Twin Reverb too clean. Looking for a something with similar volume but a little less clean

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gnd567, Jan 23, 2020.

1. gnd567

gnd567 Tele-Meister

I'm the lead guitarist in my band. We play a mix of rockabilly, rock & roll, surf, swing, blues & country.
    Our band is a bit loud. Our rhythm guitarist plays with a clean tone and no effects through a Twin Reverb set somewhere between 4 and 6 on the volume. To keep up with him, I also started using an old silverface Twin Reverb. The rest of my rig consists of an EP-3 Echoplex and a Fender Reverb Unit. I like the way the rig sounds on the surf instrumentals, the country stuff and some of the early rockabilly stuff but I'd like to be able to get a little bit more grit, compression etc. I like that it's clean but I'd like a little more grind to it sometimes. I don't want to resort to using a pedal and the Echoplex is actually pretty clean sounding so I'm thinking I need to find a new amp.

I need something that will keep up with rhythm guitarist. We don't use monitors very often and we generally play pretty much like the bands did in the 50s and 60s so I need something with enough volume, can still get a good clean tone but have a little more hair on it than a Twin. I like clean tone but with a touch of hair. A Super Reverb or a Vibrolux Reverb perhaps? Baseman? I'd prefer something without a master volume as I've never really cared for that sound but all suggestions are welcome.

2. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

Easy answer would be a Klon type pedal. Twin is such a great amp, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater!!

Another option would be swapping tubes for something a little hairier.

PingGuo, stnmtthw, Gardo and 4 others like this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That amp can be modded to have two very different ch. One channel can have more ‘grit’ while the other stays as it is. Use an A/B pedal and you have a nice channel switching amp. Then, you can run whatever effects either through both channels or set up each channel with effects that you want only in that channel.

PingGuo, RadioFM74, muchxs and 3 others like this.
  4. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Similar volume to a SF Twin but a little less clean =

1) Blackface Twin;
    2) Super Reverb; or
    3) SF Twin with Boost/OD pedal.

#3 is least expensive and most practical, without giving up that gorgeous silverface clean, but involves the whole wormhole of OD/Boost pedals.

PingGuo, kookaburra and Skydog1010 like this.
  5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

this became my twin answer..normal modded up to break a lil earlier..trem side stock...speakers.Weber f150 really make this an amp that can do a lot & at the right volume for stage & studio work 73pro (2).jpg 73pro2 (3).jpg

6. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

CMATMODS Butah low-gain overdrive. S'posed to be a Bluesbreaker variant. Whatever it is, it sounds great in front of blackface amps. Doesn't matter how loud you play, it's great. Used it for years, at loud gigs and at home. You can get low-gain edge-of-breakup to Tubescreamer amounts of gain. Maybe not enough sheer volume for slammin' clean boost, but it also doesn't dial in too quickly like too many loud clean boost pedals do.

7. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

just get a pedal and be glad you'll always have some extra clean power in reserve.

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Super Reverb.
    Pro Reverb.
    Never been a better time to buy a SR.

moosie and VWAmTele like this.
  9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Pro Reverb I would say. Have you tried diming the Bass? Not sure about on a Twin though, but smaller amps, after about 5 it just adds grit.
    Another option is turn the Twin way up and use a volume pedal. Although Volume pedals can add too much dirt for me.
    But yeah, add a pedal for leads.
    Pull two power tubes and try it sometime?
    The Normal Channel on most Fenders is thicker and bit grittier....

10. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This and your set. A Greer Lightspeed OD pedal.

Mild overdrive that does not color your amps’ tone.

Ian T, richiek65 and Milspec like this.
  11. gnd567

gnd567 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone.

I don't want to mod this amp as it once belonged to the great steel guitarist Pete Drake.
    The amp sounds great and I'm not going to get rid of it. As much I don't want to, I think I may have to end up going with either a Klon pedal or Lightspeed or similar, unless I find a Pro Reverb I can try out.

12. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Yep, a pedal will let you hold onto your big clean tone but add some grit when you want it. But the first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title was an AC30. Can keep up with a Twin for volume, never quite exactly clean but cuts through a mix like nothing else. If you know anybody who's got one, check it out in a band situation, where it really comes into its own.

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

OD pedal is a mighty simple fix--reversible, too!

14. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Beat me to it, the OP pretty much described an AC30. A counter-intuitive choice would be a JTM-45 though- in spite of being Marshalls, they actually have quite a bit of clean headroom.

PingGuo, Jakedog, Lawdawg and 2 others like this.
  15. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Your OP is leaning against pedals but it sure would be the cheapest and fastest solution.

Otherwise I would think a Mesa Boogie would also be a good option. Their gain staging and controls give you a full range from Fender-y clean up to full on crunch with
    all points in between. But many Mesas are designed to still give you something very close to classic Fender clean.

"A bit loud" is a bit of an understatement, me thinks. Two guitars playing at volumes equivalent to 4-6 on a Fender Twin Reverb? We could never get away with that
    at any of the venues we play these days. We did one outdoor festival where in theory you might do it, but I don't think the stage manager or even our band members
    would go for it anymore. We'd rather play at lower volumes and not have to wear ear plugs or pummel the people up front. I could see it if you're in a thrash or punk band,
    though. The kids still like it loud.

One other option would be to just add a second, dirtier amp. You could run both amps together and have a nice clean foundation with the hair added by the second amp.
    Second advantage of that approach is if one amp craps out on stage the other one is already plugged in and running and so you get by with one amp for the rest of the gig.

maxvintage likes this.
  16. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

Super Reverb

Skydog1010 likes this.
  17. gnd567

gnd567 Tele-Meister

Never thought about an AC30 until now. That could work. I may have to borrow one from my buddy and see how it works out. He has two of them. I've never played a JTM45 before.

Skydog1010 and dan1952 like this.
  18. gnd567

gnd567 Tele-Meister

I thought about Mesa as well. I haven't played many of them before but they do have a somewhat Fender-y clean.

Yeah, I don't know how we get away with it but we do. Sometimes we've been asked to turn down during soundcheck but since I know the other guitarist is going to turn his amp back up before the show starts, I do the same. Crazy as it seems, we've never been asked to turn down during the gig! The sound guys always are very pleased with our sound. Maybe we have good dynamics, I don't know.

19. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Vox AC30 or Matchless DC30 or Bad Cat Black Cat 30 would all work great for this.

20. gnd567

gnd567 Tele-Meister

I don't know a whole lot about AC30s but haven't there been a bunch of versions over the years? Some being better than others?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.