U.S Auto manufacturers don't really "get it" do they?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nahtabot, Oct 21, 2020.

1. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

They want to expand to a site there for Asian market production.. not to build cars there and ship them back to the US. China will likely transition to more EVs faster than we will.

They want to move to Texas for US production. It's not easy to move... who knows what will happen.

2. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

Right. The execs at these companies (among others) are presumed to be so insightful and clever. That's not how it works. Societies reward people with what they prioritize. Prestige and money and titles end up in the hands of people who placed those things at the top of the priority list - which has nothing to do with wisdom or judgment or willingness to do the difficult but correct thing.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  3. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

what about luxury pickup trucks,everything imaginable on a pickup?
    why,? I have seen pickups that looked like the luxury packages were picked out by middle school kids , bling, bling, bling, bling, everywhere you look, form is not following function.
    Well I don't get a vote, 'cause I through with the internal combustion engine, and the insurance industry and the oil industry and the rip off service centers. The Bicycle is my chosen mode and it works for me. bless everyone still driving a car, 'cause yall sure got a plate fulla mess to put up with.

000 wild bill.jpg

Rocky058 and Toast like this.
  4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

They're mostly out of touch with reality though. The magazines are written by a bunch of guys who have cars delivered to them free, expense the gas & repairs, and seem to have lots of connections required to go to the track all the time and flagrantly break the law without consequences when they're "testing" cars out on the public roads.

So their sense of priorities is wacked, like an 18 year old boy who was given a blank check and a get out of jail free card.

The journalists complain about steering feel and slalom times and gloss over the high maintenance costs & practical issues in the real world. In the real world the cars sit in traffic and aren't going out to strafe mountain roads at 2x the speed limit and lap the track every day.

Rocky058, Toast and Nahtabot like this.
  5. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I think the auto makers who divorced themselves from working hand-in-hand with the fossil fuel industry have succeeded. The ones who refused to do that lost market share. That really enraged corporate boardrooms in the US. Close to 50% of the profits auto makers rake in come from supplying parts (US companies doubled down on the planned obsolescence business model). An electric vehicle doesn't need all the parts. From what I can tell, an electric car needs a reliable battery, drive shaft, axle, tires--not much profit to be had there from replacement parts. So the dinosaur car companies threw their energy behind supporting fossil fuels and stymieing consumer demand for EVs. You reap what you sow. They've done a bang-up job of catering to the gas guzzling F-150 crowd though. Nowadays corporate managers are having trouble enjoying their third yacht as they worry about what the future will be like for their Billy and Suzy brood.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Nahtabot likes this.
  6. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

?

7. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

they must be getting something because ive been seeing a ton more of them on the road lately

8. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

That Continental looks (looked) like an Audi. Which, in turn looks like a Lexus... and everything else on the road. In the past, there were always a couple of standout cars that caught my eye... not now. I used to love to go to auto shows to see the new models, but I have zero interest now.

The Tyranny of the Wind Tunnel.

Chiogtr4x, Telecastoff1 and Nahtabot like this.
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

An interesting thread. The Japanese and German auto industries showed the future in the 1970s and the U.S. auto industry did not get the message or were afraid to venture away from their outdated consumer market. A big mistake and half a century too late to respond now. Bailing on market brands like Lincoln, Pontiac, and Oldsmobile should have been made decades ago. And don't forget about China getting into the mix.

10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

A lot of the parts are outsourced to separate companies in the supply chain. Hard to say how that works out but the manufacturers and distribution companies are obviously taking a big cut on the marked up parts when dealers repair the cars.

The reliance on the supply chain is really interesting. In the short to medium term that reliance is a major weakness for the big US auto companies. The little companies in the supply chain don't have the R&D budget to keep up in battery & electric motor development. Tesla does, partly cause they plow so much back into R&D and partly cause their stock market strategy got the market to write them a check for R&D, and that's why they're crushing the traditional auto companies. The big companies would have the budget to keep up on this R&D if they wanted to, but they don't want to eat their short term profits. When EVs mature out at some point maybe outsourcing that stuff will start to make sense again.

The whole controversy with Tesla as a business is everyone was discounting them thinking their business strategy wouldn't work.. but it was a long term bet on plowing billions into R&D on these new components.. and now it's starting to pay off. You can't do a 10 year R&D project if your management can only think about the current quarters bottom line every quarter.

11. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, but I'll bet you're driving a car with a completely-unnecessary electric starter, electronic ignition (or even the whole fuel system) and probably a radio.

12. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

I just about fell on the floor when I read the price for the new Hummer. A plaything for rich folks.

Festofish likes this.
  13. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Holic

Well, that's the problem. How many of those guys know how to handle a rear drive supercar? Most Corvette's sold in the US never get to flex muscle on a real track. What a waste. Gimmie the Continental then.

14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wow, too bad. It looked nice and Ford stuff is pretty good compared with the other US makers. I guess the world has gone to SUV's though. The bottom line is every manufacturer is really only making one of each type really. The Navigator is just what... an Expedition with more bling?
    When Lincoln, Buick, Olds, Pontiac, etc were an actual different car, different engine, etc it mattered. Lincoln was very classy back in the day. Often seemed more so than Caddy to me.
    Some of my favorite cars of all time are the early 60's Lincolns.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  15. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Holic

Toast likes this.
  16. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Holic

Yes. The air ride is fantastic though. I mean really good - like never go back to springs type good. Well, at least until the compressor fails.

17. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, speaking of which, my F250 has air suspension towing package. Nothing but trouble....

Nahtabot likes this.
  18. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Afflicted

Car guys don't make cars anymore.

CPA's and MBA's make all the decisions.

So too with almost any industry of your choice.

Nahtabot likes this.
  19. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

And what’s the future going to bring?

There’s talk that one path may be a generic skateboard platform, with a return of (essentially coach builders) building body/cabin modules that attach to the skateboard. The Hummer is “built” on a skateboard, IIRC.

A Chinese automaker, Nio, has a new business model where you purchase the car and rent the battery. IMHO that’s brilliant - it cuts your entry price way down, and the rent on the battery is like buying fuel. Others might follow this strategy.

And of course we’ll all be watching for breakthroughs in battery and/or charging tech.

20. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

I would love an inexpensive manual 4x4 truck, without all of the bells and whistles.

New trucks are like ridiculous land yachts that cost over half of what I paid for a 4 bedroom house. No thanks.

Nahtabot likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.