1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Uber Ordered to Halt Driverless Cars on Day of SF Launch

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tap4154, Dec 14, 2016.

1. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

2. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

What's crazy is the driverless car spokesperson blaming the human driver of a driverless car, that is so safe, it doesn't require a driver. My head hurts now.

esetter and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  3. tap4154

Can't tell if they're inferring the "co-driver" overrode the driver/computer, or if they failed to stop when the driver/computer kept going. This will be a huge mess for insurance when someone gets killed.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  4. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

My thoughts exactly!! Also, I don't want to the human guinea pig on which someone's beta software package is tested upon. I didn't agree to that.

5. tap4154

In effect, everyone driving or walking in SF is participating in this driverless Uber beta test, whether they like it or not.

Obsessed, cnlbb and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  6. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

I am not buying into driverless cars. What if it is applying updates, needs the latest version of .Net framework, or has a password problem? Ka-blammo!

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Once driverless cars are even halfway implemented, the fatality rates on the highways will plummet.

This isn't debatable so don't debate it.

So - as I said to my insurance industry flack sister, the risk will go way down and obviously so should insurance rates .

But, I told her, you know and I know they're already in strategy meetings on how best to introduce the rate hikes that they will impose and somehow justify.

And we'll take it...

awasson, Steve Holt and Sandhill69 like this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

What if the driverless car is texting or drunk or distracted by all the other teens in the car or flies into a rage at another driver or...

Hey wait - we won't have any of that - like we do now...;)

Still , average old American response to change : (shakes fist at sky)

awasson, Steve Holt and Grant Austin like this.
  9. tap4154

Hmmm... "the debate is over".

Let's see, where have I heard that before?

Nevermind.

IMHO a bunch of computers with numerous sensors and algorithms that may or may not be well-maintained, working or updated may be just as bad a group of drivers as the human beings in various states of sobriety and attention-to-the-road we have now.

And don't EVEN debate that! :D

10. Mike Eskimo

IMHO : science.

11. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

As someone that drives the speed limit or under on the hwy sometimes I fail to see why I need a computer to drive my car for me. I haven't had any accidents that were my fault. I like being in control of the vehicle because I am pretty good at avoiding dangerous situations. I think they can probably work most of the driverless vehicle problems out. Besides the fact that I am smarter than a computer which isn't going to change no matter how many teraflops they can process. You can teach a computer judgement but I don't want to live in a world where computers take that part of our lives away. Driverless cars, a computer judge. A computer as head of state. Soylent green. There are a lot of judgement calls that have a lot more to do with right or wrong or split second decisions and I don't ever want a computer to do that for me. We actually have driverless transportation systems that are really good and still have someone at the helm they're called trains. There are a lot less of them and they get into wrecks all the time. Figure they are on rails. I do not think it's a good idea to make two hundred million more automated vehicles and let them run loose on our roads and hwys.

gtrjunior likes this.
  12. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Or what if it's hacked[emoji15]

8barlouie and John Backlund like this.
  13. tap4154

Debate is never over in science, or anything for that matter. Your claim is the same as mine, an opinion. Also based on an assumption that computers and sensors will function perfectly and be maintained properly. IMHO it's better to assume they won't function perfectly or be maintained properly, because that's the real world.

Flakey and haggardfan1 like this.
  14. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Driverless cars... Imagine everyone driving the speed limit, staying in his lane, obeying all the traffic signals. 'Taint gonna happen.

15. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My wife got a ticket for running a stop sign this morning. It's an epidemic! The robots are infecting us!

16. tap4154

Agreed about the slit second decisions we make, also utilizing clues/things a computer cannot by looking at other driver's faces and actions to determine if they're paying attention, or about to jerk the wheel and change lanes, the condition of their car, seeing that flopping mattress about to fly off the roof, on and on. In doing this we can take preventative actions, like moving away when we see a driverless Google car or drunk driver.

So IMO we humans get and process constant clues about the possible behavior of cars around us in many ways that a hard drive and sensors simply cannot.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  17. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Bingo!
    Not going to happen, why would governments lose tha huge source of revenues

18. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Exactly.... our Gov is drunk on traffic fines.... their budget would collapse without them and cops wouldn't get paid....

19. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Fortunately, you framed that as an opinion, seeing as how science is never mistaken.

20. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

I would like to think that we recognize the advantages, but don't rush towards an imagined future so fast that it causes a problem. Change isn't bad, but it has to be carefully planned and executed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.