1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

U.S Auto manufacturers don't really "get it" do they?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nahtabot, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

It looks like Lexus was asked to make a Chrysler 300. Not my thing, personally. I'd go German if I had that kind of money to buy a car. The US excels at cheap cars but luxury is a crap shoot.

RomanS and Nahtabot like this.
  2. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

Most Navigators wont even see a gravel road much less dirt or mud.
    I should know. I have one for towing/hauling.

3. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Or like a trailer-park Bentley.

RomanS likes this.
  4. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I loved my 1989 Town Car . Sadly , I totaled it before I was able to install a 4-speed manual transmission and clutch . The result of a behind the wheel micro-sleep courtesy of my sleep apnea . Fortunately , there was considerable distance between me and the car carrier that I drove into . A fairly simple swap with the front engine , rear wheel drive drivetrain . Once the domestic car becomes nonexistent , the auto mags will need new red meat . It won't be any of the domestic manufacturers , so get ready whomever remains . They will need to feed on something .

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Hey,hey, hey, do I hear some Hummer EV bashing here? The Hummer comes with crabwalk capability, whereas the Lincoln Continental might come with crabs. Oh wait, did I just type that?:twisted::lol:

6. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

Lawdawg, beyer160, Deathray and 2 others like this.
  7. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Starting way back in the 70s, American auto manufacturers realized that the American buying public was more interested in flash than function.
    All show--no go has been their mantra ever since.
    And they still didn't get it when Honda and Toyota built cars that started, stopped, and ran well.
    "Geez, how come people are buying those?" they said.
    They are still asking.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  8. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

There sure aren't many actual American auto builders today left. As far as I am concerned, when Lee Iococa managed to steal American Motors (in an actual brilliant stock move) is when the American automotive industry died. The reason being, American Motors hired great engineers who built vehicles with the owner being the mechanic so everything was easily accessed and serviced. Very reliable and solid vehicles, just not always very attractive, althought the AMX3 concept vehicle may have been the sexiest thing on 4 wheels...but the company's death ended that plan.

These days, I don't know what they hell builders are thinking. Overly complex vehicles that fall apart, can't be serviced by the owner, and you are forced to accept all the options that they tell you instead of selecting the items that you want. All rubbish.

9. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

Simply cannot master the concept of a small car that performs well and that is affordable.

10. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The Cruz was and is (both) still one of the best sellers despite it being canceled in the US but inexplicably not canceled in the rest of the world where it is still very popular. The only thing that explains this is it didn't cost enough. All the less expensive cars get canceled but newer much more expensive models get introduced. Hmmm.

I refuse to spend boat loads of money on a car. I am RAPIDLY approaching retirement. I have always bought less expensive vehicles that get good gas mileage. All vehicles no matter the cost if well cared for will get the passengers from point A to B and as Grandad Terry was fond of saying, they will all drive the speed limit too.

Besides, expensive vehicles cut in to my guitar money. Priorities!

Jakedog, SnidelyWhiplash and Rocky058 like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

There are just too many models of all cars, foreign and domestic. They can't possibly sustain that many different entries into the automobile market. There really isn't a whole lot of difference in the best and worst of them. The only one who cares is the guy who bought such and such, and he's just bent out of shape because he saw something he liked better two days after he drove off of the lot. Maybe a couple of weeks after he drove off the lot, because most places will let you take it back for a few days, maybe.

spurgie79 likes this.
  12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I don't blame the marketing department there. Pretty much no one but me wants long roof cars.

That was a struggling German car bought by the French who are merging with the FCA ItalMurican mashup in a market that wants something else. CNBC did a bit and said Wagons were 1.4% of the cars sold in US last year and Outbacks were most of that.

:)

Even at that, you probably need to like cars that sell 100,000+ units or have $50,000+ stickers for them to care.

13. Toto'sDad

We have an American car that we bought new a long time ago. It's been a good car. We have a Japanese car we bought new a long time ago, it's been a good car. I think it's kind of luck of the draw.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  14. Toto'sDad

The real reason luxury cars and for that matter most CARS fail now is because they are not S.U.V.s. After you get used to driving around in something that you set up in like your easy chair, easy in and out of, and can lock all of your stuff up in, a car with a trunk that you set almost on the ground is not very appealing.

jvin248 likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

If we buy any more new automobiles, they'll probably be medium sized S.U.V. models, and I'm in no hurry to buy another vehicle.

16. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

All trucks are $75,000.00 stupid looking luxury cars now. (>_<)... I just want a $20,000 pickup I can actually do stuff with...

17. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Meister

Trucks and SUVs are all we will see on the road.

getbent likes this.
  18. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I fall in that category and have bought American Name Cars. I can’t really say made because both of my Chevrolet Avalanches were made in Mexico and my Pontiac G8 GT was an Australian made car. It was a renamed Holden. That car was a lot of fun, a four door Corvette.

Deathray and getbent like this.
  19. Recce

My Avalanche Z71 4x4 has mud on it right now. I do mainly use it for towing. If you don’t use it why buy the functionality.

getbent likes this.
  20. Recce

You know I have no idea what crab walk capability is. Will it go sideways?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.