Twin Reverb Vs. Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RotelliCaster, Mar 26, 2008.

1. RotelliCaster

RotelliCaster Tele-Holic

I have the awful problem of wanting a Twin Reverb! The super clean sound with Reverb & Vibrato is awesome. Fender has just gone up on their amps in the last few weeks, and I was offered an out the door deal on a "65"RI Twin Reverb that would save me a couple of hundred bucks. I also played a new, Deluxe Reverb (not sure if it was an RI) for about 45 minutes at pretty loud volumes, at the same store. I really like the DR and I'm sure the Twin would be awesome too.

I will rarely ever get to push a twin very hard.

I just bought and modified a blues Jr to be a clean sounding, portable practice amp, that is pedal friendly.

is the DR like the twin just a 1x12 22watt version?

I want something more powerful that then B-jr for home use and the occasional louder gig. The B-jr is a light amp for a small practice space.

Here is the dollar factor to consider.

65RI Twin $1,150.00 out the door (new)
    Deluxe Reverb $700.00 OTD (Used/Like New with the foot switch & all the papers)

Open to suggestion.

2. fenderguy

fenderguy Tele-Meister

Twin would be my choice.. I live in an apartment building and never rock the twin very loud.. But man they are worth every penny... Just very heavy...

3. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

All the BF amps share the same basic topology - front end, tone stack, etc. The Twin and Deluxe have the following differences of interest:

1. Twin tone stack as a mid control, the Deluxe does not. This Deluxe tone stack is essentially like a Twin with the mid knob stuck at about 7.
    2. The Twin has a "Bright" switch, the Deluxe does not.
    3. The stock Deluxe has a slight treble boost on the reverb/vibrato channel due to a small bypass capacitor on the volume knob. It is like the "Bright" switch on the Twin if it could somehow be turned on half-way.
    4. The Twin is 80 watts and the Deluxe is 20

Other than that, the reverb and tremolo circuits are identical as is the gain structure. Even the phase splitters are the same, though the Twin runs at a somewhat higher voltage.

The Deluxe can easily be modified to have a somewhat similar tone arrangement. On my '65 DR, I put a push-pull pot in for the Volume control so that I could turn the brightness circuit on and off, for example.

While I love the sound of a good Twin, I personally find amps of that wattage to be total overkill for everything I do. The Deluxe gives me great BF tone at a much more manageable power level, including virtually every electric gig I have had since 1985 - and that's a lot.

So, if you think you will have some really loud gigs by all means get the Twin. If not, I strongly recommend the DR.

I find the DR to be far too much amp in my house, by the way. I can't turn it up past 2.5. For home practicing, I use a BF Champ with a Weber speaker. Add an external reverb pedal and wail away!

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Rotellicaster wrote: "The super clean sound with Reverb & Vibrato is awesome."
    The first four words may define your decision. Both the DR and the TR yield that 'super clean' sound at some sound level. The Dr runs out of headroom and starts to distort long before the TR will. If you are looking for the headroom, go for the TR. IF you like the heat of the DR when it is pushed, go for that. or...buy both.
    AS Shel Silverstien wrote and sang....
    "Baby I need it all,
    To get my rocks off the mountain
    and roll 'em on down the hill."

5. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

I have 2 Twins one is a 65RI and the other is a mid 70's SF. They are both great amps but they are also very, very, heavy and very, very, loud. I also have a DRRI and I find that it is way more mangeable volume-wise and at 42lbs. less of a back breaker. You can literally walk into a gig with a guitar in one hand and the amp in the other. The Twin RI and DRRI use the same Jensen speakers by the way.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I passed on a 2002 DRRI that had been (I guess) safely through the storm here, on consignment for $ 625, partly because I was so nervous about how this amp had fared the mess, but also because I knew it'd derail me on getting that twin.

I think the price on the twin sounds sweeter, but there may be a realignment of prices where the alnico's cost is dominant, or where smaller is better and the bargains are all on the big boys. If this price on alnicos stays up, look for people scavenging these magnets out of ruined speakers that've been going to the landfill up until now.

7. wierdOne

wierdOne Tele-Holic

I know it's going to sound weird... but I started another thread about the top 5 amps under a grand.... well... my cousin wants an amp for his archtop.... so... in the past couple of hours he's decided to buy my Blues Jr. (with super mods done by John Landgraff) and I am going to be getting a louder amp....

the Blues Jr. is 18 watts.....

i'm upgrading to a 10 watt amp.... :)

you read that right... 10 watts... Loud... headroom.... and amazing sounding....

Smith Custom Amplifier SC-10 w/ Reverb....

I stumbled across his 25 watt amp a couple of weeks ago... no question... easily the most responsive amp i've played through under 4,000.00.... amazing... and now i'm gonna get his 10 watt version to match... for my indoor jazz/rock gigs.... :)

I know that Smith's amps don't have vibrato... but I NEVER use vibrato.... but if I did... there's some great pedal options today...

good luck... I had a 65 fender twin that i traded in on my smith amp.... and the twin was BAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDD...... I actually loved that amp.... but I'm INFATUATED with my Smith amp... :D

soon to be two... :D

8. Stickyfingers

Stickyfingers Tele-Meister

I have a 65 RI and like it a lot. If I was rich and famous now as I was SUPPOSED to be, my groupies would be haulin' that thing around. Alas...didn't happen so I bust MY gut with it. I use the amp with a Hot Plate also so I can run it harder, but not pop eyeballs or straighten hair in the crowd.........

ce24 likes this.
  9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice ad, Weird one. I would like to have heard the amp switched between the 3 bias settings without any other changes just to hear that difference by itself. Why the delay? IN the BF 'setting' experiment?
    I take it that you live near Sammy?
    What thread is this? I have completely forgotten I was so smitten with that video ad. :eek: :rolleyes:

10. superlightweigh

superlightweigh Tele-Holic

I love my DRRI and $700 sounds like a good price for one. I've never owned a Twin, although I had a HRDx 4x10 in the last band I was in, which was at least a little more comparable weight-wise and volume-wise to the Twin, but not tone-wise.

11. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Anyone who would pay $1150 for a brand new '65 Twin reissue amp ought to have their head examined, IMO, when you can get a real deal vintage SF Twin Reverb from the 70s for $600-750 all day locally or on eBay. Just like buying a new car, the minute you walk out the door, you've just flushed at least $250 down the toilet in depreciation, as you'd be hard pressed to get $900 for it as a used amp. The DR is a different story, as prices for SF DR models are crazy high, so a RI may be in order, if you just have to have one, even though the SF is a way better amp. I'd never recommend a new Fender amp when you can get a vintage model for less or only slightly more, depending on model. Get something that will INCREASE in value, and give you years of great tone.

12. wierdOne

wierdOne Tele-Holic

Well if you read the original post, he's got a blues jr that doesnt have enough headroom. I happened to have the same problem a couple of months ago. That sent me on the quest for a louder amp. I got a 65 fender twin rebuilt by my buddy John landgraff. I won't even go there.. Landgraff was my neighbor for years before Ivan hit.. Anyways. It was too loud. So I traded it for my smith amp. Awesome. Now I'm dumping off my blues jr for another smith amp... So. I was relating my VERY similar story. It may sound like an ad.. But dont knock em before you try em...

By the way. I live 5 hours south of smith amplifiers... So instead of causing trouble, offer the man some amp advice. I'd type more but the iPhone will only type so fast and Ive got to get back to playing my new amp for the lovely diners.

13. RotelliCaster

RotelliCaster Tele-Holic

Some one should send me some help!

[​IMG]

I stopped in on the way home and gave the owner of a local music store $1,150.00 CASH and brought home a brand new twin. I am first in line for a bargain, but there is allot to be said for local support and that goes both ways. I like having local shops for stuff and not just the GC's and Walmart, mega stores. I buy lots of stuff on the web too, Guitars, guitar parts and motorcycle stuff. I passed on and didn't mention in this thread, the $700.00 twin at our local GC that looks almost new but the guys told me it has been out a couple of times for repair. I Had a fella at GC, in the parking lot, last week offer me a TR with a pair of Red Coats speaker in it , for $800. the tabs on the speakers had allot of solder on all four connection tabs of each speaker like they had been moved a few times and ended up in this rigg before he tried to sell it. It may have been a killer deal, but I didn't feel great about that deal so I passed on it too.

I just parted out an XR250 that I got on Ebay that was sold as Perfect, needs nothing! I never did get to ride that bike as it was a busted frame P.O.S. and I ate 2k on that good deal.

So call me crazy but I got a new 65 Re-issue Twin Reverb for a better than retail price!

14. Big Lug

Big Lug Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Maybe, just maybe, some people don't want to buy an old amp.

Maybe, just maybe, some people like new amps.

Different strokes for different folks I always say.

PS: I will offer a 50% discount in my clinical rates to any TDPRI member who feels they need their head examined regarding this... aw heck... any music related issue. Non music related issues will still stand at the full rate. Gotta draw the line somewhere. ;)

15. wierdOne

wierdOne Tele-Holic

Sweet!!!!

Loud amp.. But great. I'm sure she'll treat you right... It'll be a loud right... But she''ll treat you right.

16. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

pick an amp

I always liked little amps. DR are about as perfect as you can get really. Blues Jrs are the future collectable amps. Little amps can sound big and small. Big amps don't sound great low and come into their own up loud.

That's what I thnk,

Gary

17. Big Lug

Big Lug Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Gotta love a Twin. However, unless you are playing in large venues and have a roadie...

You can squeeze some more clean headroom and volume out of a DR, or DRRI for that matter, by installing a ceramic Weber California. Not a twin of course, but it becomes a new kind of plank-spanking tone transmitter.

18. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

:lol:

You should see the price on the other side of the Atlantic ! More than twice this price :eek:
    That's insane, I'd better pay a little more and have real wood cabinet, point to point wiring and selected components !

19. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Twin hands down. Having owned a DRRI and played Twins at several gigs in the past I just love the Twin. It gets every sound and vibe and just rocks so good. Its got the best tone and vibe in my opinion of any Fender.

If I ever go Fender again that would be my choice. I guess it's only one drawback is it is a bit loud and poweful for around the house - but what great classic amp ain't? As for new amps my Bogner Shiva is 80 watts, but sounds real good at low volume too. Does it sound as good at low volume as high? No. But what tube amp does?

20. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Tele-Afflicted

Twin Reverb?

I had a blackface TR for 15 years, and the only time I could really use it was at outside venues. It sounded great there, but made no sense anywhere else. And then there was the fun of lifting it into the trunk and carrying it around....If you must, get a silverface.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.