Twisting Output Transformer Wire Question

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by TobyZ28, Jan 28, 2020.

1. TobyZ28

TobyZ28 Tele-Meister

Yup whole kit is 18awg, PT,OT,Hookup Wire. ;) I'm 80% done all the wiring already, I'll just struggle through to the end now. I suppose it'll build character doing it the hard way being a first and all lol.

2. TobyZ28

TobyZ28 Tele-Meister

20200128_122227.jpg

3. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Holic

:eek::eek::cry::cry:o_Oo_O:confused::confused::(:(:mad::mad::mad::eek::eek::eek:Rainman with not enough beer!

King Fan and TobyZ28 like this.
  4. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted

Next amp build you should try some 22awg topcoat wire. It is pretinned, resist melting when soldering and holds it shape when bent. Valvestorm sells it by the foot or roll.

Your amp does not employ nfb but if you should ever choose to add the mod from Rob's site, be sure to leave some slack in the OT wires leading to the sockets. NFB can cause the amp to squeal and would require swapping the leads to the 6v6 sockets. On any new amp build that does employ nfb, always leave yourself some slack in those wires until after the first startup.

Wally and sds1 like this.
  5. TobyZ28

TobyZ28 Tele-Meister

Here I thought I was just all thumbs hooking up the leads... I will be using some much better wire next build for sure!
    Do I get some sort of medal for wiring it all up with Post Apocalyptic grade wiring? lol.

dan40 likes this.
  6. DanceCanse

DanceCanse TDPRI Member

TobyZ28 likes this.
  7. TobyZ28

TobyZ28 Tele-Meister

8. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

Twisting the OTs wires together, while good practice, is more about neatness than anything else. They don’t carry signal that you don’t want, so any feedback from the, is probably ok(ish). The inductance of untwisted wires is somewhat moot too. The loop would have been in the nH range, and they’re supplying a TX with attached driver that appears to the tubes as a huge inductance (about 1H or so).

elpico and TobyZ28 like this.
  9. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I no longer recommend twisting output transformer wires, primary or secondary. Twisting wires primarily reduces their transmission of noise, not reception of noise. Twisting them together can cause enough capacitive coupling to reduce high frequency response. I didn't really believe this at first but after trying it both ways on a couple of amps I'm a believer so I try to separate the wires when possible. I also stopped twisting the wire run from the phase inverter to the power tubes for the same reason. I updated many of my amp layouts to show this.

Wally, akuster777 and D'tar like this.
  10. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Presumably same applies for running them tight parallel?

Did you find a certain minimum amount of separation was necessary to preserve HF in your testing?

11. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes, tight parallel would be just as bad. I just tried twisted vs separated. The test was prompted by someone building one of my amps and telling me about how much better the amp sounded with separated wires.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.