Twin Reverb too clean. Looking for a something with similar volume but a little less clean

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gnd567, Jan 23, 2020.

1. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

My first thought was switch to 5881 tubes or 6L6WGCs and try a 12ax7 in the phase inverter.

You can also increase mids in the tonestack by changing a cap value and changing the 10k mid pot to a 25k pot. A lot of the gain and hair comes from the mids.

The-Kid likes this.
  2. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Anyone mentioned inefficient speakers yet?

Get a pair of Scumback M-75's. I've had a pair of those and man it makes a pretty big difference in overall volume/headroom before breakup. They're billed as "British" but sound nothing like a new celestion and they're warm as heck out of the box. Very good match for blackface Fenders.

I wouldn't consider that a mod, either. And if you don't like it they have great resale value. I can say my old '67 Twin Reverb definitely had some grit around 5-7 and that was with 60's JBL speakers.

kookaburra, BobbyZ and The-Kid like this.
  3. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Find a BF or SF Bassman head. No verb, but the Bassman has the big ot, and as stated earlier you could use your Twins speakers. I don’t know if a Bandmaster or Pro reverb would keep up very well against another Twin from my experience with them. Bassman heads can be found priced pretty reasonably these days.

4. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I love Orange amps, too. Definitely worth a look IMO. I disagree with Bandmaster suggestion because I think the way they break up is not nearly as nice as the other amps mentioned. YMMV but I sold a really nice Bandmaster head for that reason. Nice but not great to my ears.

5. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

I mean all this on scumbacks and higher gain preamps and low break up power tubes.

6. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

I like that the OP isn't using pedals, even though I do, so I wouldn't recommend messing up that mojo.

2 twins in the band seems a bit redundant though.

The AC30 idea is interesting. If I were in a loud band, that would be a frontrunner for sure.

Doesn't sound like a Marshall kind of band.

Hmmm. Would a Blues deluxe work? Nice and thick fender tones. Might be a gateway into pedals too. Hey, you're a lead guitarist! Get a damn delay at least!!

7. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

I think I want that on a tee shirt. :)

Pax/
    Dean

kookaburra likes this.
  8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Pull one tube from each side, and disconnect one speaker.

You now have the biggest and heaviest 50 watt combo in existence. Will not halve volume but drop headroom.

nomadh likes this.
  9. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Funny thing is a Twin can be easily modified to dial in two channels of dirt. That means start with your stock Twi tone that's too clean, dial up Dirt One or Dirt Two depending on which channel you want dirty and even better, you can dial your dirt out with the volume knob on your guitar. Simple.

I don't think late '70s ultralinear Twins are as well suited to dirt at earlier versions.

Pulling a couple tubes allows you to turn it up a bit.

CheesyCucumber, zcostilla and Wally like this.
  10. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

I definitely second an older Bassman head, more ballz than a Bandmaster. It will keep up with that Twin.

11. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

The AC30 is a bit of an odd suggestion for a 'less clean Twin Reverb' tone. I have both a Twin and a Hayseed 30 (an AC30 clone) and the starting point for base clean tones are quite different in my opinion. Honestly, I think a JTM45 has a much closer cleanish tone to a Twin than an AC30.

Now, all that said, in the context of the band the OP describes and in the context of the rhythm guitarist already playing a Twin, I love the idea of the lead guitarist playing an AC30. As others have said, don't let the 30 watt rating scare you off, that 30 watts will cut through a mix like a madman with a machete. And with appropriate ear protection in place, an AC30 + Twin combination is the sound of Gods not men.

. . . but maybe still try an OD pedal first!

RomanS likes this.
  12. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Stuff a pair of Mavericks in the TR, turn them down and the amp up. That is, if you like what the TR does at louder settings of course.
    A pedal or two is probably the easiest solution and that's coming from a guy that doesn't like to use pedals!

13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Joyo American Sound pedal. You can also use it to go direct to a PA and not carry an amp. $30. It's a clone of the Tech21 Blond pedal.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  14. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

Not part of your question, but I hope you wear hearing protection. I guarantee a twin run that loud will cause tinnitus and hearing loss; ask me how I know, but ask loudly and clearly.

15. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

I have ringing in my ears 24/7. Sounds like an old dial tone on a telephone. I guarantee you wont like it. No cure either.

16. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

So do many people who spent their life working in a quiet office. Then, there's lots of guys who spend their whole career in front of stacks of 4x12's that have average hearing for their age.

Every person is different. I know I'm sensitive as I can feel my ears get to hurting pretty quickly if things get a bit loud so precautions are taken.

17. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

A local rockabilly guy out here plays his Gretsch thru a BF Pro Reverb with Greenbacks and a delay pedal. It's got grit that sounds good!

18. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

the great thing about pedals is that they're smaller and easier to swap out than a whole amp. if you're not feeling one, put it away for a while and try another one. a drawer full of pedals is the same as a room full of amps. i don't have a room to spare.

19. gnd567

gnd567 Tele-Meister

Thanks again for all the suggestions, everyone.

I have used various amps with this band: Orange Tiny Terror, Orange Dual Terror, Orange OR-15, Fender Blues Jr, Blues Deluxe, Hot Rod Deluxe, Hot Rod DeVille, Fender PA100 and two Twins.

I think I may try pulling pulling two tubes and disconnecting one speaker and see how I like it.
    Oh and by the way, I do wear hearing protection.

Rockinvet and kookaburra like this.
  20. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Had to reread the OP.
    Between 4 and 6 on the volume?
    I've got two Twin Reverbs a 1965 and a 1976.
    I also work on amps and that has me wondering two things.
    Either you boys play some big loud shows.
    Or the amps need work.
    In this case it sounds like you all do some big shows.
    I wish I could use my TRs like that with a band but around here I can hardly get a Princeton turned up between 4 and 6.
    I need to move!

Try a Super Reverb, the one my feet are on now is a 66 that set me back 800 bucks plus parts for a badly need servicing and fixing the last guy's mess. The seller played it on 7 all the time. Now that it runs on two 6L6s again he'd pee his paints if he tried it on 7. :)

Tim S and LuthRavin like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.