Two years later...what a difference

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stxrus, Sep 20, 2019.

1. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

2 years ago this morning we were assessing the damage after Maria paid a visit. Our roof stayed on, we had some extensive damage, were facing a monumental clean up, the exhaustion from the all night storm hadn’t quite set in yet
    Walking the neighborhood, seeing how others had faired, talking to folks that did ok and those that lost virtually everything almost seemed surreal. Poles down, trees down, massive chunks of asphalt picked and moved by torrents of running water. Parts of roofs (and other building pieces/parts) in the road or in some cases in trees.
    The sound of chainsaws, generators, the voices of people talking and helping each other, were as much a symphony as cacophony.

As I drive about the island, I’m visually reminded of those that STILL don’t have roofs. Tarps are still covering so many because they can’t, for whatever reason, get repairs done

Our repairs are done. Life is sort of normal... whatever that means

2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

glad stuff is getting back to normal for ya

3. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You guys got smashed, no doubt. Glad to hear the recovery is going well for you:)

It seems like every year now there is a severe impact somewhere from the gulf coast to the islands. We dodged the bullet with Dorian - someday our luck will run out...

4. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Man I remember when you were going through this ordeal. It was right after Harvey hit Houston, and then you disappeared for like 2 weeks. We were very worried to say the least.

Ya it takes years to recover from a big hurricane..and some of the wounds never heal.

Glad ya'll are doing well... and my heart goes out to those still hurting.

Take care.. be safe.

5. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

There are are so many people here that were still in the "Harvey" recovery mode, and now Imelda has destroyed much of that recovery. Devastating on so many levels for so many people.

6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Thank you for sharing and bringing up that interesting topic of rebuild. My well to do area was hit by floods and crazy weather a year ago and it's interesting to see what's not rebuilt yet.

These incidents leave some places never fixed too. I've been to the Caribbean many times and have seen damage never fixed or some attempts to rebuild never finished. Heck, it's been around 50 years and old timers near our cabin point out things never fixed from a tornado that long ago. You've got my best wishes for carrying on and for everyone still struggling.

7. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

recovery is an interesting concept
    when a major disaster hits (wherever it is or whatever it is) things change forever. in my 26 years on the rock (this time) we've been through two major events that have reshaped the way we think about things both big and small
    in some ways the island (territory) has come closer together and in some ways we've moved farther apart

taking Jackie out for sushi tonight for her birthday. in the time we.ve beem together her birthday has been interrupted 5=6 times due to storms. twice very dramatically

imwjl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.