Two Teles—Overkill?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by afterdarkmusic, May 28, 2021.

1. NiMo

NiMo TDPRI Member

If I were in a similar situation with an American made Tele before buying another guitar I would have brought it to a trusted guitar tech for a neck relief, action and intonation adjustment, fret levelling/crowning/polishing (dressing). Cost would be somewhere around $125-$175.

The Tele neck pickup is usually pretty bland. A good quality strat pickup can help. Just a bit of work required to increase the pickup hole size in the pickgaurd to fit it in $50-$100 if you install it yourself.

I purchased a 2009 American Tele (used) about eight years ago for $450 and I did the above-mentioned to it. Plays and sounds much better than when I first purchased it.
    My second Tele is an early EBay kit that someone built. It has a Thin-line F-hole type with a Bigsby style bride and humbuckers. I installed a pair of SD JB's in it and brought to the same tech who did the work on my American made. I enjoy playing this guitar as much as I do the American made and it definitely growls more, though not as much clarity.

I bought it at an indoor flea market for $50

2. swervinbob

swervinbob Friend of Leo's

I kept going back and forth in my home studio what my “sound” would be. Recently, I picked one of my teles, strung with 11s, and realized how much at home I am with that guitar and setup. I have three teles, all set up with 11s, that feel and play the same but sound a little different. I haven’t picked up another electric in weeks now. Just those three guitars.

Fluddman likes this.
  3. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Holic

Me likee Honeycaster! Where can I get one and how much?

My "stock" Tele is also MIM Player in Butterscotch, but it has Seymour Duncan "Hot for Tele" pickups, GraphTech nut and saddles, Fender locking tuners, Bourns pots, treble bleed, and 4-way switch (so much for "stock").

Currently building a "hot rod" Tele, and going along with the theory of 2 of any kind is enough - one stock and one rodded out. Then it's on to Strats ...

4. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

squier cabronita thinline.jpg This is the only Thinline I have ever owned or played, so I cannot compare to one with WRHB. I do own a Tele Deluxe with dual humbuckers, and it sounds amazing.

radiocaster and JL_LI like this.
  5. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

http://lblutherie.blogspot.com/2021/?m=1

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I've wracked my feeble pea brain and I cannot remember the guy's username o_O

He certainly had the Telecaster version of what what an exterminator would call, "a serious infestation."

But I'm pretty sure 5Strats had five Stratocasters. At one point he had six.

53Strat likes this.
  7. TN Tele

TN Tele Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm with Bella, I have 2 teles but one can never truly have two many telecasters. Every guitar speaks differently and has its own voice.

Bella likes this.
  8. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

5bf5o9.jpeg

9. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

My plan was to reduce the Tele collection from ten to just these four;

upload_2021-5-29_18-49-28.jpeg

then a Baja came along;

upload_2021-5-29_18-49-56.jpeg

So now the plan is to reduced from eleven to five.

afterdarkmusic and mimmo like this.
  10. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister

In a word..."hell no"...wait that's two words.

afterdarkmusic likes this.
  11. msfenderarg

msfenderarg Friend of Leo's

Yeah...
    I actually had to think for a bit to remember how many I actually own atm... :oops:

9 I think...? But two of those are actually Esquires so 7/9 deepening on how you're counting... ?

I AM trying to downsize a bit... I swear... :lol::rolleyes:

afterdarkmusic and Toadtele like this.
  12. Mur

Mur Friend of Leo's

Two might be one too many?

13. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hey, he's new for gosh sake, only 23 posts, take it easy. He'll find out in his own time. ;)

14. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

First of all, the pickup isn't an issue. There are the obvious things to try like lowering and raising it, perhaps even using the tone control. And if that doesn't work, you can always swap the pickup.

Sounds to me like you don't really like the neck. You may have tried to fix it, but it seems you still don't like it. I guess you can swap it for another neck if you really like the CAR body.

It's really up to you if you decide to keep it or not.

Have you played a Jazzmaster? I've played several and hated them, uncomfortable standing up. I know I'm in the minority.

afterdarkmusic likes this.
  15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I used to have 6 Teles and now I have one. One is enough for me.
    I have two Strats. I will only have one when I decide which one that I will keep.
    It’s easy to get caught up in having a “collection“ but for many, that’s just an indulgence, not a necessity.

16. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I have 5 Teles right now and several others. But, I was just thinking about searching out a different flavor of Tele that I don't already have.

17. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, why yes it is.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  18. afterdarkmusic

afterdarkmusic TDPRI Member

Well, I got my new Player Series yesterday. Now that I’ve been able to spend a little time with it, I’m excited to share some thoughts. I guess that, while I was expecting to notice differences, I wasn’t expecting to be this blown away. The finishing along the fretboard is a big upgrade to feel and playability, but the biggest thing of note is that both pickups just sound wide open compared to those of the ‘05 60’s Classic. The neck is warm yet bright, and the bridge is open and clangy in a really beautiful way—I honestly never much liked my bridge pickup before, but I almost prefer this one to the neck. They’re both incredibly useable with heaps of clarity, and no shrillness or icepickiness to the bridge whatsoever. I’m a little stunned at it, to be honest. I definitely felt like I was fighting for tone before. I don’t think I’ll have that problem at all on this machine, and I can already tell I’m going to be putting in a lot of hours on it because it’s just fun and rewarding to play.

Which, in terms of this thread, may mean that I’m at a crossroads with the other guitar. I can either spring for a new pickup set and hope it sounds near this good, or I can sell it on. I’m going to give it 90 days and see where I land with it.

Greggorios and Blue Bill like this.
  19. gavquinn

gavquinn TDPRI Member

I never bother with 2 of the same guitar cos one's always slightly better than the other and you want to make the lesser one like the better - then there's no point really.

If one has humbuckers, then it's fine.

KATT and northern_mark like this.
  20. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Not necessarily true. I have 2 telecasters both fairly standard vintage inspired but they are different in tone. One is best suited for country or blues. The pickups are cleaner. The other one has more growl and breaks up easier and is suited well for classic rock. Ones a custom shop the other is an MIM so you'd think, yes one is definitely better than the other and maybe in some ways it is but I enjoy them both equally for what each of them do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.