U2

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Dan R, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

I'd suspect same reason as Sting, Slash and Flea. Nicknames, easy to remember, schtick, etc.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You know what's even weirder, go listen to Zac Brown Band's latest album. It sounds like they formed a Supergroup with Coldplay and Taylor Swift. It's super super weird. I know they were always "Country Lite" and my wife still thinks they're Country but holy cow have they moved away.

I totally hear you on U2 kind of moving away from their sound in weird ways to stay relevant. I totally get people getting annoyed with Bono's pretentiousness. It's totally irrational since he has Glaucoma but his always wearing the weird sunglasses gets to me. The albums definitely dipped in quality from 2004 till recently, with the one they gave away free on iTunes probably being the worst. If that had been the 2nd coming of the Joshua Tree and had been their best album ever people would have hated them a lot less. Instead it's probably their worst. But the latest one is a bit better IMO.

But all the hating on U2 online has gotten really old and the whole "They're not that talented thing/Edge can't play" thing has really jumped the shark. It's always people who either don't play in a band or who play in a local bar band/cover band who seem to crap on them, which just smacks of jealousy. If no one has heard of you and you don't even have a CD you're probably not as much better than U2 than you think.

Personal aside I have this weird thing where I am stuck playing "In a Little While" when I noodle. The triad melody and then chords in that song are great.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Mad Kiwi likes this.
  3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

The joined in the 70s. You know. The same era that brought us Sting, Sid Vicious, and Johnny Rotten?

Brian Krashpad and dlew919 like this.
  4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I haven't like anything after Joshua Tree. But I still consider them one of my fav bands. U2 and REM helped me survive my teenage years. No question.

I haven't like anything after Green, either. We get older. Times change, etc... It is what it is.

I finally saw U2 on the Joshua Tree reunion-esque tour. I thought the sound was gawdawful, and I spent way too much. Too many drunk people, smoking, etc.... My kids pretty much stayed on their phones. BUT, I finally got to see them live. They were good. But the event was really more nostalgic for me than anything. I never go to huge reunion tours and huge stadium shows for the above reasons. But this one was worth it. They meant the world to me as a teenager, and I never got to see them. I had no desire to see them in the 90s, and I had already seen REM twice by then. That said, I will never pay to see them again.

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

That's simple - the Edge was going to the Border but it wasn't edgy enough.

Bono was simply paying homage to Sonny. Anything wrong with that?

Brian Krashpad likes this.
  6. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Seeing that I Will Follow video made me recognize for the first time the little Joy Division thing they've got going on there. I guess the timing and the place was right for that.

7. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Totally in character for them and very punk rock. Apple's complicity, however, I don't quite grasp.

8. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

9. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Just my opinion, but when they come on the radio I switch stations.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.