UA Ruby Question

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
I purchased a UA Ruby pedal and it arrived earlier this week. I’ve been playing with it a bunch since I got it. I’m playing it through the front of my amps (go figure), with no intentions of using it’s direct out ability. I think the normal channel is the best sounding “colored boost” I’ve ever played, and the harmonic trem on the vibrato channel sounds fantastic. I hate the brilliant channel.

The brilliant channel has a very loud “hum” when the volume knob (my understanding is this the gain control) is past 9:00, and I’m getting odd “artifacts” on the note decay with the vibrato/normal channels when volume is past 10:00 regardless if I use the internal cab sims or not.

I have no intentions of running the pedal direct, and purchased it as an “amp in a box” pedal. Basically at this point I see it as a fantastic colored boost, but not much else for my rig. What am I missing?

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
I have no intentions of running the pedal direct, and purchased it as an “amp in a box” pedal. Basically at this point I see it as a fantastic colored boost, but not much else for my rig. What am I missing?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but one thought is: what you are missing now is about $200.

There are many highly thought of “amp in a box” versions of the AC-30 that can be had for $150-$200, vs. the $400 price tag of the UA Ruby.

I think part of what you pay for in the Ruby (or similar, Iridium,) is the ampless approach for performing live, plus all the digital/IT capabilities - sort of like getting GarageBand in a pedal.

Maybe download the app? Explore all the functionality available? Actually trying to be helpful here, sorry.

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
Not to put too fine a point on it, but one thought is: what you are missing now is about $200.

There are many highly thought of “amp in a box” versions of the AC-30 that can be had for $150-$200, vs. the $400 price tag of the UA Ruby.

I think part of what you pay for in the Ruby (or similar, Iridium,) is the ampless approach for performing live, plus all the digital/IT capabilities - sort of like getting GarageBand in a pedal.

Maybe download the app? Explore all the functionality available? Actually trying to be helpful here, sorry.
I appreciate it, and I agree. I’ve played around with the app a bit, and I really do like what the Ruby does (i.e. adds a nice crunch to my base tone and cuts a bit of bass), but I can get pretty close with my KTR set as a clean boost (midrange is different and KTR has more bass).

I play mostly at home, but sometimes with friends and occasionally at church (hoping for more oppertunities at church in the near future). It would be great to show up to church with just my board and guitar. Right now I bring my Ox box and an amp which allows me to run silent (I really hope that UA comes out with an update for the Ox allowing it to be used as a recording interface, but I’m not holding my breath).

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
Can you post clips?
I’m in the middle of packing my house for a move next week (new job, new city, new state). I can only record through my phone at this point. I’ll try and get a clip later today/tomorrow.