U2

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Dan R, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

This band has a presence and that has carried them far. I'll give Bono his lead singer rock star persona. They have made some significant records over the years.

Any U2 fans here?

2. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I went and saw them on the rattle and hum tour. I bought the ticket to see BB king, (who was supporting them) with the aim of seeing BB and then leaving. However I stayed, and it was one of the best rock shows I saw. Not many lights, just the four of them. I’m a fan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nojazzhere and Dan R like this.
  3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Love U2. In spite of Bono.

4. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

I am conflicted. As a kid I loved them. Then I stopped after Zooropa and never got back on board. Too much bombast, too geared to stadium rock, too much Bono, not enough band. But before that, a catalogue to rival anyone.

5. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I appreciate their "social conscience," as it were, and they've certainly improved as musicians. Not sure I can get past people naming themselves "The Edge" and "Beautiful Voice." If someone can explain that silliness, I will re-evaluate...

6. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Count me in. I think they're great. Really fresh and creative sound and songwriting. I have tremendous admiration and respect for The Edge's guitar playing. I really think they're a band of 4 unique individuals whose sum is greater than their individual parts. Always looking forward to hearing what their next effort will sound like. I also think they've stayed pretty true to the music despite all the super-group stuff. Joshua Tree is an amazing record. Here's Springsteen inducting them into the R&R Hall of Fame...funny and I think reflects his respect and fondness for them.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    GGardner and Macrogats like this.
  7. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Wow, I never heard that induction speech before. It was genuinely entertaining--particularly from 2:15 to end. Thanks, Greggorious.

dlew919 and Greggorios like this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I am a fan. Something many people don't realize about Bono and the band is that they are often flying without a net, so to speak. Yes, with all the pre-recorded parts, they have to stick to the "plan"....but there are parts that Bono is winging it and improvising (within limits), and the others (particularly Larry) have to be on their toes and paying attention. There's a spot in a live in New York video where Bono is holding a note for longer than normal, and Larry brings everyone back in just as Bono's wind runs out. You can see a look of gratitude from Bono at Larry right after. Say what you will about them, but they play together like a BAND.

9. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

First off the social conscience thing is an absolute hypocrisy given their wealth and tax free status. But they deliver as a band and a couple of their tunes still cause goosebumps - a sort of homecoming comes to mind whenever I fly back to Dublin airport.
    Secondly, there's a very good reason why few bands cover them, it's very difficult to sound like u2 and pull their music off convincingly .

Macrogats and bender66 like this.
  10. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister

I never got the hate for them, the "Atmosphere Rock Still Sucks" T-shirts. Joshua Tree is a work of art if any rock album is worthy of that title.
    And for all the guitarists who hate on the Edge: funny how so many people sound at least a little like him. Love him or hate him, he really affected the the sound of modern electric guitar.
    Does anybody still play like Eddie Van Halen? Sure, he plays the instrument better (than just about anybody)) but what lasting effect did he have?
    Even beer commercials sound like the Edge))

11. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Boy, October, & War were pretty much my high school soundtrack. I actually got in fights for listening to "that pink rock". Love Under A Blood Red Sky concert footage. Still young kids.

They lost me at Unforgettable Fire. Joshua Tree is nauseating. I became interested in Achtung Baby but the "hits" get in the way. Zooropa has some moments, but as mentioned Bono's personality is a bit much. Not much changing these days so I guess they'll ride it into the sunset. Good for them.

12. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

This:

Gaz_ likes this.
  13. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

The lyrics, humorlessness, and ridiculous bombast are major turn-offs for me. Most of the lyrics sound like they were designed straight for a car commercial. But I can't deny the power of some of the arrangements and the staying power of the tunes. Certainly the most enduring band to come out of the 80s. It sounds weird now, but Pride was "alternative" and very edgy, in the time and place I was coming up. It was a million miles away from Poison and Def Leppard and really turned my head musically. Of course by the time Joshua Tree came out I was listening to the Dead Kennedys and local punk / whatever bands, but still they made a mark on me at a formative age.

14. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Isn't bombast a GREAT feature of a major/mega rock band?

I dont know about anyone else but I WANT my big league rock bands too have that. :)

Rattle and Hum...Bullet the Blue sky. Fantastic.

Uncle Bob and dlew919 like this.
  15. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Green light 7-11...

is that all it is?...

I remember recording this concert on video off the tv back then.... Sydney Zooropa show...

I was watching this song close up and thought, is that all it is?,, sliding an open E shape along the neck....

cool..got the guitar out and learned the song off the video.... thanks guys..:)

Bruxist and bender66 like this.
  16. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

BoDeans opened for them in IC ... Joshuah Tree ... chemically enhanced ... Ms. Nutz saw ‘em for the first time a year and a half ago ...

KILLER show on ALL accounts!

17. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

I alternate between ''I love them'' and " f*** U2"

AngelStrummer likes this.
  18. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

19. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Why do they have funny names like The Edge and Bono?

Greggorios likes this.
  20. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

Don't like them at all

HotRodSteve, duzie and Rowdyman like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.