Uber Password Reset Email

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-rain, Feb 19, 2020.

1. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

I received an email that says someone tried to reset my password, and please click here to reset, or if you did not make this request, click here. I know these are usually spammy type things, so my instinct is to ignore the email. But should I log onto Uber separately and change my password myself? Actually I don't even know my password, so I'd have to reset it myself anyway, but then I'd know the email came from my own request.

I searched online and there's a whole thread about this on Reddit, so it does seem to be a very recent phishing attempt. Anyone else getting hit with this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/uber/comments/f1blxc/request_to_reset_password/

2. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Never click.
    Always go directly where you normally go.
    If you don’t remember the password, you don’t use it, ignore it

GuitLoop and Chunkocaster like this.
  3. tele-rain

Well, I think i'd want to change it on my own just to be safe. So I did just go to the Uber site separately, clicked "forgot password", and received a text with a security code, then received email to reset. However, it looks exactly like the suspicious one, so I don't know if I can trust that one either. I wonder if Uber is hacked somehow

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing is really safe anymore, I much preferred it when thieves had to physically mug me for my hard earned cash.

tele-rain likes this.
  5. tele-rain

Well, I hit up the Twitter Uber Assist account and DMed them. Saw a few similar tweets from today, they asked for the phone number to look into the issue. In the meantime, I managed to reset my password by my own means, and turned on the 2 step authorization thingy. A bit after that, the Uber rep got back to me via DM and said after checking my account, my most recent trip was....blah blah blah If this does not look right, let them know and they'll look into it further. It was correct.

What confused me most though was the FIRST time I went to reset the password by my own means, I got a text with an Uber code to plug in. So then how come when I did sign in, the two step thing wasn't turned on yet? Very strange, indeed. I'm fine for now, but I will be keeping an eye on my Uber account and my CC associated with said account.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They keep saying how modern technology saves so much time but I have spent many hours and lost about a week off work over the past few months just dealing with issues involving modern tech, internet, mobile phone, banking, account passwords etc. Add to that my home phone being bombarded so much by scammers, "charities" and surveys that I had to abandon it and I really wonder where the advantage in using it all is.
    I cant even discuss anything involving my home utilities or mobile and internet without being placed on hold by foreign call centres and then being talked down to by some kid in broken English.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    tele-rain likes this.
  7. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I got this email too.

tele-rain likes this.
  8. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

When you get a message like this...text, email, etc....dont interact with the message in any way...like clicking a link, responding to it, or opening an attachment. If you think the message may be real...reach out to the company by phone or website using a number or link you have used in the past.

Same goes for if someone calls you and claims to be from a company you do business with. Tell them you will call them back and dont give out any personal info on the incoming call.

Stay safe out there! It's a jungle. Personally I'm amazed at this point we dont have a way of tracking and putting these criminals in jail. Hopefully that's coming soon.

tele-rain and marc2211 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.