Twin Reverb too clean. Looking for a something with similar volume but a little less clean

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gnd567, Jan 23, 2020.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Since you really love your Twin's tones, and its speakers are doubtless a big part of that, to keep using those speakers but add the classic Fender breakup you want, why not a vintage Bandmaster Reverb or non-reverb Bandmaster? Put it atop your Twin and run it through your Twin's speakers. You won't have quite as much volume, but the Bandmaster's breakup is glorious. And being a head, it gives you all the speaker/cab options you want, assuming your impedences are friendly.

g-Paul likes this.
  2. gnd567

gnd567 Tele-Meister

That may not be a bad idea. I had a chance to buy a Bandmaster Reverb a while ago and passed on it without even trying it. Maybe I should look into them.
    Does the Bandmaster Reverb sound much different than a Bandmaster? I don't need reverb as I'm using an outboard reverb unit but if the BR sounds better than maybe that's the way to go?

3. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

If you do try an AC30 (and I really suggest you do). They can sound terrible, fizzy, too bright, no bass etc. alone, dont be disheartened. They sit and cut through in a mix REALLY well.

The tone knob is a CUT not a turn for more.....the eq and setup can be a bit counter intuitive so dont get put off, get some time to play around with them, they are great amps.

A lot of people never give them a chance becasue they dont have a standard tone stack and require more time to figure out how the actually do sound good.

I would also suggest trying a simple Tubescreamer. It often has the perfect eq to also sit you out in the mix....same again won't sound like what your used to by itself but should get sitting pretty nicely in the mix with the band......a good cheap test anyway.

Milspec likes this.
  4. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There have been a lot of AC30s over the years, but pretty much all of them other than the 1980s ones are good if they're in good shape. For what you want, get one with a master volume, to be able to pick the level of breakup at any given volume. In an AC30 you'll want the Celestion Blue speakers, which are the classic Vox tone, and much louder than other speakers. Matchless and Bad Cat have similar circuits with a bit more modern/tighter sound.

5. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

I have a different suggestion. Buy another Twin and run them in stereo with a pedal for some grit. Problem solved!

6. NBS2005

NBS2005 TDPRI Member

If you get an AC30 and run it in stereo with the Twin that will set you up nicely for your next hobby; powerlifting.

ricknbaker, Milspec and Rockinvet like this.
  7. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

AC30 with good speakers (Greenbacks maybe) would be the perfect match through an A/B/Y pedal so you can switch for contrast or together for a really big full sound.

8. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

The much maligned Vox Wharfedale is not as bad as people go on about.

Sure a blue is supposed to be "The Sound" but a greenback is a nice match too, the C2 versions mostly came with a greenback. The CC series (also much maligned, wrongly) came with Wharfedale or Blue.

I back to backed the Blue with the Wharfedale and with a slight tone adjustment on the amp they were damn near identical. I sold the blue setup the next day of the test, was worth more and I couldn't in real life justify the cost difference with the negligible tone difference.

jwp2 likes this.
  9. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

Just add hearing protection!

Lawdawg and NBS2005 like this.
  10. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

I tend to march to the beat of a different drummer, so as yet another possibility you could check out the Orange Amplification line-up.

I love Orange amps. They’re very well built as well as nice and edgy. But they also clean up to as clean as I ever need. My Telecaster sounds nice through mine. And if you want even more growl, run a Fulltone OCD pedal with it.

Rockinvet likes this.
  11. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I don't have enough experience to answer you more than sorta. Mine is a '73 TFL5005D, which was the standard/common type in the early and mid-'70s.

I've never played a non-reverb Bandmaster of this particular or any prior circuit, so others would have to chime in about that. Generally, though, you could just ignore its onboard reverb since you're happy with your outboard unit.

As far as I can tell from what I read, hear from other players, see online, etc., the main difference would be if you've got a blackface or a silverface Bandmaster of either the reverb/non-reverb sort. Since I love both blackface and silverface tones, I'm no help here. But, to me, the BMR sounds very much like a clean Twin with a bit more inherent warmth/mids, differing from a Twin mostly in how nicely it breaks up. Some players find it anemic compared a Twin, since its transformer is relatively small. But for your purposes, that overwhelmable transformer would be a plus.

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Okay...no mods. The best pedals I have played through are wall-powered tube preamp pedals. Ommv.....obviously. I do have a mid-‘70’s Big Muff that is a great solid state pedal with a history of great guitarists playing through such things.
    I guess I should try it more often. good luck with it. Fwiw, all of the mods I use are totally reversible. These big
    Fender are not going up in value no matter who owned them, ime. If one has what it takes to carry one, two different channels makes it worthwhile,imho. I like more performance per pound when I carry weight.

13. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Meister

From what you've said, you need a Fender Prosonic. Out of production, but available 2nd hand.

I have one, it does what you want.

Wally likes this.
  14. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Kinda hard on the tubes but you could adjust the bias to run a little hotter..Earlier break up..

15. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Hotter bias will give more headroom, and depending on where the bias is now, maybe shorter tube life.

I like schmee's recommendation earlier in the thread of dropping two power tubes. Remove two output tubes and rebias (maybe colder per tube for the pair than per tube for the current quad), remove either the normal or vibrato preamp tube (depending on which channel you use), see if that does it for you. That should add a little breakup at the same volume that you're used to. It doesn't cost anything to give this a try. If you want more breakup, try a boost in front. I'm not big on dirt pedals myself, but I recently picked up an inexpensive OCD clone made by Caline, and I like it as a clean boost, as a pretty natural overdrive, or a mix of the two.

16. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a Pro Sonic as well....great amp, imho. However, it is rooted in the 5F6A Bassman world and no matter what one does it cannot quite do the BF/SF thing. A modded BF/SF two channel reverb amp can go toward that type of sound...the sound of a big tweed....while retaining the AB763 type of preamp as well.
    A Super Champ does it all, too.....only 24 pounds. But it is not big enough for the OP’s purposes. I have a 1980 Md. 75 that has two very small changes...two resistors....that make it a great amp. 57 pounds of BF, tweed and high gain reverb amp...handwired. Switches from 75 to 15 watts.

17. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Keep the amp use tubes that will break up earlier

100% 12AX7s like Sovtek LPs or Tungsol.

Low rated distortion tubes from Viva Tube, Dougs tubes or GT.

This or trade in for a Vibrolux Reissue. These can be had for a song for what they do and cost used.

18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My 2 cents ......think Marshall JCM 800

Rockinvet likes this.
  19. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

This is my experience with AC30, enough to really hate them the first few tries.. It took time to dial in, and I was still tweaking during the gig, which in turn made the whole gig a stressful one for me..

Normal Channel, High, top boost, Ive plugged into every input and I still couldnt dial them properly and I really want to pull my hair out.. it just sounded too chimey.. I mean I was using a 62, then switch to another tele with 64 pickups, and its as if Im all treble! rendering my pedals useless..

Until I dimed that tone cut knob.. but then again, its just a bit hard for me to dial in.. Yes, user error, but I can dial in the tone I want from Ampegs, Fenders, and even solid state peaveys... and also I had a Vox Pathfinder 15R which set the standard for me for Vox clean tones, but when I plugged into an AC30, it was a disaster for me..

maybe I'll give them another try and really dial it in..

20. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Put an e.q. pedal with a flat-e.q. gain control in front of it. You won't really get more volume. You'll just get a more compressed attack, saturating the pre-amp more. Plus you can control the character of it with the e.q. controls (very useful/important).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.