Twisted Tele VS. Bareknuckle True Grit

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by lj89, Aug 4, 2021.

1. lj89

lj89 TDPRI Member

Hey guys,

I have a MIM Fender Baja that I was advised to upgrade the pickups on with some Bareknuckle True Grits. So I bought a set and changed them out and almost sold the originals. Before I did I looked up what the stock pups were in a Baja and realised these were custom shop twisted tele pickups. I'm also not sure which I actually prefer of the two.

Do you think I've made a mistake swapping these out?

Any advice appreciated!

2. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Eye of the beholder. Personal taste. Listen to neck/bridge and see which tone just makes you wanna play longer.

lj89 and Fretting out like this.
  3. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

What didn't you like about the stock ones?

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

So you just swapped them out because someone said they aren’t any good?

I would have just listened to the pickups and see if I like them before changing, did you like them before changing?

As far as I’m aware the pickups in the Baja are made in Mexico to custom shop specs

The neck being a twisted tele and the bridge being a broadcaster

lj89 likes this.
  5. whetherkings

whetherkings Tele-Meister

I’ve just bought some true grits to try but haven’t put them in yet. Be interested in what you think of yours.

lj89 likes this.
  6. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

Who cares what other people say. The only thing that matters is what you think sounds better. As Josh of JHS says "If it's good then it's good." Also please post what you find different about the sets

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    Fretting out and lj89 like this.
  7. lj89

lj89 TDPRI Member

I always thought they seemed pretty good but I was advised that some Bareknuckles would be an improvement. He was a pretty good sound engineer so I took his advice.

8. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Bareknuckle Pickups are awesome. I generally try to hold on to the original pickups tho. That way you can keep the upgrades if you sell the guitar, or it’s value added to sell it w both sets.

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  9. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Afflicted

Bare knuckle pups are phenomenal. Would definitely be a upgrade. But based on the Baja teles I’ve played. I don’t know if they are needed. It’s like saying you drive a Honda Civic that you love. And some ass hat saying “oh a BMW would be better” like ok. Fair point. But there’s no real reason to swap. Especially just because someone told you to. Lol that’s how kids get hooked on crack now. “Well someone said it was a good idea” do you wanna be a crack addict?…. Probably not. Play the damn thing. Then determine for yourself. Your use and needs won’t be the same as the guy who told you to swap

10. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

trust your own ears- I have come to the conclusion that lots of pickups sound differently but rarely is one really better than the other. Some over drive better, some have a better strumming sound, some are clearer etc. At minimum I would not sell the originals. I like twisted teles, 64's, 62's, OV, nocasters, stock vinteras and American standards

Midgetje94 likes this.
  11. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

I would love to hear your Bareknuckle pups!

12. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

If the Baja is a MIM Tele, they are not CS Twisted Tele pups. There are two TTs. One is made in Mexico, and the other is hand wound from the Fender CS. This has caused confusion in the past.

13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Perhaps. If it is the 50’s baja with the fatter neck and twisted tele/broadcaster pickup combo.

50’s Baja pickups are very very good stock. I was all planned to ‘upgrade’ to BK... saved a fortune. Got several other BK sets to know and played lots of teles to compare.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  14. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

The Player series Tele I bought last year has a MIM Twisted Tele neck pickup stock and I love it. I actually use the neck pickup more than I usually do because it sounds so good to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.