Twin Reverb Questions.

FelipeHernAmp

NEW MEMBER!
1.165 / 5.000
Hi, I'm here to ask for your guidance please.

I'm making the transition from digital to analog and am very focused on buying a tube amp, mainly because I've been told it feels warmer and more dynamic than transistors.

I'm a big fan of a Japanese band called Ling tosite sigure and the guitarist is known for using a Fender Twin Reverb in conjunction with his pedalboard to achieve a crystal clear, defined, clear, crisp and distorted tone.

My problem is that I need an amp to rehearse in a relatively small venue and play medium venues. So I've read that the Fender Twin Reverb is incredibly loud even when set to 1-2 (I don't know about this, but I was thinking of leaving it at 3).

An important fact is that I'm not looking to saturate the tubes, I just want that dynamic and harmonically rich tone of the Twin reverb to accompany it with my telecaster and my pedalboard that has everything I need in terms of overdrives, distortions and modulations.
The truth is that I am very obsessed with the twin reverb but I am concerned about that issue and that there are other options.

I attach a video of the guitarist I mention:

Wildeman

Tele-Afflicted
A Twin "can" be incredibly loud, it has a volume knob and sounds awesome at any volume actually. The Twin makes a great low volume amp imo, it fills the room with a very thick, three dimensional sound, unlike a boxy, directional little amp.
Go get one, you will not be disappointed 😉

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
Welcome!

You'll be told a lot of things by people who've done nothing other than read stuff on the web. I own a Twin now, and have owned others over the course of 40 years. I can tell you from experience that it's the most versatile amp out there. The volume control on these amps really works. They work fine, and sound good at low volumes. The sound you describe is exactly what these amps are known for, clean, clean, clean. Put effects in front of a Twin and you hear the effect, not a mashup of efx plus amp character. There's a reason why you see so many threads searching for amps that play well with pedals, many don't, the Twin is about as transparent as they get.

Vibroluxer

Friend of Leo's
Welcome 😄🤗!

I went from a Crate when they were still made in orange crates to a non master Twin.

Everybody should own a Twin at least once. You'll understand everything once you here the bloom from an open chord.

Rest assured you are destined to annoy someone with it.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
1.165 / 5.000
Hi, I'm here to ask for your guidance please.

I'm making the transition from digital to analog and am very focused on buying a tube amp, mainly because I've been told it feels warmer and more dynamic than transistors.

I'm a big fan of a Japanese band called Ling tosite sigure and the guitarist is known for using a Fender Twin Reverb in conjunction with his pedalboard to achieve a crystal clear, defined, clear, crisp and distorted tone.

My problem is that I need an amp to rehearse in a relatively small venue and play medium venues. So I've read that the Fender Twin Reverb is incredibly loud even when set to 1-2 (I don't know about this, but I was thinking of leaving it at 3).

An important fact is that I'm not looking to saturate the tubes, I just want that dynamic and harmonically rich tone of the Twin reverb to accompany it with my telecaster and my pedalboard that has everything I need in terms of overdrives, distortions and modulations.
The truth is that I am very obsessed with the twin reverb but I am concerned about that issue and that there are other options.

I attach a video of the guitarist I mention:

Personally I feel a Twin in small venues is, yes, too loud and sounds sterile like a SS amp. I know other's here disagree, but there it is. Great tone is available in the smaller amps like the nearly identical, except in power and weight, Pro Reverb. Or Vibrolux or others.
Just my personal experience and I have had a few Twins.

alexamadrid

TDPRI Member
1665950057172.png

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Personally I feel a Twin in small venues is, yes, too loud and sounds sterile like a SS amp. I know other's here disagree, but there it is. Great tone is available in the smaller amps like the nearly identical, except in power and weight, Pro Reverb. Or Vibrolux or others.
Just my personal experience and I have had a few Twins.

I concur. A twin below 2.5
Or 3 doesn't get into mega twin-ness tones. And that's fairly loud.

King-of-Tone

TDPRI Member
I love the room filling sound of a twin, the only reason I currently don't own one is I'm always playing through my silver face Pro Reverb. If you're worried the Twin will be too loud might want to check one out. It's less volume, just don't expect it to be half the volume. Same beautiful crystal clear cleans.

Linkslover

Tele-Meister
If you're concerned about the Twin volume being too loud, I'd suggest you check out it's "little brothers" the Deluxe Reverb and the Princeton Reverb.

Both have similar clarity of tone and work really well with pedals.

The Deluxe is 22 watts and the Princeton is 15 watts.

stnmtthw

Friend of Leo's
Use input jack 2. It is several decibels quieter and bleeds off some of the high end, which makes the amp way more usable at low volumes. I love mine- it's the best bedroom amp I've ever had.

One suggestion I do have is, if you are going to be moving it around, put it on wheels. It's freaking heavy. Or, as someone else suggested on here, look for a Tonemaster.

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
the only negative to a twin reverb is moving them. They are heavy. I am in the camp that says they sound great at all volumes. If I played out a lot I would get a deluxe reverb though just for ease of carrying it

Radspin

Friend of Leo's
I‘ve owned a Twin and have owned a Dual Showman Reverb head with a 2-12 bottom for decades. They sound fine at low volumes and as stnmtthw noted, the second input cuts the volume and makes setting the volume more controllable at lower volumes. To me, and for others, it’s the ultimate clean sound, a classic that has never been equaled. Want overdrive? Use it with a good overdrive pedal.

There are a number of variations...blackface, silverface, ultralinear, reissue, and probably hundreds of threads discussing the differences.

My advice: if you want one, get one!

ETMusic777

Tele-Meister
If you can afford it, look in to getting a Fryette Attenuator, as its the only "attenuator" which really does not affect the tone, as far as I have heard. Its really a reamp device with selectable impedence matching, effects loop, line out and can act as its own power amp in a pinch when you need it. There are 2 models, single channel and the PS100 which I have which is multiple channel. It gives you the ability to really drive your Twin at an acceptable room volume. Tim Pierce and Pete Thorn have reviews on YT.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
I love the room filling sound of a twin, the only reason I currently don't own one is I'm always playing through my silver face Pro Reverb. If you're worried the Twin will be too loud might want to check one out. It's less volume, just don't expect it to be half the volume. Same beautiful crystal clear cleans.
Pro Reverbs are also just about as heavy as a Twin.

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
If you can afford it, look in to getting a Fryette Attenuator, as its the only "attenuator" which really does not affect the tone, as far as I have heard. Its really a reamp device with selectable impedence matching, effects loop, line out and can act as its own power amp in a pinch when you need it. There are 2 models, single channel and the PS100 which I have which is multiple channel. It gives you the ability to really drive your Twin at an acceptable room volume. Tim Pierce and Pete Thorn have reviews on YT.
Can you tell me how that works (connection wise)? Aren't they hard on the power tubes?

scelestus

Tele-Afflicted
Can you tell me how that works (connection wise)? Aren't they hard on the power tubes?
The attenuator itself isn't hard on tubes, but tubes in a lot of amps wear faster when the amps are always cranked up. If you're using the attenuator with a constantly cranked amp, that is what will wear tubes.