1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Twin Reverb vs Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by lmjmitchell, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Thanks for calling me out, and for the passing grade.

A solid TDPRI contributor right there. Too bad the ignore button will prevent me from seeing future useful posts like these.

TwangerWannabe and pugnax like this.
  2. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Yes I think it's mostly designed for the professional gigging player. You get passable tone, good portability, the option to go direct foh, and complete volume control.

Kinda weird recommendation for a fella lookin for his first real tube amp, solely for home use.

Crazy times.

3. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

I mean, everyone’s first home tube amp should be a Bugera V5, right?

4. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

All your worldly problems solved.

You're welcome.

[​IMG]

tombm3 and pugnax like this.
  5. CupofJoe

CupofJoe TDPRI Member

I will second this. I have cpri that I love because it lives with me in my kitchen and plays all the sounds I need while I’m making dinner or sending my son off to school (now virtually but he doesn’t seem to mind) those are my times to play ... it is better at sounding low volume than something that requires so many pedals to replicate

6. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Unless you find a twin for less than a PR, go with the princeton.

More controls dont always mean anything more than it takes longer to sound like you want. The twin has, IMO, a drippier sounding reverb. The thing with all the knobs and dialing in what you're after is once you push it past the 12 O Clock spot, you're going to be getting into a whole other sack of sounds, but you're not comfortable at those volumes, so I'm not thinking the control setup will matter as much.
    The princeton benefits from a 12 replacing the stock 10, but otherwise is quite versatile. They sound different from one another, I'd reccomend trying them both.

7. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

He said he wanted his first TUBE amp. I don’t care what anyone anywhere says, those Tone Master amps do not and will not ever sound like the real thing. What you want is a tube amp, not a toy.

jh

cravenmonket likes this.
  8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Right. I don't like the Tonemaster's sound at all, and I've not even heard one yet! <g>

Seriously, the true answer to the Tonemaster, is it works better for some folks, and not for others. Its really that simple, but its not an easy answer, because you have to try it to see. I personally haven't been inclined to try them, because I'm happy with both my Twin's and Deluxe, and [WARNING: CONTROVERSIAL CONTENT] don't care about the weight savings. And I'm thankful I can still hoist an 81 lb amp in and out of my jeep. When the day comes that I can't, I'll be thankful for products like the Tonemaster, and other manageable products.

Haloskater24, nicknklv and Boreas like this.
  9. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

He also said this:

"My only real concern is that the Twin Reverb might not sound great at lower volumes. I'm very sensitive to loud noises, so I play everything at a low volume. Is this a legitimate concern with the Twin? Will it still sound good at low volumes?"

My thought was perhaps he should consider something more practical that he may be ultimately happier with. Whether they sound "the same" as their namesake is immaterial. Tube amps change tone over time, and many, if not most, have been modified with different caps, speakers, and tubes. So what is "THE" sound of a tube amp? Some people, including myself, still chase tone even with tube amps. But we are not all wired that way. Just thought he should check them out - if nothing else for the built-in attenuation circuit. The choice is ultimately his.

10. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

I have played Quilters and have the Pro Block 200 as the worlds most perfect backup, actually fits under my passenger seat. If you are looking for Fender tone, which it sounds like you are, the Tone masters are superior in every way. I would grab the twin as it gives you the bright switch (though I believe there is a firmware update just out that lets you defeat that, it is nice to have the option at the flick of a switch). I'm a tube snob and if I didn't already have the amps I have, I would grab the TMTR and be done with it.
    The problem with very low volume playing is that NO amp sounds good. At a certain point, you are much better off with a headphone rig. But down to that point the tone masters give you great tone and great versatility if you do ever start playing with others. Good luck!

11. Boreas

Don't Tonemasters have a headphone jack?

12. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

Either or both,. impossible to go wrong.

13. Boreas

To answer my own question - NO. They have a balanced line out with an output pot. I suppose one could rig up headphones to that output somehow.

14. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Speaker wouldn't be silent though. A popular choice is a used Yam THR for silent/headphones and then whatever amp you want for when you can turn up and/or play with others. No compromises needed that way-

Boreas likes this.
  15. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

If you need it to be on the quiet side, I would stick with the smaller amp. The Princeton reverb would be your best option. Do you want mostly clean sounds? Are you into the fender blackface features of trem and reverb?

nicknklv likes this.
  16. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

You can plug the Tonemaster output into an audio input for recording, then use that to listen through headphones. Speaker will be silent if you want. I don’t have my TM anymore, but that’s what I did and worked great for my situation.

Boreas likes this.
  17. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

Mike Campbell would disagree.

57fenderstrat and Axegrinder77 like this.
  18. Boreas

Oh...duh...

I remember back in the 80s cutting the speaker leads and installing a switch and headphone outlet to my old Peavey Backstage amp. I am sure the impedences were all mismatched, but it worked really well. Just couldn't crank the amp too high or it was like sticking your head in a microwave. Luckily, technology for silent practice has evolved!

19. Boreas

Why did you get rid of it? Just wondering...

20. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

Yeah, I love old tube amps. I’m about to rehab a SFVC and modify a MMB, both getting NOS tubes, and the MMB getting a Jensen P12Q.

I only say this because I have a Blues Cube Hot and would absolutely consider a TMTR. They’re not EXACTLY like tube amps, but they’re close enough.

Tube amp snobbery quickly becomes a cork-sniffing rabbit hole. Tube amps are superior to solid state/digital modeling devolves into PTP is superior to PCB, which devolves into vintage or boutique are superior to current production line, which devolves into NOS tubes are superior to current production, which devolves into RCA vs Sylvania vs Mullard, etc., which eventually devolves into which caps are the best.

And, yeah, maybe all of the above is true, but a Tone Master or Blues Cube don’t sound THAT far off, and unless you’re a hobbyist, enthusiast, or Eric Johnson, the differences might not be especially important.

Boreas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.