Twin Reverb too clean. Looking for a something with similar volume but a little less clean

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gnd567, Jan 23, 2020.

1. KeepItSimpleTele

KeepItSimpleTele TDPRI Member

In the JTM45; Super Reverb, Bassman ballpark.

For a little bit dirty Traynor YSR-1.

For a little more dirty Traynor YRM-1.

For balls out dirty Traynor YBA-1

All with massive Hammond transformers and can get Fender Twin loud.

2. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Dude I really dont know how much background training or whatever youve had or degrees and stuff.....for what its worth I believe you regarding you obtaining them......

But one sure thing I know is common sense works....

And well my common sense is telling me what your saying are not the best suggestions.....whatever your background or degrees you have. Sorry thats my judgement.

Its 1...2....3....4 Much lesses....

Much less risky to simply change out tubes to higher gain factors like Sovtek LPS um Chinese Shuguang or Current Production Tungsol or NOS 12AX7 or what knot.

Much less risky to simply change out power tubes to a lower rating of break up using the intended tube compliment it was designed for.

Much less riskt to simply rebias the amp vs a full on Modifaction plus Mickey Mousery you have suggested.

Much less risky to get lower rated sensitivity speakers again vs full on Modification and Mickey Mousery.......

I am frankly surprised and shocked(excuse the pun) my self that this level of.......knowledge.....how ever you choose to see it or describe it has gone on here this long in the thread and in the forum I suspect......I mean if your down go for it yeah...but dont be surprised if your amp has problems down the road as a result of Mickey Mousery......

All I will say is common sense wins here. Im not an expert but what your suggesting goes far beyond a safe mismatch or simply removing tubes.....regarding my common sense I would never suggest anyone do what you suggested.

And IMO common sense tells me your not offering the best suggestions. Anyone could choose to see it anyway they want but I will say for me its not common sense to do what you suggested.

And well thats about it.

If others care to come and back you up sure gopher it but thats my analysis of the whole thing.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  3. Johnnypops

Johnnypops TDPRI Member

Well my 2-C for what it’s worth I’ve had a silver face and a pair of hot rods and just never got on with them as I found them sterile
    I’ve settled on a Marshall DSL and a vox hw-ac30 the Marshall is my go to every day of the week as it’s still able to be cleanish but is way warmer and fatter than any fender
    My vox is another fish altogether as I really only run topboost but is got that sound you just can’t get anywhere else
    That said I’ve got a $2000 amp and what I’m playing most is my VoxMV50 AC into a deluxe cabinet and absolutely loving it
    Probably wouldn’t keep up with a twin on 4-6 though as I never cracked mine above 3 and it was still deafening

Tim S and The-Kid like this.
  4. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Dude. The point was that you slag an opinion (actually multiple as the pulling two tubes was mentioned first by muchxs) as "Mickey Mouse" a number of times without any knowledge. Common sense can only tell you what you can comprehend. The trouble the OP was having was too much volume to get to a happy place. Turn down the volume and down goes the overdrive goodness. A higher gain tube in the first position can give some dirt if you hit the input harder, the Twin not being a master volume amp (at least this one) higher gain after the volume control only changes the number on the dial for a given loudness. Pulling a set of tubes and cutting out one speaker has been done since before you were born. Google is your friend, sometimes it is useful to use it. The NFB switch, hardly full on modification, one wire. And this gives a dirtier amp at volume (whether it is enough depends on the OP), flick the switch and the circuit operates as previously.

You are not an expert. Three on this forum weighed in here, (two seemed to have left the thread). We gave options, each one as valid as the other. It is up to the OP to weigh them and compare them to what he wants. If he picks any mentioned here and if they do not work he can try another from the list. I felt these options are better than selling the amp and buying a different one. But I did not call down the posters that offered their opinion. Theirs were valid, I just did not think it necessary considering the OP likes his amp. Obviously your common sense does not go so far as giving others the common courtesy.

5. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

If a pedal is absolutely out of the question, I'd look at preamp tubes. You can change all the preamp tubes to 12AX7 and that will increase the gain/decrease the amount of clean headroom.

6. CheesyCucumber

CheesyCucumber TDPRI Member

The suggestion of pulling a pair of tubes and 1 speaker is a good one for reducing output power and volume on a twin. It will not lead to an impedance mismatch or cause whatever havoc you imagine it might. So I'll back printer2 et al. on it.

I won't deign to respond to the rest of your post. :lol:

BobbyZ and RomanS like this.
  7. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

I gig through a 72 Twin with JBLs. I've spent the last couple of years going through low gain OD pedals to make it feel more pushed without turning it up to 7. The Lightspeed OD is awesome for this. I run mine with gain at about 10'oclock, and boost at about 3 oclock to slam the front end a little more. Makes my Twin sound kind of like a pushed Pro Reverb.

Gain Changer is also great, as is the Lovepedal Amp 11, I also like the Mojohand Rook. Klons don't do it for me but have been said to work well with Twins. I always go back to the Lightspeed. One of the few pedals that has lived up to the forum hype.

8. dodona

dodona TDPRI Member

get a Marshall 1959 super lead

9. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

Timmy OD. It won’t compromise your tone at all. Set your total volume, and the amount of hair you want (from the pedal). Simply roll back your volume knob to clean things up. No need to ever turn the pedal off.

It’s just like having an extra gear in your amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.