids were teenagers before they stopped thinking I was the most amazing guy in the world.

The reality? It started changing around 6-7, and now my 9yr-old is rolling her eyes and grunting at me on a daily basis lol.

Now when my youngest wants to touch the strings and get in the way when I'm playing guitar, I let her, because I know they're only little for a little while.

You've got the rest of your life to practice guitar, but your kids are only little for a couple years then it's gone forever. Forever.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

The OP is at a party and he’s complaining , not noticing that everyone else (parents with teen kids who won’t listen to complete sentences - “Yeah - I got it ! Stop talking now !”) got freezer-burnt fish sticks, while he’s eating Wagyu medium rare.

Snap out of it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.