Two questions about David Allen pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by dswo, May 25, 2016.

1. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

Last Thursday I took delivery of a butterscotch FSR that the previous owner* had upgraded with David Allen pickups. They sound good, but I have two questions.

1. I notice that the neck pickup is tilted down toward the neck. Is this something I should try to fix?

2. How can I identify which David Allen pickups they are?

Pictures below. Thank you for any advice you can offer.

* Not someone I know; I bought the guitar on the phone from Dave's Guitar Shop in LaCrosse, Wisconsin.

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

the pickup rout is too shallow, the pickups leads do not have room to clear thue are hitting the bottom, pushing the rear up,

No way to tell from a photo, you have to remove ;em..

Ron Kirn

3. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic

Yes. If that's the case you may be able to flatten the leads up against the pickup a bit, but go easy, you don't want to break any joints.

4. mcentee2

mcentee2 Tele-Meister

Misaligned pickguard, so the pickup isn't vertically clearing the body rout correctly?

If it is routed for 3 single coils this could happen, if it is a full scale cavity or H route then probably not.

5. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

Thanks for your help, all. I changed the strings and pickguard (which I wanted to change out for a 3-ply anyway) and took some pictures (below).

1. The neck pickup says "FatCat" underneath; is that the old name for "Fat 59s"?

2. There seems to be plenty of room for the pickup underneath. The problem is setting the pickup height. Setting it low (like David Allen's website recommends) results in the pickup floating very loose. This is why, I think, the pickup was tilting toward the neck: when I tighten the screws, the pickup straightens out, but then it's quite close to the strings.

3. If this is the problem, how can I fix it? Do I need longer rubber standoffs? If so, where can I get them?

4. How should I set the height of the neck pickup? David Allen's website gives a recommendation for Strat PUs, but with the neck pickup of a Telecaster, the poles are hidden beneath the silver cover. I'll fine tune by ear, but this is my first Telecaster, so I don't have a good idea yet of how it's supposed to sound. If someone can suggest a starting point, I'd be grateful: just say whether you're measuring height from guard or distance from strings.

IMG_1164[1].JPG
    IMG_1165[1].JPG
    IMG_1167[1].JPG

6. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

I've had that problem with neck pickups before. Besides cosmetics I really don't think it is a problem.

7. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

I think I fixed it.

On the Seymour Duncan forum, I found a suggestion to use foam packing material -- the kind used to ship SD pickups -- as a spacer. I looked around the house and found some plastic foam that seemed like it wouldn't compress or disintegrate quickly (it was originally the shipping stiffener in a laptop sleeve). I cut some little triangles off and inserted them between the rubber sleeves and the pickguard. Once I screwed the pickup onto the pickguard, I could tell right away that it was working: for the first time, I could get the pickups down low to the pickguard, as David Allen's website recommends. And, as a bonus, the pickup is now sitting parallel to the strings. Whether this improves the sound, I don't know. But the guitar sounds better. (New strings probably didn't hurt, though the ones it came with didn't look or feel oxidized.)

After I got everything screwed down and strung up again, I set the pickup height to Fender's recommendation for Texas Specials, on the theory that DA's magnets are supposed to be strong. (They certainly grab my little metal ruler firmly enough.) Sitting low now, I think they do sound richer, and the middle position sounds a lot more interesting than it did when I got the guitar last week. The bridge is now louder than the neck, but I'm going to play it some more before I decide which one to set the other's volume by.

If anyone has suggestions for this particular model of David Allen pickup, FatCat, please share them. Meanwhile, thank you to everyone who offered suggestions.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  8. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Way to go!

9. D.Allen

D.Allen Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Yes the FatCat became the Fat 59. There is no correct height setting for any pickup it will always be different for each guitar. I find most people set the pickups to close to the strings which had a negative effect on both the output and the tone. Keep the guard off and adjust starting low one turn on each side until you get the sweet spot and keep going until you pass it then back down to it again. Even changing string type can cause you to need to readjust the pickups as the magnetic energy will react differently to different strings.

10. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

Thank you, David.

11. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

No surprise, but I'm really warming to these pickups. The description is accurate: "This set has bright clear highs that sizzle and pop with out ice pick and warm but crisp low. Made to be able to twang in Country or go to Rock or Blues Rock as well.
    Big. These pickups give you big, fat, warm single-coil Telecaster sounds. They are clear and still cut, but have a slightly rounder and darker tone. Punchy, thick sounds, but with clarity and chime. This is a very versatile set, but also very well suited for those with jazz, pop, or rhythm and blues tendencies."

12. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

I would chip away a little wood. You only have to chisel a little bit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.