Two Thinlines...Black Walnut Build...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by fretman_2, Jul 28, 2014.

1. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

I'll be, eventually, building two Thinlines for two men who give generously of their time and money to others. The wood for both guitars is from a black walnut tree that grew in the yard of one of the recipients grandfather. The wood's been drying 20+ years in a barn and it's very ready to be shaped.

Here's the pile-o-wood after bringing it home from Birmingham AL.
    [​IMG]

Both body blanks....One had a nail I didn't see and it made a slight groove in my thickness plainer blade. I knew it was going to happen eventually. I'll be investing in a wand type metal detector.
    [​IMG]

These pieces that will be resawn to provide the book matched tops. Some of it has some spalting.
    [​IMG]

The first of my Thinline templates. I'll likely glue in a piece to give me some more 'meat' in the horn for the strap button.
    [​IMG]

The Thinline template on top of my body template to check positions. I will likely move the f hole a little toward the rear so I can use a regular Tele pickguard.
    [​IMG]

More photos as I go...

2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a sucker for walnut, so I look forward to seeing more

3. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

When I made my thinline chambering template, I made the sides extend out a bit so the router had enough support on the outside edge.

That is some very nice looking walnut. I had a nail go thru my planer recently too. I was taking a very night pass so hopefully it just nicked the blade. I haven't taken the cover off to look at the blade yet. But my blades are due for replacement, anyway.

I have a friend with a sawmill who gets trees from people's yards and stuff. I brought him a log to resaw and there was a nail in it. He showed me a coffee can full of metal objects he'd found in trees he's cut. Nails, hinges, cables, fishing hooks and sinkers, bullets, etc etc. He said pretty much anything that comes out of a front yard has at least two nails in it. :lol:

4. fretman_2

Yea...good idea on extending the sides. I'll likely just put a piece of MDF down next to the template to support the router.

I can just imagine that nail might have supported a swing or tree house of some sort in that black walnut tree...LOL.

5. fretman_2

A few more pics from the on going build. Got the body routed out and chambered. And got the two piece top glued together. Making a little progress...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.