1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Twisted neck - can you unfret it and plane it back to playable?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by domakkah, Nov 21, 2016.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Remember the thread on the neck with the popped out skunkstripe whose slot was now overly wide?
    This is why....

3. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

What kept me from trying it was the idea of making the rod rusty. And now there's the wide slot.

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

Yes... depending on your skill level... but... that's exactly what any competent luthier does to the raw wood prior to shaping it..... ya plane it to close dimensions.. let it acclimate to the new internal stresses.. see if it's still flat... if not ya plane it again, then wait again...

just doing it your way, you don't have as much "room" to work with.. so get it right the firat time..

Heating, boiling, soaking, doing any of that is indeed only a temporary fix, it's probably gonna wander back top the warped state again.. IF the darn things survives the torture involved in pursuing the temporary fix...

Ron Kirn

5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Actually twisted necks are awsome, I have one of these image.jpeg

Zepfan likes this.
  6. kingoflimbs

kingoflimbs Tele-Meister

i can't condone chinese parts. buy american (or mexican at least).

7. mikeyb

mikeyb Tele-Meister

I've gotten 5 Chinese necks so far, all from different vendors; two from Amazon; All under $30. All were operational with only minor flaws like nut not glued in straight or fret ends need dressing. All were able to be leveled (easily) and had working truss rods. Ebay has great buyer protection that nets you a free item if the product does not match the description. Chinese vendors will never pay for the return shipping; Amazon will. If the specs state 42mm nut and 56mm heel, they will work well in a partscaster. They all seem to have 22 frets.

8. piece of ash

piece of ash Friend of Leo's

You didn't mention how it plays... A slightly twisted neck is of no concern if plays well. presuming all else is good, get your relief set correctly... and all could be well.

9. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

A twist that is visible by sighting down the neck would require a huge amount of material to be removed to straighten it out. Then you are going to have new stresses working against it remaining flat.
    As has already been stated, the whole idea of a bolt on neck is easy replacement.
    You can buy cheap Chinese necks which do the job.
    Or an Allparts neck, or a Fender neck.
    IMO trying to untwist a twisted neck is a waste of time.

10. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

I bought a new Gibson ES-335 in 1989. If I remember correctly it's a 1988. My neck twisted and I called the factory since Gibson's have a lifetime warranty. I was told it has no warranty because it was made during a brief period where they offered only a five year warranty. I paid a luthier to remove the frets and plane the neck and re-fret. Turned out great. The only difference is the fret dots are now a tiny bit closer to the fret board. I'm still made as he** with Gibson for not backing up their own instrument. I haven't bought a new one since and never will.

11. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Just slap some these in it.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.