1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Twin reverb loud hum when volume at 0.

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by BlacknWhite, Nov 28, 2020.

1. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite TDPRI Member

Hey guy's. Recently picked up a 1975 Fender twin reverb. Guitar signal sounds great through it but it has a strong hum. Mostly at zero or max volume. Has a sweet spot at 3.5 where it sounds amazing. I've re capped all the electrolytics and coupling caps. Touched up solders and swapped tubes like mad. I have VI pulled as I never use the 1st channel. Loud hum at zero volume. Any ideas? All plate and bypass resistors replaced as well.

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Bad solder joint in the doghouse. Did you clean up behind the controls earthing plate? All knobs right? MV model, right?

3. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Check all of the solder joints carefully along the brass strip under the pots. That's notorious for what you're experiencing.

4. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite TDPRI Member

I've checked and re flowed most solder joints. Cleaned all the pots. It was a master volume which I removed. Sound is still the same even after I removed the master. The control plate looked pretty Clean. I'll pull the pots and try and clean it up a bit.

5. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite TDPRI Member

They all look good. I reflowed one of the. But no change.

6. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

Does that zero have a 1 in front of it?

Asmith likes this.
  7. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

IMHO, loud hum - I think about :

- a problem in the PSU.
    - a problem in the Phase Inverter or Output Stage.

---> Check all plate voltages and bias voltages with a DMM. Tolerance = +/-10%. It may help you to locate the issue.

Be careful and ready to turn off : your amp may be in danger... ;)

-tbln.

BlacknWhite likes this.
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

pull the tubes one by one , clean the contacts on each tube with DeOxit and a Q tip reseat the tube rince and repeat for each tube one at a time see if that might help to clear it up , take a chopstick tap on the tubes to see if a tube is the culprit ,( microphoning) if no tap, on the components is side to see if something comes to light (one hand rule always)

before you go balls deep into rewiring

Wulf likes this.
  9. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite TDPRI Member

I was just checking the wiring at the PI. I pulled the pre amp tubes no change. Pulled the PI and it was dead quiet. Still white noise but dead quiet. This is the first twin I've had to work on. I can't see any issues around the PI though every thing looks good. Haven't found any wonky voltages yet.

10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Try putting another tube in the PI position. Any tube will do, the tube you pulled from the normal channel. All you're doing is seeing if the tube's gone bad.

11. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite TDPRI Member

I've tried a bunch of tubes from my stash and same with each one unfortunately

12. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Are all of your jacks and pots down tight? Nothing loose?

13. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Bad pot...what brand did you use, seen some cheaper ones do that very thing new out of the box

mojek likes this.
  14. mojek

mojek Tele-Meister

Agree. Had this issue with 77 AC30. It’s bad volume pot. Tha shaft works, but at 0 position it’s lifted and not grounded as it should be. Chamged the 1M/A pot and works perfectly now.

ThermionicScott and Milspec like this.
  15. smuc

smuc TDPRI Member

Since the twin has two channels, I would doubt that both of the pots are bad... Generally, @BlacknWhite please give a bit more clarity of how the hum behaves. Is it consistent or random? How does it change with volume or other controls? Is the reverb on or not? Does it start immediately or when the amp gets warm...

And another stupid question - is your amp earthed? Have you tried plugging it into an another outlet?

Asmith and tubelectron like this.
  16. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I've seen this as an issue before, if you're using an isolation transformer (maybe some variacs) then it may be something you've over looked.

17. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite TDPRI Member

OK sorry guys I'll be a little more descriptive. Last night my brain was fried after a day of trouble shooting haha. The hum is kinda more of a buzz/hum. Almost like a bad ground but I've yet to find one bad ground. Also when you move the volume pots on either channel near the middle position the amp goes dead quiet and it sounds great. I've tried multiple outlets around my house. I've currently got it on my bench with the reverb tank hooked up but off. I pulled V1, V2 and V3 with no change in hum/buzz. When I pull V4 hum disappears. Haven't found anything yet though. As I said before I replaced all caps and out of spec resistors. Touched up all solders and grounds. Here's a video of me sweeping the volume pot. The initial hum is at 0 or 1 haha and that's what you hear until you pull V4.

18. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Did it hum before you modded the MV? The MV was stock when you got it? That can at least narrow it down to driver error ;)

19. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite TDPRI Member

Yeah the hum was there before I removed the master. This one is driving me insane lol. I don't get a chance to work on many Fender amps because there don't seem to be many of them around this area. That's why I grabbed this one up. The few I have worked on were all head scratchers though haha.

20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The hum does not go away when you pull V2, which is the input gain stage for the Vib ch. When you pull V4, which has one triode as the reverb return and one triode as a gain stage in the Vib ch, the hum goes away. Good info. So, when V4 is out of the circuit, does the Normal channel operate with no buzz? If so, then you can isolate your search to that V4 tube and the associated circuitry and components.

24 track and Andy B like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.