1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

two mim telecasters i bought today

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by brock532, Jul 10, 2012.

1. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, there are other forums?

Huh... see, here at the TDPRI, you learn something new every day. Other forums... who knew?

So, I assume you've had a chance to play them both. Are you liking one better than the other? Or both equally? Any thoughts?

2. brock532

brock532 TDPRI Member

Learning, i am a newbie. So i have no idea yet.

3. Ryan0594

Ryan0594 Tele-Holic

Awesome deal - I paid more for just one! I'd say the first one has been modified, by the way - new pickguard, pups and maybe a new bridge. The second may just have a new pickguard... hard to tell really!

My advice is, customize them both to be the polar opposite to each other! :D

4. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Great deal for two nice guitars!

5. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I have a black MIM from 04. It's got a pretty chunky C neck, which I really like. They each have nice features, and whichever speaks to you will be a good friend for a long time.

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Exactly and of course this way your wife can't really say that you have two of the same guitar. I simply point out to my kids that I have a 50's style a 60's style, a 90's style I'm converting to a Nashville and a treasured custom made version of the original Telecaster.

Different pickups, tonality, necks, looks, setups, etc. With so many variations on a theme to be had no guitarist could be expected to have just one Tele. Not even a newbie.

Brock, name whichever one of them you like the least (just don't tell her that) after her and she'll insist you keep that one then name the other after your daughter (if you have one) or her mother and your home free with both.

Women just can't resist such sentimentality. ;)

7. coreytree

coreytree Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

As you're a new guitar player, it seems like it would be really neat to develop an understanding of what you like now feel-wise by playing both for a while. I agree with all of the other guitar hoarders here that you would benefit by hanging on to both at least for a while until you know what you like. As for the wife, learn a simple love song and play it for her. She'll love that. Better yet, play it on both guitars!

8. brock532

brock532 TDPRI Member

Haha thats the best idea so far haha

9. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Just tell her you got the blue one to go with her blue dress, and the natural one to go with her... birthday suit.

10. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Brock, here's a shot of my 2000 MIM Std. Tele 'bridge pickup' with no mods-except the pickguard above it.

Notice the magnets/poles on the pickup. Your 2004 black Tele bridge pup looks different. The 2004 Std. has the same basic model specs, and pickups as the 2000 Std. model. IMO, if yours is a MIM Std., your bridge pickup may have been modded.

Anyone, else see the difference?

Attached Files:

11. brock532

brock532 TDPRI Member

Yeah the bridge pickup says seymour duncan.

ForumRunner_20120713_221236.jpg

12. brock532

brock532 TDPRI Member

So of.course since i am a newbie i have now idea what this means. Why was this pickup put in this guitar?

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

"Why was this pickup put in this guitar?"

That is the question of the ages!

The pickup in the pic looks like a Lil' 59, no doubt put in there to make more of a humbucker sound, since that is essentially what it is. Probably for more of a Rock sound/tone. If the other Tele has a more traditional pickup in it, you have the opportunity to see, or hear whether you want more twang, or more rock, or both.

It's all good brother, just play the thing, or things as the case may be, and enjoy what comes out of 'em. You really have a good opportunity to have two pretty similar guitars that offer up two different approaches to music. I'd keep 'em both.

14. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

In 2010 they started putting the made in mexico on the back. I wonder why the 2003 custom has it on the back?? I havent been upclose to an older custom however. I have never seen a mim in the color of the first tele either. Natural ash yes... but that color no.... has to be the age of the mim... hopefully not a squier body.

15. brock532

brock532 TDPRI Member

So the amber colored one maybe a different body than a mim telecaster?

16. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Nice!

Please, keep them together. They would fret and pine if seperated.

That would be sad !

17. brock532

brock532 TDPRI Member

What does the jack look like on the 94 mim teles? The jack on the one i bought is not recessed like the black 2004.

18. brock532

brock532 TDPRI Member

ForumRunner_20120714_084121.jpg

19. brock532

brock532 TDPRI Member

Volume and tone controls are domed on the amber colored one and flat on the black one.

20. brock532

brock532 TDPRI Member

The person i bought these two from just contacted me and said she found two more for sale. Think both mim. She sent these pics.

ForumRunner_20120714_094152.jpg

ForumRunner_20120714_094234.jpg

ForumRunner_20120714_094302.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.