Two 36-hour days, back-to-back. My second Ukraine trip.

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
*snip for length issues*

Thank you. Really can't type how much respect I have for you and the others who are doing this. It is just invaluable and selfless. No word of thanks is enough - you and the team really are like guardian angels to people who are in so desperate need of help. I am so glad to see the schools pitching in with Mini Bus usage too!

Since the invasion I donate directly to institutions in Ukraine and also to the charities who work on the ground, and am involved in other aspects when I can (NAFOFellas!), but due to my full time job and family I just don't have the time to be directly involved - if I could do more I would, and daily feel like I am not doing enough. Your selflessness is appreciated more than you know.

I won't go into my family links to Ukraine to preserve privacy, but I also work with lots of people from the region who have family and friends displaced, trapped or fighting, and I can see just how many broken people and families are out there - it's heart wrenching.

/huge respect

Слава Украïнi!!

Last edited:

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
You're doing wonderful work thank you. Howard Stern has had a sort of freedom fighter on his show that's gone there twice to do Deeds

billy logan

Tele-Afflicted

bigbean

Tele-Afflicted
"I think what we’re doing is vital, and for these individuals this was a hugely important thing. But there are over 4 million displaced people already from this war. I hope there are others trying to help the rest of them."
Wow! Thank you for posting that inspirational account. Bless you for the work you are doing. Thank you, as well, for illuminating the real benefits of helping to feed and care for the people displaced by this cruel war.

Keith's Ukrainian people helping efforts

Last edited:

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
Just wanted to post a quick thanks for people's comments and support on here, and the anonymous support elsewhere, but clearly from TDPRI. I'm really touched by it - thank you very much indeed.

I'm taking a couple of weeks off - need to rest, and then ferry my Godchildren to university in a couple of weeks. Anyone else got teenagers going off to university for the first time? Boy, that's a milestone, huh?!

I think I'm driving again September 27th, then a break again because I've got an exam coming up, and a couple of commitments in October.

The plan at the moment is to do runs to the end of October and then stop for the winter. It will be harder in the winter, when 2/3 of the driving will be in the dark, and when rain - and even snow and ice - will become much more prevalent.

At the same time, some of us have pointed out that if it's tough for us drivers, imagine how much tougher it will be for those whose homes have been bombed out. All those who have held on over the summer months, hoping it would all be over, and then realise, no, there's a winter of this to get through. There's an argument we'll be needed even more after that, so who knows? We're all learning and evolving this thing as we go along.

There have been only two weeks since April 19th that we haven't done a run. (Collective "we" - I only came to the party a few weeks ago!)

Trivia point, but perhaps helpful for context for those in the US - the distance we drive, out and back, is about the same as driving LA to New York.

A crew drove out yesterday. They hit heavy rain in Belgium late last night. They're fine, but I wished them luck and told them to take it easy in that weather, just before I went to bed. I woke up twice through the night dreaming I was driving a minibus too fast in heavy rain. Hopeless!

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
Thank you so much Keith and associates.

What you are doing reminds us all that there are good people in the world who fo above and beyond because there is a need
I think there are lots of us. I don't think we're outnumbered by the selfish, the greedy, the abusive - they're just louder sometimes, and we need to assert our values. Now more than ever, perhaps, to quote Mellencamp.

Oh, go on then, let's have a song!

"Who am I to say what needs to be done?
I'm just nobody, another lost one
Caught between what's left and what needs to be done
Now more than ever"
John Mellencamp

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
Thank you!

It's really touching to see these threads still getting interest and responses.

For info, I'm off again tomorrow. Just finished packing.

It's getting colder now, so clothing requirements are different! I was cargo shorts all the way the last few trips, but I think it's long trousers weather now!

We driving 6 minibuses, carrying 9 tons of aid to a refugee centre in Poznan on the way out, then picking up 42 refugees in Warsaw for the run back. Poznan is in western Poland, so it's a shorter drive out than last time. Still tiring, I'm sure, but it should save us about 5 or 6 hours driving altogether.

I'm driving with someone I haven't met before, though I've seen him on TV - he did a good interview for us on the BBC a couple of months back. So looking forward to that. Sylvie, that I drove with on the trip detailed above, is coming this week. And Troels is, again, leading the convoy.

I did one after the one I wrote up above, but didn't write anything about it. I'd done 3 trips in 4 weeks. I was exhausted by it, and emotionally a bit raw. Nevertheless, I'm really excited to be heading out again tomorrow. I just wish we could do more.

I won't do any more after this one, sadly, at least for a while. I've got some other commitments for the next few weeks - including a holiday in Marrakesh, to be fair; it's not like I'm burdened down with stuff!! - and the team are doing their last run of the year in the first week of November. After that, it's been decided, the weather, the longer nights etc just make it too tough.

I get that, and recognise the consensus view. However, I am gently making the point that if we think it's tough doing that drive in the winter weather, imagine what's going to be like being a refugee through the winter. Who knows? I wouldn't be surprised if views change, but we'll see.

Anyway - I'll hopefully post something about this week in due course. Thanks again for the kind comments and support.