Ugh... Rock Band now has Pedals!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TDPRI, May 28, 2009.

1. JosephB

JosephB Tele-Afflicted

does anyone else always get this "compliment"?

"you're so good at guitar; you MUST be good at guitar hero!".

i've gotten it at least twice...usually i end up disappointing the person...i'm horrible at it!

2. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

I don't get the hate either...Not everyone wants to be a real rocker lol I know a classically trained violinist who plays rockband.

3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

actually race car drivers use video games to familiarize themselves with racetracks ... as for Rock Band and Guitar Hero, there is nothing wrong with a fun game, but, i think most of us here would rather play our real guitars ...

4. Slickster

Slickster Tele-Holic

I found this pedal to have a big mid-range hump that I just couldn't get over, though it does sound fairly organic.

I guess I'm just a guitar-cable-console kind of guy.

5. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

That's funny. Now what we need to do is build some tele shaped rock band controllers and sell 'em on the TDPRI as a fund raiser ;)

6. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

That is possibly the sharpest, most pertinent remark I've read so far on the subject.

Up until the age of about 16 I was really into video games. After that, I guess I just grew out of it and picked up guitar. Never grew out of that, though....

7. jmcw

jmcw TDPRI Member

This is my GH/RB theory... Knowledge of how to play a real instrument = suck hard at Rock Band... That's why I usually just stick with the mic... :) which I think can actually help you improve your vocal skills some.

8. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Well enlighten me, if you please...

9. Ivan

Ivan Tele-Holic

Point taken.
    Well the world would be a boring place if we all like the same things. :D

10. Skrik

Skrik Tele-Holic

And what about the numbers of disaffected stockholders?

11. IronStomach

IronStomach TDPRI Member

Of course playing Rock Band won't make you a fantastic musician,although the drums are actually decent for building a basic sense of rhythm, but it's not supposed to! It's a lot more accessible than spending (potentially) thousands of dollars and several years learning to play the guitar/bass/drums. My 12-year old cousins can pick up the game and rock out to some very, very fine music after a few hours of learning where the buttons are - it's for having fun in a social setting (something that a lot of gamers desperately need), and letting people rock out who wouldn't otherwise have that chance. I play games, and I play the guitar, because they're both a lot of fun.

12. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

I'm wondering if it's true bypass, though...

...could be a real tone-sucker, right?

13. outlier

outlier TDPRI Member

Yes, over Christmas at a visit, I was invited to play Rock Band. It was deemed that I would be "great" at it. I declined. I've never played it and have zero interest in it. To be 100% honest, it all just seems stupid to me... Others like it, fine. It's just not for me...

As a guitar teacher, I've also run into the kids that think they will be great at guitar because they've "mastered" Guitar Hero. Talk about a letdown...

I've also run into the kids that just will not practice, but freely admit to playing Guitar Hero several hours a day. There's some sort of lesson there, I just don't know what it is... :rolleyes:

Now, some pictures: ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. jmecale72

jmecale72 Tele-Meister

I've always had a thing for video games. I remember way back when we had an Atari system and all the various systems throughout the years. I remeber the first time I tired Guitar Hero. I got so frustrated and said, "Give me a real guitar and I'll show you a thing or two!!" With that said, I went out and bought Guitar Hero world tour. (The one with the guitar, drums and a mic for vocals) I tell you...it's so much fun. I even have my nephews and neices come over to have fun and play. But one thing about this game is that I appreciate playing guitar for real that much more.

15. JPark

JPark Tele-Afflicted

They make'em. At your local Wal-Mart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. F6_FullMelt

F6_FullMelt Tele-Holic

all big muff pedals and one OD

rockband isn't going to have a very versatile sound...

edit: nevermind, i get it... real pedals next to a rockband one, I thought they just had serious looking pedals for that 'ish...

I was reading a thread about this the other day and it got me thinking about how MAYBE these games are kinda good for a kid to develop a sense of rhythm... At least get people that wouldn't ordinarily be into music thinking about aspects other than just hearing it, maybe?

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  17. Mr.Reed

Mr.Reed Tele-Afflicted

haha, I can't wait for the other pedals!!! Then I can chain my digital delay, chorus, flanger pedals, and make the same spacey sound I make on my real guitar when I'm bored. :D

18. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

dont forget you'll need a RockBand Strobo Tuner

19. Newfie_J.

Newfie_J. Tele-Meister

Fender needs to remove all the strings and junk from a real, wood, full size Tele. That stuff just hurts your fingers anyway.
    Install some clicky buttons, a flicky switch, and a jammy bar!
    Instant seller.:eek:
    I suck at video games but so many people are entertained by rockband that I cant knock it.

Eventually a similar program could be adapted to real guitar.
    Buy a kit, learn your chops, plug and play to an actual real live make believe band and audience, realistic rockstar situations maybe!
    Teaching, practice, performance and improv modes maybe.:idea:
    More rewarding and entertaining than an average jam along cd.

20. JPark

JPark Tele-Afflicted

They already have, but IMO it's difficult to understand, and you have to buy special colored strings to use it... in that case it's much better to just buy a real guitar with real strings and, you know, an amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.