1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Twin Reverb too uncontrolable for home use?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Duffy, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

I'm thinking of getting a Twin Reverb RI. Is it too much for home use, or can it be successfully turned down and tuned in for some decent low volume home practicing and occasionally cranking it up?

I have a Deluxe Reverb RI that is quite nice and can be used for home use but it is a lot less powerful.

Just wondering if a Twin Reverb could be cool to use at home, without being too loud.

I played one in a store a week or so ago and at low volume, but it was at the store and when you get them home sometimes the amp sounds a whole lot different if you know what I mean.

Feedback from those that use the Twin Reverb at home is appreciated. There is no substitute for experience. Feedback with those with actual experience is most appreciated, but any theoretical opinions are alright too.

2. cheeseman

cheeseman Tele-Meister

I say YES!

I have a '68 drip edge that I never turn above 3 and it sounds great. I put Jensens in it, caps and cleaned the pots and it is happy as can be at low volume. It takes pedals well and sounds incredible with nothing between it and my guitars but a cable. I say go for it!

3. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Back in college i had a 66 blackface twin , in the summer time when ever i forgot to close the window , the cops made a visit ...

I play it at around 4 ...

Mark

4. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I have never seen an amp that didn't have a volume switch. You would probably be using pedals anyway if you were going to get some overdrive or distortion even with a smaller amp. Simply adjust to the volume that suits you.

5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I can't tell you about the Twin RI, but the original BF Twin was a nice home practice amp, no issues at all.

6. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yo Duffy, IMO, you cannot go wrong with a twin. Mine is my reference I compare everything else to. Having said that, there is the notion that these tube monsters don't really hit the sweet spot until the volume knob hits 4 or 5, which is really loud for most neighborhoods. A Princeton or Super Champ may be more fun. What's wrong with the DR? A twin is like a DR, except bigger, louder, and heavier.

7. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

A Twin may have more power but volume wise they will turn down about the same as DR. I think the Twin isn't that much louder than the DR in normal use, in most gig situations the DR is plenty loud. I've owned both and prefer the DR since it's just about right size for most any gig and won't break your back or check book. For home use a Twin is almost too much amp.

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I had one for years as my only amp. It always sounded good no matter what level I had it set at.

9. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

I jam with a friend whose only amp is a blackface Twin and I play through a 5F1 tweed Champ. No problems. And his Twin sounds really good at low, "at home" volumes.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

10. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hard to say no to a classic amp design like that. A friend of mine has a pre-master volume SF Twin that never gets above 3 and uses a Fulltone 2 for dirt. It has Altecs in it and it is clean to the point of antiseptic.

Extra Credit: no one can ever tell you that you don't have "enough amp".
    Extra Debit: your budget should include $$ for a back brace and a hand truck.

11. cejay825

cejay825 Tele-Meister

Been Playing a Twin at home for years....sounds fine turned down low to me.

12. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

Great. Thanks.

The one I played at a store sounded good at low volume and that had me thinking that it might sound real good at home too.

I'm thinking about getting one and I have a Deluxe Reverb RI already. It is something I will have to think about. I liked the features on the Twin Reverb RI and the two twelves, but it is something I need to think about.

By the way, did you notice the new Re-issure Silver face amps; Deluxe Reverb RI and Twin Reverb RI as examples. Did you know one of the main differences is place of manufacture? The regular Twin Reverb RI's (usually black) are made in the USA and the Silverface Twin Reverb is made Mexico.

13. halouis

halouis Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I don't think "Twin Reverb" and "uncontrollable" have never been used in the same sentence before.

14. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Explains some of the reason their cheaper. Still not a bad amp if it's true to the SF versions. I haven't had the time to check one out but the '68 DR has reverb on both channels, something I don't think I'd want. And, it has a Celestion speaker, another strike against it.

15. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don't fear the Twin!

Somehow or another in recent years they've gotten a reputation for being an unmanageable beast. You'll read all sorts of silly stuff about nobody ever surviving the thing with the controls pegged. Most of us who grew up in the middle of the last century had no idea that a Twin would even function if it was turned down below 8! :D Of course those were also the days when we often had one amp and one guitar, so it was necessary to, if you'll forgive the nasty language, make do with what we had.

The Twin is the amp of choice if you want clean sound, and it sounds good turned down or turned up. Buy it, and enjoy it, they're a tremendously versatile amp.

16. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Just out of curiosity, if you're using it for home use. Isn't that a bit much?

17. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

I have a 69 Blackfaced Dual Showman reverb with a 4 x 12 cabinet with JBL E120's. I use it at home all the time.

As its been said. They don't really distort much anyway and if you want grit use a pedal. They also take pedals really well.

18. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

No, sounds great. A Twin sounds great clean with the volume set at 2 or 3. Some dirt? Add a good OD pedal and control gain and volume with the pedal's Volume/Level knob.

Don't expect natural overdrive at low or medium-high volumes without an OD pedal.

19. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don't expect natural overdrive from a Twin, period. ;)

20. slowlearner78

slowlearner78 Tele-Meister

Growing up one of my best friends had a non-master volume silverface twin and we used to play it at his folks place all the time. It'll work fine at home. That said, if I were looking at an amp just for home use, a twin would not be my first choice, but if you like it, go for it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.