Two notes ReVolt - Analog Amp Sim

Thin white duke

Friend of Leo's
This baby looks sweet......:twisted::twisted:

clayville

Tele-Meister
But... what does it sound like? Realize it isn't available yet, but that's pretty key.

There are more and more "three flavor" preamp pedals on the market every month (Simplifier DLX, Iridium, etc) and "one flavor at a time" pedals (UAD's new pedals, the Victory V4 pedals, Blackbirds, Beekeepers, etc) - whether tube-driven, all-analog, digital or some combination - all designed to be great direct recording or amp replacement gizmos. It's a somewhat crowded and confusing category, with features that appeal to different players and different needs, some tied to apps and software, some not.....

I sound like I'm just musing here, but my beloved and ancient tube preamp Damage Control Womanizer pedal is on its last legs and I've been using it for practice and home recording for 15+ years so I've been investigating many of these as possible replacements. There are a lot of choices in the $300-$500 range. We live in interesting times!

ahiddentableau

Tele-Holic
But... what does it sound like? Realize it isn't available yet, but that's pretty key.

There are more and more "three flavor" preamp pedals on the market every month (Simplifier DLX, Iridium, etc) and "one flavor at a time" pedals (UAD's new pedals, the Victory V4 pedals, Blackbirds, Beekeepers, etc) - whether tube-driven, all-analog, digital or some combination - all designed to be great direct recording or amp replacement gizmos. It's a somewhat crowded and confusing category, with features that appeal to different players and different needs, some tied to apps and software, some not.....

I sound like I'm just musing here, but my beloved and ancient tube preamp Damage Control Womanizer pedal is on its last legs and I've been using it for practice and home recording for 15+ years so I've been investigating many of these as possible replacements. There are a lot of choices in the $300-$500 range. We live in interesting times!

Yeah, it's an interesting and unsettled time in the modeller market. Nobody knows what the majority of people want so you've got every base covered. I think of it as a continuum with the single model pedals like the new UAD stuff on one end and the kitchen sink units like Fractal's Axe FX III on the other. I kind of hope that there is no majority opinion out there and we get this sort of diversity of offerings forever, but that probably won't happen. These things tend to consolidate eventually.

archtop_fjk

Tele-Holic
Interesting pedal in that the supply voltage is 12V. Must have a circuit to boost the voltage for the tube while running the analog at 12V. Probably sounds good!

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
My flavor of the month for amp in a box is the Flamma Preamp for digital or the Vox Silk drive for an all analog solution. For what it costs... the Flamma is very hard to beat, some of the best modeled clean and semi clean tones that I have access to. For an all analog solution the Vox Valve Energy series is shockingly good for under $200 (as an amp in a box, not so much when used only as a gain pedal)

lefty73

Tele-Afflicted
High marks for the NUX Amp Academy, here.

We're in a golden age of guitar technology.

lefty73

Tele-Afflicted
I've got the Nux Mini Studio but the Academy looks a great pedal.....
I was headed down the route of the Strymon Iridium to pair with my HX Effects, and on Reverb.com I happened on an open-box Amp Academy that was used by someone for a YouTube demo. I took a chance on it for $180 USD shipped and have been super impressed with it in the two months or so I've had it. The amp models sound great, and it's built like a tank.

I use it in four cable method and with its Scene function it does everything I want (Amp A Scene 1 clean-ish, Amp A Scene 2 pushed with built-in OD pedal (choose from six (?) types), Amp B Scene 1 rockin', Amp B Scene 2 pushed with a built-in Ross compressor model). I was able to free up some blocks on my HX Effects since I no longer use dirt pedals, reverb, EQ, or IR from the HX Effects; the Amp Academy's built-in 6-band EQ and reverb (choose from six (?) types) are super awesome, and the stock IRs from ChopTones are really quite good to my ear, too.