1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Two More Pawn Shop Find

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by noah330, May 26, 2017.

1. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Every Friday I take a ride around some pawn shops. A few weeks ago I had posted about a really cool Japanese made Ibanez I found for $31.00. My best find of 2017 has been a 1955 Les Paul Special that was refinished with the California Girl case for $350!

Today I picked up two Telecasters.

The first one looked to be a nice quality parts build. The fretwork is really nice (someone must have spent some time on it) and it looked to have Mighty Mite pickups and Ping tuners.

It was priced at $49.99, but I got it for $39.99 out the door.

When I got it home I disassembled it. The neck is very nice. Chunky with a slight V profile. It has a maple cap on it and I was wondering if anyone here knows if that's indicative of Mighty Mite, All Parts or any particular maker. There is a 4 penciled on it, but no real other markings.

The body is probably alder judging by the grain and weight. It's a three piece body with a nice finish on it. No markings aside from a T in the bridge cavity. It looks like there could have been a marking in the pocket at one time. The routing is vintage style (no swimming pool).

Aside from the tuners the hardware isn't that great. Some cheap 3 saddle bridge and mini pots. The switch, however, seems to be very nice and smooth.

One of the bushings for the tuners is missing, but I have another full set that will fit these. They're a different size so I'll change them all to keep it looking right.

I pulled the neck pickup and, as expected, it's a Mighty Mite Strat pickup. If anyone knows how these are please let me know.

I expected the bridge to be the same, but the copper baseplate says Seymour Duncan made in USA. I googled the numbers on the label and it's a Vintage Broadcaster USA made Duncan!

The guitar only had four strings on it, as seen in the photos, but it seems to be really nice. Does anyone know if Ping tuners are decent? I have a set of reissue Klusons sitting around that I could use on this.

It also came with a cool 1980s Fender logo strap and a set of Jim Dunlop Strap locks.

Here are some photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second Telecaster is a Squire Classic Vibe Telecaster in Sunburst. That one was $150, but it also came with a nice hardshell case.

Since I only had $100 cash on me I put $15 on that one and will pick it up in a couple weeks. I'll post pictures then.

2. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

That's crazy cheap. Our pawn shops want 120 bucks for old Jay Turser's and Yamaha Pacificas.

3. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Nice, nice finds Noah! I love pawn shopping myself and posted many times of various finds. Keep up the good work!

noah330 likes this.
  4. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

The places I go usually have a lot of junk, but sometimes you score big time!

My best score was that '55 Special, but the Ibanez I got is very nice and I picked up an Italian made Eko hollowbody with a pickup and cutaway for about $80 (and it's dead mint) recently as well.

I have a Lollar P-90 that I have had in a drawer for a while so either that or a Lace Dually is going into the neck of this.

5. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Color me jealous, especially on the 55 special.

6. fortj3

fortj3 Tele-Meister

That's how it is in my area. They want more for used Pacificas than new ones sell for.

Generic Schmoe, jvin248 and emisilly like this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Wow, that is crazy cheap. Congrats. Nothing like that at those prices up here that I have seen.

8. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Wow!
    Some people get all the luck.
    Congrats!

9. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Lucky you! Congratulations! Very nice finds!

10. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

The first one can be turned into a nice looking tele.

Id put on some vintage style tuners and a vibtage style bridge.
    Put me a neck pick up cover on it.
    If its really a duncan broadcaster then the bridge pick up is good.

And id mist likely do a dang refinish on it because
    1. I like projects
    2. Good practice
    3. Just to change the color because BSB doesnt always work as much on alder. It just depends on the shade.

You seriously got a nice score and as sonebody who doesnt have an electric or tele I would definitely have picked it up

noah330 likes this.
  11. danpan

danpan Tele-Meister

Congratulations!! Looks as though your perseverance is definitely paying off!!!

12. mojocasterman

mojocasterman Friend of Leo's

Fantastic deal, good for you! The bridge pickup alone is worth more than what you paid.

noah330 likes this.
  13. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Wow. Nice find. No pawn shops here I'm afraid, just Kijiji full to the brim with overpriced Squire Strats.

noah330 likes this.
  14. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I did a quick refinish this weekend. Came out pretty good, but I have a little bit more work to do.I ordered a vintage bridge an a w/b/w pickguard for it.

Just for fun I tried copying the vibe of a Tele I saw online. Here is where I am so far. I used lacquer in a spray gun for all the coats (I'm not a pro).

I'm going for this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is mine:

First few coats were primer then white lacquer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I mixed some Belhan's I tinted and sprayed it over the low end bridge and control plate and a spare pickguard to get some tan lines:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drying:

[​IMG]

Checked it and added some light relicing:

[​IMG]

Where I am now:

[​IMG]

Marln864 and darkwaters like this.
  15. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Well, I finally got around to finishing this one up. It sounds great. I really dig the Vintage Broadcaster in the bridge. I still have to age the bridge a little and I'm half considering a set of reissue F tuners, but the Pings seem to be fine.

I had drilled the bridge to make it a top loader but ended up drilling the string through holes instead.

All in all it looks cool and plays great. I don't think it will fool anyone, but it was a fun project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  16. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

Ping are good tuners. In fact, I'm pretty sure the american strats and tele tuners are made by ping[​IMG]

noah330 likes this.
  17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Are you sure you're not using a time-travel machine? We used to find deals like that in pawn shops around here.......20-25 years ago!!!!!!
    Now the pawn shops think everything is a Custom Shop instrument and is worth a fortune.....

ndeli55 likes this.
  18. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

How did you force the checking?

19. Texas_tele2015

Texas_tele2015 Tele-Meister

Awesome finds. I hit pawnshops all around and rarely find any real deals like that but they are out there. Sometimes they don't know what they have. While back I found a Traveling Wilburys guitar from the 80s in a shop. After debating I decided to pass. Wishing I'd have grabbed it for a conversation piece . At the time I never imagined we'd be losing Tom so very soon. Sad to lose such talent and from all accounts an amazing and wonderful man so suddenly.

fortj3 and noah330 like this.
  20. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I basically use real lacquer and not the rattle can stuff. I have a big freezer in my basement as well as a sauna room. Works wonders.

Steve Holt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.