Two deadbeat eBay buyers in a row? what are the chances?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Feb 25, 2020.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've put two guitars on eBay in the past ten days, one sold 'cleanly', and profitability in a five day auction, and was shipped out yesterday to.it's new owner.

The second guitar is a different matter, however. It was posted in a seven day auction, and was sold to a person who payed for it immediately via PayPal. A few hours after it closed, he messaged me and said that if I would like to cancel the deal it would be ok with him. I sensed that he was experiencing a dose of buyer's regret, and I didn't want to ship, and risk, the guitar only to have him regret his purchase and perhaps pursue a refund later. I just returned his money, and relisted the guitar, this time in a five day auction.

It was bid on and won yesterday by a guy who had only been on eBay since January 20th, and had only one previous eBay transaction.

BIG 'red flag' there. This ain't my first rodeo with this kind of thing, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt and see how it would go.

It's been over twenty-four hours now, and no payment, and no communication as to his intentions. I've now messaged him twice to ask if he still intended to pay for the guitar, and that I would relist it AGAIN tomorrow (Thursday) if he didn't at least respond to my communications.

I've been buying and selling things on eBay for about twenty years, and have only had any difficulty with a buyer one or two times out of over 200 transactions, and those were resolved quickly and amiably.

The guitar I'm selling is virtually new and unplayed, and includes a fitted hardcase, for less than half the price of a similar new example. It will almost certainly sell (again) in its third auction, but this is turning into a bit of an exasperating experience at this point, and I really wish some people wouldn't commit to buying these things if they're not certain that they really want it.

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I write in my listings that new account and low feedback bids will be removed.
    You have to be vigilant when listing items on ebay. Buying can also be problematic, I just received a phone case that looks nothing like the one I ordered, its purple rather than plain black too which adds to further insult. The past month has seen a damaged speaker shipped to me, I think knowingly and that ugly purple case. Two out of around 7 transactions. Most of the rest haven't arrived yet.

The majority of the time ebay works well for buying and selling other than their high selling fees.

3. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I feel your pain, I now only sell through CL, it's easy enough there to weed out the scammers, and the worst that happens is the buyer fails to show up, (which for me has happened only twice), out of about 60-70 transactions, that's fine with me. I only sell face to face, cash transactions, and I even put this in my postings. I've had too much hassle with fleaBay, with deadbeat bidders, unwarranted returns, excessive fees, etc. I'm never in a big hurry to make a sale, so CL is good enough for me, I am able to make my sales under my own terms, and am able to make sure the buyer is happy with what I've sold him/her. Never had a bad experience except for the 2 no-shows, and that at it's worst, is a minor inconvenience, and best of all, it's free!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.