1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Two great Dallas bands

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Alex M, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Alex M

Alex M Tele-Meister

Hello everybody!

I just want to share my love for two great Dallas artists, both in my top 5 and still alive recording and touring.

First, and no surprise, the Old 97's. These guys are my favorite band by a mile, playing hard-charging rock & roll with country roots (pretty far down there these days, but they still are writing songs like "Let The Whiskey Take The Reigns"). I never miss a local show, and I saw them for a five-night stand back in January. It takes a *great* band to play five full nights of original misic without repeating a song and still keeping the audience spellbound.

I got my hands on an advance copy of The Grand Theatre Volume One, due out October 12, and I just finished my first listen through. If it's not their best album, which it very well might be, it's at least tied for best with 1997's Too Far To Care which is by a large margin the current favorite of both critics and fans, and from which the Olds played three songs in the concert scene of the film "the Break-Up". The Grand Theatre has *lots* of 60's flavor: 60's rock & roll, 60's pop, 60's country, a little psychedelia (I'm looking at the Animals here), and a whole lot of *awesome*! It reminds me why we love music in the first place, especially recorded rock & roll where every sound contributes to the record as a whole and not just to the one song.

So check out the Old 97's tour dates! The tour's a little delayed while the band waits for Ken (the guitarist) to finish coaching his son's little-league football season, but they're hitting the road seriously in 2011, as well as releasing the Grand Theatre Volume 2, and it is going to rock!

(Doug Burr next)

2. Alex M

Alex M Tele-Meister

The second Dallas act that I love so much is Doug Burr. He's a singer-songwriter who defies the cliches of the genre. His records, most especially On Promenade but to a more uptempo degree this year's O Ye Devestator, are art, aural landscapes filled with atmosphere and exquisite detail supporting lyrics that have real meaning, that are not the solipsistic self-pitying drivel that most singer-songwriters think passes for heartfelt emotions. These records have the best production I've heard from any current act.

His songs "Graniteville, "Should Have Known, "Chief of Police In Chicago, and "O Ye Devestator/I Got This Fever" have not left my head since the first time I heard them, and I love them more each time I play the record.

Doug is embarking on his first regional tour next week beginning with a show in Denton. He'll probably have his sideman Glen Farris there to play Tele, banjo, and keys, and hopefully he'll have some others as well. I'm going out to support him because he's one of the best musicians working today, he's not trying to sell you on anything and is just making great songs, and he still hasn't been able to quit his dayjob. This is his first extended tour and I'm just hoping that it's successful and that he can continue to create, because otherwise we'd be losing a rare talent.

I know these posts probably seem overwrought, and I know that it's easy to disregard things you read on the internet, posted by someone you don't know and will probably never meet, even in a place as nice as the TDPRI we can treat each other more as strangers than as friends, but I'm just trying to share my love here. These guys--Rhett, Murry, Ken, Philip, & Doug--are what it's all about. Music *means* something to us, it has the power to touch hearts and change lives, and even if you check these guys out and their songs don't affect you the way they affect me, that's cool, we've all got different tastes after all--but it's still damn good music and hopefully you can find a song or two to like or maybe even hum on your way home from work.

Thanks for listening, and I hope yall have a great day!
    -Alex

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.