Two FCS Teles

losrogers

Tele-Meister
NGD here. In the past, I wasn't attracted to relic guitars. Then I played a few. What I felt and heard allowed me to appreciate the distress and 'damage'. They sound SO good, feel amazing and can't help but wonder about Masterbuilt.
In two short years I've sold alot of gear and traded up to 3 FCS guitars (1 Strat and 2 Teles).

Here's the concoction:
Cunife_05.jpg

Limited Edition Cunife Tele Custom Relic,
Faded Aged Chocolate 3-Color Sunburst
2-piece alder
Quartersawn maple
60s oval C
9.5" radius
6105 frets
AAA rosewood
Micarta white dot
Texas Special bridge
Wide Range Cunife neck
Brass RSD saddles
3-ply mint green PG
Top Hat switch tip
7lbs 6oz

...and NGD Blackguard sounds heavenly!
Nocaster_03.jpg

LTD '51 Telecaster, Heavy Relic, Nocaster Blonde
2-piece ash
10/56 "V"
7.25-9.5" compound radius
Flame AA Quartersawn
6105 frets
50-51 Blackguard pickups
7lbs 1oz

A few early impressions:
The neck and fretwork feel perfect, and the 10/56 V is a shape I took a chance based on reading this forum. So far, it feels natural and could see favoring this profile.
Unplugged is resonant and lively. Plugged in is bright, snappy, and every note is clear and balanced.
The tone knob taper. Such nice subtle shading; maybe it's the pickups? Using the tone more than the volume for a change.

Last edited:

CV Jee Beez

Tele-Afflicted
Congrats! They're both gorgeous.

I'm on my 2nd FCS. The first was a '51 Nocaster. My current one is the Caballo.

I like their phrase, "when you're ready."

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
You have both of the best necks ever!

If that 56 V is just as good as my avri 57 strat v neck, i can relate to how you feel with it! Its soo good.

And then you have the double bound tele which is a classic look! Congrats!

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Can we see the strat!?

You have both of the best necks ever!

If that 56 V is just as good as my avri 57 strat v neck, i can relate to how you feel with it! Its soo good.

And then you have the double bound tele which is a classic look! Congrats!
From my understanding the 10/56 V feels similar to what the soft V on the 50’s Baja was, just kind of noticeable as a V shape

So if you’ve ever played one of those it’s supposed to be close, I think…

wineocaster

TDPRI Member
That’s a nice pair, I’m partial to the blackguard look. You mention using the tone knob. Do you know if it has the Fat 50s wiring?

I never understood the relic thing either until I played one. And then…

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
NGD here. In the past, I wasn't attracted to relic guitars. Then I played a few. What I felt and heard allowed me to appreciate the distress and 'damage'. They sound SO good, feel amazing and can't help but wonder about Masterbuilt.
In two short years I've sold alot of gear and traded up to 3 FCS guitars (1 Strat and 2 Teles).

Here's the concoction:
View attachment 990493
2-piece alder
Quartersawn maple
60s oval C
9.5" radius
6105 frets
AAA rosewood
Micarta white dot
Texas Special bridge
Wide Range Cunife neck
Brass RSD saddles
3-ply mint green PG
Top Hat switch tip
7lbs 6oz

...and NGD Blackguard sounds heavenly!
View attachment 990497
LTD '51 Telecaster, Heavy Relic, Nocaster Blonde
2-piece ash
10/56 "V"
7.25-9.5" compound radius
Flame AA Quartersawn
6105 frets
50-51 Blackguard pickups
7lbs 1oz

A few early impressions:
The neck and fretwork feel perfect, and the 10/56 V is a shape I took a chance based on reading this forum. So far, it feels natural and could see favoring this profile.
Unplugged is resonant and lively. Plugged in is bright, snappy, and every note is clear and balanced.
The tone knob taper. Such nice subtle shading; maybe it's the pickups? Using the tone more than the volume for a change.

Congrats. Those are nice!

I just got my 6th Custom Shop myself less than a week ago with the WRHB CuNiFe in the neck, but kinda feel let down by the pickup. They put 500k pots to the WHRB and after some advice from fellow forum members, they really need a 1 Meg pot to realize full potential, so I'll be switching them out.

Coincidentally, the sunburst Tele you've got here is the exact same one I've been looking at for my next Custom Shop (but not with 6105 fretwire since they're too tall for my style).

Does your Sunburst have a 1 Meg pot for the WRHB? Or, does it have a stacked 500k/250k pot (I've seen this same model with the stacked pots, so just curious).

Last edited:

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
Can we see the strat!?

From my understanding the 10/56 V feels similar to what the soft V on the 50’s Baja was, just kind of noticeable as a V shape

So if you’ve ever played one of those it’s supposed to be close, I think…

Yes I’ve played the Baja and owned it for 10 years. However, all those times, although I love the thickness, I didnt quite bond to it as much I thought Id be. But its a great guitar which is why I stuck with for so long.

Not to derail the thread, of course id love to show it off!

Here’s my 2011 AVRI 57 Strat with a V shape as per specs

Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

wineocaster

TDPRI Member
Yes, Fat 50s wiring.
Alternate assembly included inside case.
My Nocaster has this wiring. I believe the tone cap is connected between the volume and the wiper on the tone pot. The two controls are quite interactive. I may change it out to a blend circuit but I’ll give it a fair try before I do.

How are you finding it?

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
That "10/56 V" neck profile is a very BROAD description from the FCS. My buddy has a '56 CC Strat with the 10/56 V and his neck is COMPLETELY different than my '51 Limited Ed HS Tele which also has the 10/56 V. Mine is way WAY chunkier and feels more like a C or even a U with a bit less shoulder.

VillainSean

Tele-Holic

Here's the concoction:
View attachment 990493
2-piece alder
Quartersawn maple
60s oval C
9.5" radius
6105 frets
AAA rosewood
Micarta white dot
Texas Special bridge
Wide Range Cunife neck
Brass RSD saddles
3-ply mint green PG
Top Hat switch tip
7lbs 6oz

I have to ask what you think of the CuNiFe pickup in this one, as I'm considering a similar guitar and stuck in teh debate between "vintage" and "modern" Cunifes.