1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

U.S Auto manufacturers don't really "get it" do they?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nahtabot, Oct 21, 2020.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

diagonal.

Obsessed likes this.
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

nissan frontier! it is for you!

[​IMG]

KyAnne, Chiogtr4x, Nahtabot and 2 others like this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Ah ha. Look at my first post video of the Hummer EV thread that I started earlier today.:)

4. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

My son and a couple of other guys from our company went to Canada , just north of the border. Stayed for 3 weeks Cant remember the make of hire car , but it was brand new , and a biiiig SUV thing. The workers drooled over it in the parking lot of the plant they were at. It had every thinkable servo motor function on board.
    My son wrote to me " Im amazed they can build and sell something in 2019 , that drives worse , AND uses more fuel than my clapped out 1990 Volvo at home "

Nahtabot, suthol and RomanS like this.
  5. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

The Continental was a good car, as was the Chevy SS (also cancelled). It's almost like a few of these companies think the good cars should sell themselves. Other than maybe the first year out, I don't recall seeing a Continental commercial and I never saw one for the SS.

Telecastoff1 and Nahtabot like this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

"... the Navigator has resoundingly entrenched itself as the brand's true modern flagship" -- article in OP.

When gas is $2/gallon ... buyers want big sheet metal. Happened in the famous 1950s too (fuel adjusted for inflation) -- cars the size of low slung SUVs with just as poor mpg.

When gas gets to the psychological hurdle of $100/tank fill-up (around $4/gallon) then you can't give trucks away and small cars sell for a mint. ALL the car factories from All the famous countries are pushing huge vehicles now because that is what consumers are willingly spending their cash to get locked into seven year auto loans or excessive short term leases. When buyers think their neighbor judges them on the car sitting in their driveway or when attempting to grab the attention of 'the chicks' they want what seems to be in fashion and huge SUVs are fashionable -- as long as the fill-up cost is less than that $100/tank hurdle (which becomes $800/month for the two times per week commuter fill up).

Ask a dozen people what mpg their vehicle gets and half of them have no idea unless they just bought it and remember the window sticker. But ask them how many times a week they fill the tank and what it costs them they will know. When that fill up goes over $100 they will dump all those SUVs and complain the dummy car factories can't build enough small fuel efficient vehicles. Amazingly, all the factories of all the brands all build more of what buyers are purchasing.

And btw, most of the SUVs are built like cars now ... basically 'tall cars' that barely resemble the toughness of utility vehicles.

YYZman likes this.
  7. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

That looks so much like Jaguar.

61fury likes this.
  8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Just make this again. The way it was and I would buy two right now.
    D4C838A8-E40D-455A-9BC5-98162BB0F630.jpeg

9. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I have no idea how we’ve struggled along since the Model T without crabwalk. It’s by no means a new idea. The original MiniS often had this feature. Most owners didn’t even know about it until they’d had the car for a few years. Subframe bushings wore and front and rear wheels tracked differently.

aging_rocker, Obsessed and suthol like this.
  10. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Right now in the UK the roads are in such a poor state. Add to the potholes the dreaded speed humps which either take out your sump or rip your tyres to shreds and you can see why I’ve got a 4 x 4 to go to the shops.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Obsessed, 7171551 and Nahtabot like this.
  11. mrfitz98

mrfitz98 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Cars? US automakers don't make cars anymore, they make trucks and SUVs. Unless you want to lump Chevy in there (I won't, too much history with loose feeling suspensions after 30k miles.) Top that off with the death of the standard transmission because nobody knows how to drive a standard.

It's a sad statement when someone thinks they need a $50k pickup with 4 wheel drive to get to the market. They seem to think a 4 door is required, which means they have a bed so small that they have to get a hitch rack to haul their bicycles.

Grrr!

12. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

Exactly.

13. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

It's really quite simple . They are building what the automotive journalists are telling customers they want . Have a look at a current owner's manual and you will see what I am getting at . All bells and whistles up front . Connectivity , bluetooth .......
    You are correct in believing that I don't participate in this folly , but I sure can observe it .

14. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I always thought they were handsome and unique.

15. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Me too, Jaguar are not doing so well here at the moment, the new boss is up for discontinuing several of the range. They’re perceived as cars bought with ‘old money’.

16. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Occupant protection rules, emissions rules, recycling rules, road traffic rules, pedestrian protection rules, construction and use rules, idiot-proofing rules..................the blank sheet of paper becomes covered in essential stuff and styling options become limited as soon as the designers pick up their pencils. Put all of the legally required stuff into a computer and it designs a car...............which looks like most every other car. Try and redesign a widget and then computer says ‘no’’

Milspec and spurgie79 like this.
  17. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Add to this correct assessment the fact that the automotive journalists are telling their sheep where to go and they willingly follow because they are sheep .

18. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

Umm... I don't think there was ever a "before their scandals..."

spurgie79 and Toast like this.
  19. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Exactly my thoughts. Had SUVs for years, before they got the name tag, starting with a Cherokee. Several times I’ve questioned the need and tried out an estate, (station wagon). On every occasion I’ve felt kind of vulnerable and on the ground. Sitting at the lights eye level with a lorry’s wheel nuts didn’t appeal. Back in my own car I feel safe, especially in foul weather. It’s totally subjective. We’re likely to get less snow in the future and even if we get 6 feet, I’ll be stuck simply because I’ll be behind everyone else who is stuck! Had a hankering for a Mustang convertible a while back. Sat in one, never looked since. People often ask the ‘if you could have any car you wanted............, question. My answer is always ‘I’d not have a car, I’d have a few to satisfy all my needs’.

20. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Baa!

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.