Twisted Tele, Texas Specials, Telecaster and Strat

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by jrintheemaking, May 28, 2021.

1. jrintheemaking

jrintheemaking TDPRI Member

Hi,

I have an American Special Strat that had Custom Shop Texas Specials in it. I especially loved the sound of these pickups as I’m typically not a Strat guy.
    I also have an American Standard Nashville Tele with a B bender. The middle pickup of the Tele has a Texas Special Special in it, and I prefer the bridge pickup of the Tele to the Strat, so I decided to put some Teisco gold foils in the Strat, as the Tele and the Strat were two similar sounding.
    I do miss the neck pickup of the Strat and I would like to get as close as I can to the sound of the Texas Special on the Strat and put it into the Tele. I also have other Teles with traditional Tele pickups so I wouldn’t be missing anything by swapping it out.
    Short of just putting a Texas Special strat neck pickup and modding the Tele, what would be the best neck pickup to get me into Strat territory, specifically the sound of Strat Texas Special. I know people love the Twisted Tele neck pickups for this purpose but I am open to other ideas/pickups. Thanks so much!

2. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

The Twisted is the most Strat like Tele neck pup I've ever heard. Then you have the Twang King from DiMarzio which is a cross between the Tele and the Strat. I find the Twang King to be a better pickup because it's more versatile. The Twisted is very pleasing but it's almost too spanky and hollow, you can easily grow tired of it. That's why you see so many mixed reviews : people either love it or hate it !

KATT and jrintheemaking like this.
  3. TN Tele

TN Tele Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Love the balance of the twisted tele pickups in my thinline. Not twangy at all all, bite and growl at the bottom end and clarity at the top end. You should try them.

jrintheemaking likes this.
  4. jrintheemaking

Thank you Nic

5. jrintheemaking

Thank you TN Tele

6. 53Strat

53Strat Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have two Telecasters with a Twisted Tele neck. and I had a MIM Baja which claimed to have a twisted Tele neck pickup in the neck.

The MIM pickup is definitely not the CS item and I think advice about the pickup is often a result of confusion over which pickup has been experienced.

I have a CS Twisted Tele set in an American Pro which I had modified by the 920D custom shop at purchase from them and also installed by them at the same time I have
    a Texas special middle pickup in a Nashville configuration. This combination is well balanced and suited. You do have to make sure the TS is set close to the pickguard as
    with TS strast pickups to get the best sound out of them and balanced with the Neck and bridge. This combo will stay for the life of the guitar or me.

I have a set of Lollar Vintage tele pickups in the Baja now and I must say the neck in that is very strat like too which confirms why I like the TT.

jrintheemaking and fleezinator like this.
  7. jrintheemaking

this is good advice. Thank you. By this :

“You do have to make sure the TS is set close to the pickguard as
    with TS strast pickups to get the best sound out of them,” I’m assuming you mean with the magnets a good distance away from the strings, and the base of the pickup closer to the body?

8. 53Strat

53Strat Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yes, your ears are the best guide but don't be afraid to set the TS well down.

9. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You may love the Twisted Tele pickup. I am not a fan. In my Baja it is very unremarkable, not a bad sound, just not for me.

10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'm shooting in the dark trying to answer this one, as it's missing a subjective bit of info. What tonal qualities to do *you* like about the TS pickup in the neck position? What sound/tone do you want?

IMO the Twisted Tele neck pickup is somewhat Stratty, but has a clean, defined sound that may not serve you well if that isn't the Texas Special tone you want.

11. jrintheemaking

Good question, although hard to define. On traditional Tele, I never really play with the neck pickup alone as it is too dark for my tastes. Although, I’m a big fan of the middle position and having a darker neck pickup balanced with a bright bridge pickup is perfect for that.

Since it’s a Nashville Tele and has a middle pickup, that’s not really an issue.
    I don’t play with a lot of gain, prefer bright tones to dark ones, and I’m looking for more shimmer, something prettier (although that’s of course subjective).
    Does that answer your question?

12. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I usually put a strat pickup in my Teles' neck position, but the Lollar Royal-T sounds more strat like than any other I've tried. (Tried the Twisted Tele, Calivelier, the Twang King and pickups from most other makers, both volume manufacturers and boutique makers.)

13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

IMO the Twisted Tele neck pickup is exactly what you need.

14. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

I haven't used the Twisted Tele pickups so I can't comment on those. However, I have had a set of Texas Special Strat pickups and didn't like them at all. Way too midrange for my tastes. Replaced those with Lindy Frailin Vintage Hots and never looked back.

15. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

Being that you like the Texas special pickups, why not put a Texas Tele pickup in your Nashville Tele? They make Texas Tele bridge and neck pickups. That's what I had in my old Nashville Tele. They were great. I had mine paired with a SD Antiquity in the middle. Good luck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.