Two Notes Cab M+ or Captor X?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by WilburBufferson, Dec 27, 2020.

1. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

Almost ready to pull the trigger on one of these. I need to record guitars at home at low/no volume. I don't want to use PC-based plugins because (based on previous experience) I get paralyzed by deep diving menus etc. I want to find a handful of good sounds and "set it and forget it" without tweaking endlessly. I own two amps: a Blues Jr. IV and a Vox AC10C1 but I use a pedalboard to get my sounds, including overdrive. I like that the Captor X has two outs so that I can record wet/dry and let our engineer sort it out later. I guess the question is whether the Cab M+ with the added clean preamp is good enough or whether I should run my signal chain through my amp?

Is this enough information to offer a recommendation? Anyone else been down this road?

2. WilburBufferson

Bumpage on the Two Notes :)

3. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Did you buy it?

I'm on the verge of selling my speaker cab and getting the Captor X for live use and home/studio recording to pass songs to my bandmates..

and for headphone playing at home..

WilburBufferson likes this.
  4. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I got a Captor X for use with my Mesa Boogie head. It has way too many settings possible if you hook up the app and I try to turn off the reverb or "space" on all the settings as I have plenty of that elsewhere. I've only recorded a few bits with it but it works well. I just don't like auditioning a million things because honestly I could use any of them. The other thing that's interesting about the box is that it has a "voicing" knob which goes from boost to cut in the midrange (I think) that sort of doubles what the Boogie's EQ preset knob does. I decided to turn the Boogie's graphic EQ off most of the time.

5. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

The captor X is an “all in one box” solution.
    The cab m cannot take an amp load

6. WilburBufferson

I bought the CAB M and so far so good. I did not get the Captor X because none were available for sale here, locally, plus the X limits you a fixed Ohm rating. I thought why not split up the load box with the cab simulation for added flexibility down the road? Having said that, having stereo outs would have been nice (i.e., to route a dry signal), and the "down the road" will likely never come for me. Like Digital Larry, auditioning endless possibilities isn't my thing, so it might have been better to plug my Blues Jr IV into a Captor, build one (known) core sound, and build from there. That is to say, get a Captor X. I guess it depends on how much you like, and want to retain the character of your amp sound.

7. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Thanks guys! I think I'm leaning towards this versus the Suhr RL + IR.. more so because the Suhr is more expensive and I can only add so much dollars on top of my speaker cab selling price. But I want the Suhr more though.. hehehe..

But yeah, My main use would be headphones for silent practicing at night, and feeding the FOH with my amp sound.. another bonus is I know I will sound the same way I sound at home through the PA.. I think thats one of the biggest wins on my part.. just the consistency..

We have different sound guys, so I sound different every week.. one week I sound good, then the other, not so much.. even if I do set the mic to where I want it, I just sound different every week! LOL

Anyway, looking forward to getting my own and report back!

8. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I may be misunderstanding your post and if so, please gently explain it to me but if you mean you can't hook upthe amp's speaker out to the Cab M+ input that seems to be in error to me. See the diagram below from the Cab M+ manual in the two notes website.

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 9.23.28 PM.jpg

9. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

@gkterry
    Yep, in that pic the load box is taking care of the amp needing to see a cabinet. Personally, I put the captor load box between the amp an cabm.

10. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

@Shango66
    I see what you mean. I just took that for granite. I knew a load was necessary. I have the Suhr RL I will use when I don't use a speaker. I thought you might mean that the Cab M couldn't be connected to an amp speaker out.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.