Twin Reverb Vs. Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RotelliCaster, Mar 26, 2008.

1. RotelliCaster

RotelliCaster Tele-Holic

I love my Twin! No matter what else I play through I always prefer my TR RI.

2. chisa

chisa Tele-Meister

+1 and the SFTR is handwired

3. Michaell

Michaell Tele-Holic

get both

4. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Deluxe Reverb sounds 1000% better than the BJ. Indescribably better. You can't really compare them, the DR wipes the floor with the BJ. But it's not really any louder. A super-efficiency speaker gets you more volume, but it gets the BJ more, too.

I have an old Twin Reverb, and I'll tel you, if you don't mind the weight, go for it. There are in-between options to consider: Vibrolux, Pro, etc. Anyway, as it may have already been said, the BJ and the DR are so equivalent in loudness that one doesn't overpower the other, except in tone and refinement.

5. oldpkr

oldpkr Tele-Meister

this is not helping me decide either :)
    i bought a TRRI first because i always wanted one (a twin reverb, not neccessarily a RI), then realized i would probably never really use that much power. So i got a DRRI with the intention of selling the twin.
    now i don't know
    oh whoa is me.....what to do, what to do?

6. Flewis

Flewis Tele-Holic

To me, the deluxe is a more versitile amp - and sounds killer at low or high volume.

7. Demo

Demo Tele-Meister

Is there a Fender twin (TR) equivalent with two 6L6's/5881's in stead of four, or is it all or nothing?

8. Slickster

Slickster Tele-Holic

I have one of each ... I love them both. Then twin sits in my basement, and the DRRI goes with me. Stick with craigslist and maybe even a local ebay seller. I grabbed my TRRI for $600 off a local ebay listing ... same price for the DRRI off craigslist.

The twin has a beautiful sound, even at lower volumes. Clean, it is stunning. The DRRI sounds great too. I actually like the DRRI turned up a bit when using pedals better. My Barber LTD and Fulldrive sounds perfect. Both sound excellent with my tele and my strat.

I picked up a used Boss loop pedal ... I play a bit on the DRRI and get the loop going, then solo and mess around on the twin ... OMG ... the tone in my basement! I am a legend in my own mind, and THE best guitarist in my house.

9. Mik

Mik Tele-Afflicted

Blackface or silverface Pro Reverb, not the same as a Twin with different transformers and no mid control, but close, same cab, 2x12, 40 watts...

10. Demo

Demo Tele-Meister

Hey Mik. Thanks. I thought of them BF/SF Pro's) too, but I don't think they have the same vibe as the TR? Some guys describe them as having dramatically more scooped mids. I'd also miss the bright switch and the mid pot not on the DR (unless you go into boutique - whichI would do). I've sort of got the hots for a DR, but 6V6's are totally different animals from 6L6GC's/5881's.

I've heard of guys doing DR's with 6L6's, or even EL34's (THAT, I'd love to hear). I don't have a 6L6 amp anymore, and frankly, I miss it.

11. Mik

Mik Tele-Afflicted

A SF or BF Pro Reverb is a lot closer to a Twin than a DR, I doubt if 6L6'd DR is anything like the Twin/Super 6L6 experience. A few months ago I played a SF Pro Reverb(Clapton Strat) with band and I didn't find it thin, didn't miss mids, it was full rich sound-and I started to want one!:oops:

12. RotelliCaster

RotelliCaster Tele-Holic

I'll never buy a new Fender amp again!

After little more than a year my TRRI decided to start blowing fuses and letting the smoke out.

One of the reasons I bought this amp new so that I would have a waranty.

I called fender to obtain warranty service for the "still smoking" twin.
    There is no authorized service provider for Fender amps in OKC. the closest place is in Tulsa or Ardmore, both of which are over 2 hours away from me. I'm told that I must have my original receipt, which I do, and that I have to get the amp to the service center and back home at my expense. Now ain't that a pisser? The Fender rep told me that if I lived in New Mexico I wouldn't have a service center in my state at all! I guess, I should feel lucky now. So I invest 8+ hours on the road or I bare the expense of the round trip shipping. It may be cheaper to fix it myself.

So what good was it for me to buy a new Amp? I don't see any reason that I would ever buy a new Fender amp again. I spent the money on a new one specifically for the warranty, and now it's difficult and costly to use.

I'm NOT happy.

13. Telepatio

Telepatio Tele-Meister

I'll throw my hat in the ring since I've had all three:

Blues Jr. - decent amp that you can get some good sounds out of. Not super versatile and a loud drummer walks all over it.

DRRI - retubed and respeakered, not a bad little amp. More versatile than the BJ by a long shot.

SFTR - now you're getting into some tone. As others have said, VERY heavy and you're lucky to get it past 5 in a band setting.

Then I got a 69' silverface Super Reverb. Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner!! Something about 4x10's is special. Three dimensional if you will. Lot's of headroom but handles pedals like a champ. Seemingly bigger, but doesn't feel heavier than the Twin.

As for the new amps, the circuit boards scare me. Any old tech can fix a point to point and old amps look cool! :p

Like someone else said, eventually you'll own them all!

14. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Builds character, and MUSCLE! :D

15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Eventually you'll have to have both, y'know...

16. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Tele-Meister

Ive never played a Twin so I have nothing in my memory bank as a reference. I know there's no telling how many times I've heard others playing them, but anyway. The BDRI is 2 6L6. I used to have one and I think they sound great. I have no idea how they compare soundwise to the Twin though. I did have a DRRI for quite a while and my guess is it sounds similar to a Twin. If that logic is right, then a BDRI is not real Twin-like. Although I preferred the sound of the BDRI to the DRRI.

Our local county fair is a big deal where I live and some big names play it each year as well as us nobody locals. We played outdoors un mic'd and I used the BDRI for that gig and still had to use a pedal for dirt.

In a later post you mention switching the DRRI to 6L6. I looked into this when I had my DRRI and from what I remember it wasn't a real big project to do and easily reversable, IIRC.

17. jazzjoker

jazzjoker TDPRI Member

Smith 10w amp

That's a little tone monster ! Can you send me more info and your mail ?

Best regards

Olaf

18. RotelliCaster

RotelliCaster Tele-Holic

I'll never buy a new Fender amp again???

Never Say "Never".

I still have to deal with getting my twin fixed, and I pray that it comes back to me working like it did in the beginning.

In the meantime, My Blues Junior has a Buzzy/Farty sound that I cannot get to go away. I've done plenty to try and cure it.

So....
    The shop that sold me my twin for a good price when Fender went up last time has the same deal for me again on a DRRI. Current Retail seems to be $1,199.00 USD (MSRP $1,500.00). I can get one for $899.00 plus tax for a new one. I can do this at 12 months no interest too.

Now I have GAS for the DRRI.

19. RotelliCaster

RotelliCaster Tele-Holic

I had to have them both

I went in to Dancing Dragon Music here in OKC and they totally hooked me up.
    I spent and hour with a Road Worn Tele, and A/B'ed the heck out of a Princeton Reverb RI and the Deluxe Reverb RI. I like the Princeton clean tones best, But I thought I'd end up regretting not having the power in the long run. The Princeton breaks up after 3 on the volume and it breaks up pretty fast for every number you dial after 4.

They sold me a new DRRI for under$800 USD:!:

I thought that I would end up flipping my Modified Blues Junior to offset some of the cost of the DRRI. NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

I have been spoiled by my Twin and I thought the B-JR was not going to fill the bill while the twin is in the shop. I put the stock speaker back in my B-Jr last night and finally got the Farty noise to go away.

When I got home with the DRRI tonight I A/B'ed it with the B-Jr and I was shocked. The B-Jr is way more twin like than the DRRI. The DRRI sounds kinda Boxy but I'm thinking that the Speaker is probably still sorta stiff.

The DRRI has it's own collection of cool tones, but for a Twin Reverb sound in a small box, the Modified Blues Jr. is the winner hands down.

No More GAS, Please!:oops:

20. RotelliCaster

RotelliCaster Tele-Holic

Loving the DRRI

The twin is still out of action, but I've had several days with the DRRI and I am lovin it!

The DRRI has so much to offer as far a flavors of sound, everything from sweet to spicy, smooth to down right course, and everything in between.

I still like the sweet super clean sound of the Twin, best. I can always drop a pedal in front of the twin to get the grit at low volume. But when it comes time to turn it up the twin is never short of breath.

Gonna have to put some legs on the Deluxe, coz she's gonna be here a while, so she might as well "Kick Back"!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.