1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Two Overdrives?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gitlvr, Dec 27, 2017.

1. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Hi, I got a TC Electronics MojoMojo OD for Christmas. Really great pedal, IMO, and very happy with it.
    It is the only dirt on my board.
    I'm a bedroom player. I spent 30 years as a gigging guitarist, but now it's just me and my guitar at home.
    Getting back to the question at hand, I have been thinking of adding a second OD in the next 6 months. Specifically the SD-1. Don't really need a second OD, but I am drawn toward that pedal for some reason.
    I play blues, classic rock and modern rock based worship music, so what I probably really need is a proper distortion pedal. But....
    I'm thinking I might achieve the same thing by stacking the MojoMojo and the SD-1, and that might also give me versatility in OD flavors as well.
    What say ye? Anyone doing this?

2. Arafel

Arafel Tele-Meister

I have three pedals for overdrive on my board: a King of Tone, a modded TS-9, and and Astrotone. I often stack the KOT yellow into either the TS-9 or Astrotone. Works great.

Trey Anastasio of Phish uses stacked TS-9s, or at least he used to. You can learn more about his setup here: https://treysguitarrig.com/

gitlvr likes this.
  3. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I'm not stacking those two particular pedals but I do combine drives/distortions to get sounds. For me, it's historically been a combination of TS808, Klon KTR, and "something fuzzy" (right now, JHS Muffuletta). Lot's of pedal pushers out there recommend it. Increasingly, I'm seeing more 2-in-1 pedals on the market from Wampler, Keeley, JHS, and even Boss.

gitlvr likes this.
  4. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Arafel, love me some Phish!
    MrGibbly. Mick and Dan rock!

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

At bedroom vol you'd be better off with amp in a box type pedal after the Mojo. When you can't roll amp up to proper vol they always sound better to me than standard od. Like these 2, both he throws up on his flash sales for $56. Jubilee, roll it down to AC/DC Malcolm crunch then slam it's front with mojo.

gitlvr likes this.
  6. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks, but turning up is not a problem in my home/neighborhood. :D
    My neighbors like it!

7. luckett

luckett Banned

Get the SD1 and a DS1 also. They are cheap and then you'll have one of each flavor (mid hump, flat, mid scoop) to mix and match with.

gitlvr likes this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Stacking can be fantastic. I use two DS-1s at zero and low gain and with the six knobs there is a lot of magic. At paying $15 for one and $25 for the other it's a pretty easy boutique $40 pedal.

Boss pedals stack best with each other, some other pedal brands don't stack as well; not sure about the MojoMojo but guess it will.

Joyo American Sound pedal is another good option to check out. It would be the pedal you stack into, so last in the chain.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    gitlvr likes this.
  9. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

I sometimes use a ts9 with a ts808 together, sounds good.

10. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

I have both of those pedals. I run the sd-1 into the mojomojo. Sounds good to me. You get a neutral-ish od with mojo and your mids with the sd1. To me the mojo itself approaches distortion.

IMO and what-not.

Ancient astronaut theorist's say yes.

gitlvr likes this.
  11. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks.
    Yes, it does.

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  12. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you like Phish and Trey's tone then I think you will be happy with an SD-1 or an Ibanez Tube screamer.

13. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, they are tons of fun. I love that red Tele...
    At "bedroom" volume, I find that the pedal answer to the problem depends on the amp. Running something like my SFVR or the Boogie on the clean channel in high power mode, I need what you describe because a boost just makes everything louder, due to the headroom...amp in a box. However, using my Class 5 I don't need any amp in a box...just the slightest nudge from a boost takes it to saturation. A second boost just sends it further into molten, liquid, overdriven, harmonic creaminess.

What kind of amp is the OP using? Might help with recommendations.

14. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Trey has a fat, massive tone. I like his tone and the creativity and free-ness of Phish's live shows. But I have my own tone, and don't chase anyone else's.
    But looking at what others use, what tones they get, etc., is a good way to help you find your own way.
    I owned a TS-9 twenty or so years ago, and sold it when I moved in the direction of two channel tube amps and amp OD.
    Now I'm not gigging I'm playing a Bandit, and exploring pedals again.
    Fun, fun.

15. Norwegian Would

Norwegian Would TDPRI Member

Wouldn't the MojoMojo stack well with the Dark Matter?

16. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Yes, they were designed for that. But I'm jonesin' for the SD-1. :D

17. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

OK, well then you really shouldn't use the "bedroom player" qualifier, that indicates low don't wake the baby or p' off the wife vol. I'm a 58yo "home player" myself but I'm usually not doing the ultra low vol thing either except for late, late at night like now at 3am when I get home from work.

Jubilee is still a kick a** pedal regardless.

gitlvr likes this.
  18. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I have two on my board, a sould food and a mooer hustle drive, once tweaked to the right settings that work for me they're a no brainer.

i use them combined and each one on his own, i like the sounds i'm getting trough them.

Cheers

gitlvr likes this.
  19. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I think you're on to something with the SD-1. Mine has a couple of simple mods to shore up the low mids but I have no real problem with the stock pedal. It's a classic. I usually pair it with a fuzz or distortion pedal.

20. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

I run a Boss BD2 and a Soul Food together. The BD2 has more bottom and top end, and the Soul Food is more of a mid punch. Great sound running them together.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.