Uber Ordered to Halt Driverless Cars on Day of SF Launch

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tap4154, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^In-frickin-deed

2. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Every thing a human driver can detect and react to quickly that a computer can't is equaled, roughly, by the number of ways a human driver can become distracted. Driver-less cars will be safer by a wide margin. Control freaks, you will be out of luck. Driving your own car will require insurance so high it will be out of reach for all but the very wealthy.

I have had several friends who were excellent drivers, with perfect driving records who died in accidents. Good drivers feel invincible when they are driving. They are in control and it can be very satisfying. You see other people driving poorly and feel even better about yourself. The reality is that your control is limited and you can't control other drivers.

Driver-less vehicles will have accidents but they will be far fewer. It won't be much different than getting on a airplane. You are surrendering control. It's mostly on auto pilot and you have to trust someone else to keep an eye on it.

3. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

...and thus, drivers will be mandated off the roads, being insurance is the second largest lobbyist,...
    And if you bought a conventional car the year before, you just lost $40,000.
    You cannot insure both on the same road.
    I see a huge social upheaval here, perhaps the biggest we've yet to see.
    The gap between have and have nots.
    Uber riders, and robot car owners.
    The war on middle class won without a shot.

4. walpow

walpow Tele-Meister

My wife and I are continually amazed at how quickly driverless cars are being foisted on us. Yeah, there are myriad ways a human driver can screw up, but artificial intelligence just isn't far enough along for us to trust a car to make all necessary decisions correctly. I've been working with computers since 1973, and with all the advances we've seen since then, one truth that is still true is that programming is only as good as the programmer makes it.

And don't even get me started on letting everyone and his brother buy a drone ...

5. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

The bit about what MS cars would be like has been around quite a while.

http://www.snopes.com/humor/jokes/autos.asp

6. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

As someone who walks around on the streets of San Francisco every day, I'm all for the self-driving cars. They will at least obey the traffic laws. Most of the drivers here are either maniacs or idiots.

7. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

"All vehicles will be moving down the highway at the exact same speed and in perfect marching order."

Sounds like Line Dancers at a Country bar!

8. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

I can remember in the 70's, science said we were headed for another ice-age.

9. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Exactly. And while it hasn't made it mainstream (meaning it's part of the the culture at large) some scientists are starting to question Darwin's specific take on evolution, and the Big Bang as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.