1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

two mim telecasters i bought today

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by brock532, Jul 10, 2012.

1. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

+1 on the keep 'em both suggestion. One will 'speak' to you more than the other but until you all get to know each other, you might as well 'date' both. Almost everyone here has a guitar for a wife and several others as mistresses. They're a lot cheaper in the long run too.

2. brock532

brock532 TDPRI Member

Love rhis analogy haha, problem is rhe real wifey is wanting one gone.haha

3. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Which is why some of around here go by the motto more Tele's less wives, LOL.

Brock, I understand her concerns but maybe if you were to explain to her that you bought two very nice guitars at an extremely good price (considering some of those upgrades) and there is no way you'd ever be able to replace either for anywhere near what you paid for those you may yet prevail.

Note: This is best done after the roses arrive and following a glass or two of wine over dinner at her favorite restaurant. There is not a woman alive who cannot be bribed into accepting such a reasonable request. One must only apply the right leverage.

5. SolidSnakeBoss

SolidSnakeBoss Tele-Meister

Wow, that was a great deal, and they're good looking too.

6. brock532

brock532 TDPRI Member

Thanks again for all the help guys!

7. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

You did very, very well. Those guitars go for $250-$350 each on Ebay.

There appears to be a shim in the neck pocket of the '94 (the blonde). That's not a problem, it just means someone adjusted the neck angle a bit to get action more to their liking. It's pretty common.

The aftermarket pickups are considered upgrades by many.

The big difference here is that the '94 is a top loader, while the '04 is a string through; also, the '94 has an aftermarket 3-saddle bridge with what appear to be compensated brass saddles, while the '04 has the original 6 steel saddles; and the '04 has a humbucking pickup in the bridge position, while the '94 has some hot single coil pickups. These are all factors that will influence how the guitars feel and sound; only you can decide which you like better.

Personally, I love top loaders (I'm in the minority here) and the grain structure on that '94 is as straight and tight as any I've seen. Just a beautiful guitar. I know which one I'd be keeping! But these are personal preferences. Both guitars should be great instruments to learn on, and either one will serve you well.

8. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Looks like a great deal to me. As far as pups go, you may end up gravitating toward one of them more than the other. I find myself playing one of my two versus another depending on my mood. It's nice to have choices

9. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

The '94 will have vintage sized frets. As a newish player (going on 3 years now0 I found that I preferred the smaller frets as I tended to squeeze the notes less sharp when chording. I also like to feel the fingerboard under my fingers, some people don't and prefer larger frets.

Don't be in a hurry to get rid of one of those guitars, you never know where your preference will settle. It took me a solid year and a half to figure out that I much preferred my '94 (also a toploader). I had put it up on Craig's List a couple times, so glad nobody wanted it.

I'd gladly give you $200 plus shipping for the '94, BTW, if you need to move it. :D

10. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Afflicted

Keep 'em both! You got a great deal, don't piss on it. Congrats !

11. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

Well, both guitars are good deals. If you relent and do sell one off (don't understand that.....I have 15 guitars and the wife doesn't complain), you can craigslist it off for more than 1/2 your paid price. The question is.....which one would you keep? I'd put the unwanted one up for $275 and accept no less than $250 for it.

12. lfender523

lfender523 TDPRI Member

Does the MN4 tele with the clear finish have a top loading bridge or is it string through the body? Great deal, btw.

13. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

Excellent deal indeed! In my very subjective personal opinion, the butterscotch one begs for a black pickguard.

14. brock532

brock532 TDPRI Member

Top loading, from what others have said. Remember im a newbie haha

15. brock532

brock532 TDPRI Member

Cld this be done easily?

16. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Afflicted

The hardest part is counting the screw holes, really.

17. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Apparently, the toploaders ended with MN7, or early MN8 (1998) serial numbers.

18. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Excellent score! They both look great! Try to keep em both!

19. johnthatcher

johnthatcher Tele-Meister

rio grande!!! that pickup alone is worth half that guitar! those pickups are amazing! good score

20. brock532

brock532 TDPRI Member

Thanks again for all your info and help guys. Ive been members of many forums and this already the best one i have ever joined.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.