1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ugh... delicate nitro finish

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by WhiskyMan, Oct 20, 2020.

1. WhiskyMan

WhiskyMan TDPRI Member

I don’t baby my guitars, but I make sure to treat them well. I don’t remember bumping this one into anything, but noticed a chip in the finish this morning. Anyone else have this kind of issue with Fender’s nitro finish, or is it just me? 70A33493-7062-494F-A95F-60EF274EFE24.jpeg

2. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

isn't that the whole point?

3. WhiskyMan

WhiskyMan TDPRI Member

I guess, but I was hoping it was a slower decades-long process.

JSMac and rze99 like this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Nitro is inherently soft and delicate. That is the property that makes it simple to repair.

It's also the property that causes it to wear and "age" in the manner many players seem to like.

Greggorios and Steve Holt like this.
  5. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

It would be easy to fix, but you'd quickly find yourself playing a game of whack-a-mole trying to keep up with the new ones. Once you have a half dozen marks like that, you'll stop caring so much.

Greggorios, LPTyler and 41144 like this.
  6. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

You can always hit it with one drop of acetone or lacquer thinner to keep it from lifting. An even smaller drop of super-glue will do the same thing.

natec and JSMac like this.
  7. WhiskyMan

WhiskyMan TDPRI Member

I’m not looking to repair it. Just surprised it happened so soon.

8. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I like nitro finishes that age and it’s part of the charm. Leave it relax and play.

9. aFewGoodTaters

aFewGoodTaters TDPRI Member

The only nitro Fender I've owned was a Strat that had an exceptionally soft finish. It seemed to be much softer, delicate, and more prone to dings and scratches than my nitro Gibsons.

After a couple years of rehearsing and gigging the Strat, it had all kinds of dings, scratches, checking, and clouding around the forearm carve. I personally loved it, but when it was brand new, I remember the first couple of dings stinging a bit.

10. WhiskyMan

WhiskyMan TDPRI Member

It’s like the first scratch on a new car. I was over it in five minutes.

KS6V likes this.
  11. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

This is why i prefer poly. I don't care for finish damage and relics. It's one reason i tend to prefer MIM and even CVs over USA fenders. The stickiness too. If i were to have the fender CS make a guitar for me i'd request poly ! I especially hate a maple board with with dirty wear spots. Why that's so desirable is beyond me. I think theres little doubt the whole nitro craze is largely due to internet buzz and many just follow what they think is hip. (NOT all....not saying that !)

12. WhiskyMan

WhiskyMan TDPRI Member

By pure coincidence, all of my electrics are nitro-finished. My 2010 MIM Road Worn Player Tele has a nitro finish on the body. Since it’s already sort of “beat up”, new dings and nicks don’t bother me. In fact, I even checked the finish the other weekend. But, that guitar hasn’t chipped like the new Jimmy Page mirror tele. I wonder if Fender has changed their nitro formula since 2010.

13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh, Yeah...:rolleyes:.. fly spew or cockroach vomit will do that to nitro...:lol:

just dissolves it....:mad:

14. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

I have two flash-coated Teles with a chip in the same place on each. Top edge where your forearm rests. Have no idea of where they came from. It hurt more on the first, but I don’t really mind at this point. Upside is, who would ever want a dinged AV. Guess I have to keep them. Besides, I much prefer the feel of nitro over the plasticy finish of poly.

15. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Haven't thought about finish but lately been enjoying wear and checking on two instruments that aren't old.

16. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

This is the finish that we lamented disappearing - this is how it behaves

darkwaters likes this.
  17. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

2015 AV64, certainly been/gets played a lot but not intentionally abused ... just got a Flash-Nitro finish that flakes when you look at it! Great guitar tho' :cool:
    Tele19b.JPG

mimmo, Steve Holt, tombm3 and 5 others like this.
  18. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

This is referred to as a pre-relic finish ready for your personal use and abuse. They develop their own character not one from a sander and bag of change and chains.

19. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I got a Wildwood thin skin Tele in the spring. It now has a few marks like in the OP. Some are bigger.

It does not bug me. It's just par for the course.

20. TwangBrain

TwangBrain Tele-Meister

I have a weird relationship with nitro finishes. I have a handful of guitars with them, and I like 'em, and I've finished my personal parts assemblies with nitro and it's easy to use. However, I don't like the fragility. And I cannot STAND the "thin finish" gimmick. I like super tough finishes that can hold-up well under play and stress. It's funny, I've seen players that trim their eyebrows, wear eyeliner, dye their hair to cover grey, and use products on there skin to keep the wrinkles away...and they like playing the most beat-up CS relic guitars through the most crazy expensive amp setups. It doesn't bug me, but it always makes me laugh a little.

DeepDangler, RodeoTex and WhiskyMan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.