Two Effects I was Told I'd Hate...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by MrGibbly, Jun 6, 2020.

1. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

...but, I really enjoy and find inspire me to play and create! In my earliest days on internet guitar and gear forums I read all about how terrible and cheesy chorus was. People said how overused flangers were. For my first ~15 years of playing all the pedals I had were an Ibanez Soundtank Tube Screamer and a Crybaby. A lot has changed, but... I've had my current chorus pedal for ~5 years and love it on cleans anywhere from subtle and almost imperceptible all the way to seasick. The Flanger is the other one that makes me want to crank the crunch and play loud. Thick and chewy or crispy jet wash.

Any effects that get a bad internet rap but you get a kick out of?

2. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Absolutely agree on both.

It’s changing but boss pedals got a bad rap for years. I used them exclusively and no one ever said ‘oh what an awful tone’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Chief101

Chief101 Tele-Meister

Both are on my board. I like when my sound moves a little bit.

Telecaster88, marc2211 and dlew919 like this.
  4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Chorus is a great effect.... occasionally. In the 80's guys would step on it for leads, I knew one guy in a band who kept his flanger on all the time with distortion!!

5. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Tele-Meister

I still like chorus for that almost imperceptible "heat shimmer" effect you can hear around the edges of chords. You might not notice while it's on, but you do when it's off.

6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I've never agreed with the snobs who criticize the TS5 and TS7. I think they're listening with their eyes and not their ears and brain.

leonard d rock, marc2211 and dlew919 like this.
  7. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

These days I have a phaser on 99% of the time but at a level where no one knows. It adds just a little depth & character.

8. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a fan of the MXR Micro Flanger. I have mine set very low for almost a phaser sound. It can do a good chorus sound too with a twist of the knobs.

telemnemonics and marc2211 like this.
  9. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I think the secret sauce in Brian mays tone even today is a bit of chorus.

I suspect it’s used more than we know in some of the big names sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

Chorus is coming around as cool again. Any time I hear some “new” band they’ve got all kinds of swirl going on. I’m trying to get into it a bit. I got one of those Coral Mod pedals with a dial of 16 modulation effects on it. It’s pretty cool, but I’m struggling to find a set-it-and-forget-it setting on it.

marc2211 likes this.
  11. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

A stereo chorus is fantastic for turning a cheap little keyboard into one of the big boys.

demon and marc2211 like this.
  12. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I have a Phase 90 on almost all the time these days. I was inspired by Physical Graffiti to try it, and it works well for me.

I also use a very light chorus to thicken up chords sometimes, just to add a very light shimmer that is almost imperceptible until it's not there.

Couldn't live without these effects.

Telecaster88 and stormsedge like this.
  13. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i love chorus and flanger.

14. richbike

richbike Tele-Meister

i think it comes from recordings where the effect takes centre stage over the guitar and everything else.
    so if you're not a Nirvana fan its easy to assume chorus will make everything sound like come as you are and ruin it.
    less is more

dlew919 likes this.
  15. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Wether it comes from an effect (pedal, outboard rack) or from the recording itself: I hear some kind of chorus on many records, not only on guitars but on voice and drums too. When the band is recording « live » in the studio, instruments bleed in each other’s mics which often ends up with a phasing effect that can remind of a subtle chorus I think.

dlew919 likes this.
  16. Miff

Miff Tele-Meister

Chorus had a bad rap for decades because of bad guitarists in bad covers bands who used it on everything and would never turn it off. Probably because they paid £37.50 for it in 1988. I heard it and thought “I never want to sound like that” :)
    On the other hand I remember being very impressed by John McGeoch (Banshees) who had his flanger pedal fixed to his mic stand at a convenient height as he used different settings on every song.

17. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was such a chorus abuser that I am very self conscious about it now. I also got tired of the thinning of the tone. I have after two decades put a Dimension C2w in my wet/dry/wet rig. Use the 320 on the lightest setting. No thinning of tone, in fact, it gets super wide but you can’t really here the effect. I’ve never got on with flangers but it’s because I don’t know to properly use them.

18. bobk

bobk Tele-Meister

On one of my guitars it’s always on...set very subtlety......love it on clean tones and dirty as well......my go to is the Rockman Stereo Chorus....in the loop.....love it.........still haven’t found a flanger I’m in sync with....but the search continues...

19. Scooby Snax

Scooby Snax Friend of Leo's

I have an old DOD phase, 201. On slightly. That's my go to tone.
    I've been rotating between a dynatrem, univibe, lester k and the trem on my amp still trying to find my shimmer. I'll get there.

20. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I recently purchased a Caline Ultra Chorus, which adds more depth (?) to the effect than my previous stomp. I often use the Octave section of my Voodoo Octave with it...I like the sound. I use my MXR Phase 95 in some places I wouldn't have predicted (in fact, I initially had buyer'a remorse--no more).

IMG_1510.GIF

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.