1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

U.S Auto manufacturers don't really "get it" do they?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nahtabot, Oct 21, 2020.

1. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

I was looking at pickups recently and was wondering how people who need them to make a living can afford to buy a truck?

Do construction workers really want luxury pickups that cost $50K?

2. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Around 2030 in 9 short years time most mfgs wont sell combustion engines any longer.
    Several of them have this in their long time strategy.
    Like it or not , things will change rather rapidly

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Change is just around the corner.

4. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Good points. Remember that Toyota has been a major influence on and investor in Tesla.

https://www.motor1.com/news/21845/toyota-to-invests-50-million-in-tesla-co-develop-ev-technology/

Also, be aware that Elon Musk is looking increasingly as greedy and arrogant as the old guard US captains of the automobile industry.

https://jalopnik.com/why-elon-musk-is-getting-owned-over-bolivias-election-1845412773

https://theintercept.com/2020/10/19...to-power-one-year-after-a-u-s-applauded-coup/

Bolivia has found itself with a valuable resource. Let them have sovereignty over it without interference.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  5. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

The auto manufacturers and execs will build what sells, and what's going to be saleable decades down the road. Development cycle for cars is really long. No offense to the OP but when I see some of these sentiments (common and not just here) it feel like it's just outlier preferences versus the market, or irrational nostalgia. It's still entirely possible to get an F150 XL or Chevy W/T. We see the club cab Bill Blass Big Swingin' Longshaft editions on the road because people buy them.

Planned obsolescence... ehh. Until the last few years I worked as a field engineer and put ridiculous miles on a series of unexceptional new cars. I think they're mostly all good, and more reliable/longer lasting than they've ever been. I'm old enough to have lived with 70s and 80s American garbage, carburetors, points, two Iron Dukes... I don't think anybody's lost their way.

My family includes four kids and we've got a three-row SUV and a van. A few friends turn their nose up at the apparent big gas guzzler without understanding that it isn't (25 mpg) and is actually pretty necessary.

MarkieMark likes this.
  6. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

There’s a joke there somewhere, punch line ‘what did her mother say?’..............Answer ‘baa!’. You can probably work out the story from that.............over here it was set in Wales.

Drew617 likes this.
  7. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Must admit I could never see the logic in taking a workhorse on cart suspension with 50%+ of the body work a tin bath and fitting it out with leather and wood. It ain’t ever gonna be a true truck or luxury car.

8. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I think the American car companies believe we'll buy whatever junk they throw our way, regardless of the reality.

I remember in 1970 going to a Plymouth/Chrysler showroom with my father to look at a car and there were screws sticking out where someone was just too lazy to screw them all the way in. The dealership had it on the showroom floor. I guess I remember because my father was so disgusted.

When the gas crisis hit in the 70's, my uncle bought a Chevy Vega and my father bought a Toyota Corolla. The Vega was a piece of junk, the ride was awful, it broke down a lot and it was just incredibly cheaply made. My father put over 200,000 miles on the Toyota before he finally sold it.

All of my American Cars have cost much more to keep on the road than any of the foreign cars I've owned. I'd rather buy American, but I'm not throwing my money away.

Drew617 likes this.
  9. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Same in the UK. When I started driving almost 50 years ago we had British Leyland, Ford and Rootes. We could all work on them p, which was good in so much that we had to to keep them running. Cold morning air was filled with the sound of batteries struggling to try and turn over engines fast enough for them to actually start. The air was full of smoke from oil leaking through piston rings and being burnt alongside the leaded petrol. You’d spend time underneath picking away at rust and using Isopon to fill the hole left behind. If you went up market you may get a rear screen heater so that was one less piece of glass to scrape or try and keep clear with a pathetic heater. If didn’t, you could buy one made of sticky backed tinfoil and fit it yourself, usually not quite central or straight. You couldn’t over use it though, it drew mega amos and at tickover you could hear the engine note change when you turned it on. My first Cortina (Taurus, I think in the US), had an automatic choke. This achieved two things over the usual manual choke. First, it took away any means of the driver regulating how much choke was needed, which would mean flooding the carb. was common. Second it took away the only place to hang your takeaway on a Saturday night.
    Air conditioning was way above most people’s’ spend until about 1980 if I remember.
    Safety belts were soon made a legal requirement but airbags and crumple zones were rare.
    And a thought. How often do you see a car broken down beside the road these days? Not nearly as often. We might be limited as to what we can fix at home with some screwdrivers and a socket set but, the fact is, the need to do so is far less.
    Finally, in real money, what does a new, basic car, fitted with standard kit that was once the preserve of the likes of Rolls Royce cost, relative to the same thing, fitted with next to nothing, back then? Not much.

Nahtabot and Drew617 like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I rode in a nearly new Lincoln back in the winter of 1963. I don't believe I've ever had such a nice experience riding in an automobile before or since.

Rowdyman, Nahtabot and schmee like this.
  11. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

This X 1000.

they thought they could bring back the name and with it bring back the luxury customers they had lost. But, they didn’t have a vehicle to compete with say a MB C or E class, or a BMW 3 or 5. And folks like Lexus, Acura and Infinity were already entrenched. And Kia and Hyundai were coming up from behind.

12. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

Like the Ford F-150 dually crew cab with chrome bumpers and aftermarket amber lights all over it.
    Sometime in the 2000s truck prices rivaled luxury car prices.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Those massive bench seats were like a bed!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Sadly , this has no contextual connection to my post .
    If it helps , I have 2 motorcycle with a kick starter (1 has no starter at all ) , 3 with carburetors , 3 trucks with carburetors and mechanical fuel pumps and I just finished walking 3 miles , give or take . 2 of the trucks are radio delete and all of them have manual transmissions . Call me a Luddite if you must , but I don't need a computer to work on any of them .

15. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Left over work truck 2015 .Got it in 2016 21000

Drew617 likes this.
  16. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Does what I want it to 20201022_164322.jpg

Nahtabot and Drew617 like this.
  17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a cousin who was a trucker for a large utility company. If he saw a nice one of those, he'd stop and buy it, and if he was dead heading load it up and haul it home. He had four of five of them. A friend of his was bragging about his Mercedes one day, he said I had a wreck yesterday, and I was unharmed. My cousin asked what hit you? The guy said a small Toyota. My cousin said if you'd been driving my Lincoln you could have driven it home.

Rowdyman and schmee like this.
  19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yeah
    Yeah , those things were a beast. I worked at the Lincoln-Mercury dealer back in the day. The brakes on those Lincoln's were like F250 brakes! Huge. Not to mention the 430 cu inch engines. With the no post 4 dr suicide doors the frame was big too to keep the whole thing from flexing. But on the road, those cars were real quiet inside.

20. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

Irrational nostalgia? No offense but you realize this is a Telecaster forum, right?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.