U2

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Dan R, Sep 15, 2019.

1. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Bona fide rockstars, with the tunes and the sales to go with it.

Annoyed the **** out of me when they conspired with Apple to force their LP onto iPad owners.

2. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Yes.

;)

gkterry likes this.
  3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

The audience shout their approval and sing along if we do some U2 numbers. So that says a lot.

Some of their tax scams are a bit iffy given some of the broader stuff Bono engages with but as a band they are a solid group that had been delivering the good for a long time.

Bono.. named by his teen mates after a Bonavox hearing aid shop in Dublin apparently.

The Edge... dunno.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  4. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Joke I heard in Dublin

“What’s the difference between Bono and God?

God doesn’t walk around Dublin thinking he’s Bono.”

Have to admire that they have stuck together. I remember when they were sort of a punk band. Then everything got all pumped up with grandiosity. Everything is pitched for a stadium. It gets tiresome. They have some great songs that I like in small doses. I never will forgive them for force-loading an album I didn’t want, like I was supposed to be grateful.

EllroyJames and Greggorios like this.
  5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Uncle Bob, Greggorios and Chuckster like this.
  6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Do you think the lawyers who set up U2’s Netherlands tax haven are pro bono?

7. Grey_Melbourne

Grey_Melbourne TDPRI Member

I'm a fan. Not a huge fan - but they have some truly great songs and are still relevant after 30 or so years. Not many bands can say that.
    I saw them in the mid eighties in a smallish arena, and again about 8 years ago in a stadium - both times brilliant.

8. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

I saw them at their second or third show in the States, ever, first tour ("Boy"). They flew into Orlando, and the airline lost their luggage. They were wearing the same clothes they flew over in, with the Edge in an embarrassing tie-dye shirt I'm sure he never meant to be seen in onstage. Their brogues were still pretty heavy. Played an on-campus bar/cafeteria called the Rathskellar, that many local bands (including my first band) played. At the University of Florida, Gainesville.

Also saw them a few years later at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Jax, Florida.

I get all the downsides and that Bono rubs many people (especially those who disagree with his politics) the wrong way. But frankly they've handled superstardom way better than most, can still put out a decent song, and have all the original members. Something to be said for that.

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

never understood the whole "hate a band" thing you either like them or you dont, for their contribution to the music realm, I would listen to them with out issue and have never found them offensive, plus I like the guitar approach to their recording, its no where near the cookie cutter mold of playing and song writing

even Toby Keith who was a real puke on stage and his stage manager as well I have nothing against his songs , but I would never buy his records

Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

never understood the whole "hate a band" thing you either like them or you dont, for their contribution to the music realm, I would listen to them with out issue and have never found them offensive, plus I like the guitar approach to their recording, its no where near the cookie cutter mold of playing and song writing

even Toby Keith who was a real puke on stage and his stage manager as well I have nothing against his songs , but I would never buy his records

Greggorios likes this.
  11. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

There was a period in my life where I totally gave up listening to Rock music of any kind.
    U2 is the band that brought me back with their fresh sound and desire to make a difference.
    Saw them a couple years ago and they were amazing!

Uncle Bob, Greggorios and felis like this.
  12. Gaz_

Gaz_ TDPRI Member

My first real album purchase was "All that you can't leave behind" and I loved it.

But where the street have no name will always been in my top ten. Always.

But I wouldn't listen to anything the released since 2004. Weird how the mind works isn't it.

13. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I recall they were one of the first MTV hits. Not sure how the history is written now, but they stood out in 1982 when MTV came online nationally (big deal). They endured, while other bands were exploring synth layers and quasi-punk themes. They made good music with unique sound, Bono did great leads, the subject matter was edgy enough to present a serious artistic motivation, etc. Bono was honest years later, when he admitted they transformed into a machine designed to make money, appeal to more popular themes, and that the band was having big fun with it all, leaving some of their artistic goals behind. I can't fault him or the band for evolving that way - WE design the market that they are pleasing.

Whatizitman and nojazzhere like this.
  14. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

I was a huge fan... bought Boy about a month after it came out and was hooked until the Rattle and Hum sellout. October is by far my favorite album.

Played in a U2 cover band as a kid... Black Strat and a Vox AC-30. I recently picked up an Explorer so my rig is pretty complete now. Visited Windmill Lane in Dublin, etc.

Saw them 13 times, the first time was at the Orpheum Theater in Boston in May of '83. I still listen to Boy and October from time to time, and I have a great selection of Japanese pressings of some rare 45s.

As for now... eh. I love the Edge and everything he does, and some songs have been tremendous over the years (Until The End of the World is outstanding), but I'm fading.

Bruxist, Greggorios and felis like this.
  15. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

Love some of their stuff....but could do without a lot of Bono's being Bono.
    Always thought this parody hits the nail of the head.

Bruxist and Greggorios like this.
  16. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Same here.

I was 16 & playing the clubs when "Boy" came out... It was refreshing, and I've been a fan ever since.
    Fast forward to 1997 and I finally got a chance to see them. I worked in music store at the time and mentioned how much I like "The Edge". Everyone laughed at me... :rolleyes:

I know the guy wasn't a very good "traditional" guitar player, but he carved a new path and style that has been tremendously influential.... that can't be denied whether one likes that style or not.

I never get tired of that album... perhaps because radio has avoided it since the day it came out :lol:

There is no arrogance, or oddness about this at all... I'm surprised it's a concern to so many people. It's simple.... they became famous before they could shed their teenage nicknames.

Angus Young still wears a school boy uniform in his 60's.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  17. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

I saw them on the Unforgettable Fire tour. I only went because there was this girl - she liked U2, I liked her . . .

I never got the girl but it was the best live music experience I have ever had. So I'm a fan. They have a unique and compelling sound, thanks mostly (IMHO) to Edge's creativity and Brian Eno's production and influence. Edge can play straight up pentatonic blooz-rock licks (there's a video on the net of him doing so in the early days) but he chooses to create something new instead. I totally respect that.

Uncle Bob and Greggorios like this.
  18. clayville

clayville TDPRI Member

Loved the (naive) passion, frenzy and anger of the early albums, really admire the craft of the middle albums (and the hand of Lanois and Eno on the wheel). Like many, I sometimes grow weary of Bono's bombast, his worst instincts. Seeing them live I've been known to get as swept up in the sing-along emotion as the next guy... but The Edge's playing is so technical, so absolutely fx-dependant that I come away with a lingering sense of U2 as the "World's Greatest U2 Cover Band" - there's not much room for improv or adaptation, only replication of the album sound.
    I'm sure that's fine with the vast majority of the audience, who want the same buttons pushed (inside) that the albums did. But the musician in me longs to be surprised, to have the old made new again through reinterpretation every once in a while. There's a "human juke box" aspect to them live that seems as much like a parlor trick as performance (if that makes any sense). Extremely good at it... but still.

Greggorios likes this.
  19. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Not my favorite U2 song, but even 'our' most apathetic crowds react when I start the intro of "Where the streets have no name"!
    People recognize it instant, like it, start interacting. That counts for me, so we play it! ;)

20. Heathfinn

Heathfinn Tele-Meister

U2 were for years my favorite band back in the 80s and 90s. Now I have a very hard time listening to them. I feel that back then they were always up for an experiment (see Zooropa, Passengers, even October was a bit of departure etc). Now I feel they are trying desperately to stay "relevant" as hit makers, which is actually lowering the quality of the material. I heard a song or two off the new Taylor Swift album and was thinking "I could hear U2 doing the song exactly this way". I feel they should care less about "hits" and focus on going back to being innovative and just doing what they want. It's as if they went from BEING the innovators to sounding like the bands that are influenced by them, like the Killers and Coldplay.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.