1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Twin Reverb for a Fender SS bass amp!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by morgansofas, Aug 25, 2016.

1. morgansofas

morgansofas Tele-Meister

I have a 1971 non-master volume Twin Reverb, beautiful condition, play great. Not even that heavy, as it has stock Utah speakers. Trouble is, I rarely use it, so I have bought a Fender Rumble 500 bass amp, as a 'cover all' amp. Did an AB test with a USA Tele.
    Result- of course the Twin sounded better! But...the bass amp wasn't bad either. I need the amp for live work which will go through a PA, when using guitar. By the time a Twin goes through a desk and PA speakers, and is mixed with band sounds, who honestly is going to be able to differentiate and really know the difference? I now have a classic looking Fender amp, with XLR out, that I can use with my 5 string bass too, and it more portable. Ha, I dare to be different! I've owned and used a lot of amps, and I love Fender hand wired amps, but come on SS users, use your amps with pride! So the Twin is advertised. I may regret it, we'll see.

2. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

My buddy has one of these, and it's a spectacular bass amp, and pedal platform for guitar.

I personally would rather have the tube preamp based hybrid version, which looks like a classic fender head. That's just me though. It wouldn't be nearly as light of a rig once you add in a separate 2x10 cab.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1472158757.074237.jpg

The Fender Bassman 500

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Enjoy your new Rumble! But comparing it to a twin is apples and oranges. Bass players aren't as wedded to tubes as guitar players are.

4. morgansofas

morgansofas Tele-Meister

The Rumble is a great bass amp, and looks fab! A Twin is for cleans, and the bass amp does it in bucket loads. The 2x10 speakers sound so deep with my Tele in drop D. Maybe I'm in denial about advertising my Twin for sale?

5. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Nice that you're enjoying your Bass amp. Regarding miking a Twin Reverb, consider this ... when you sing through a mic, unless the PA is pure crap and completely maladjusted, your voice sounds exactly like your voice, only louder. Mic a guitar amp properly, and you get the same thing: the exact sound of your guitar amp, only louder. A balanced line out does not sound like a combo amp miked, it sounds like an instrument with some rudimentary EQ applied.

Who can tell the difference? Could an audience member tell your voice from some other singers voice on a stage? That's all the skill it takes to recognize the sound of a miked amp vs the sound of a guitar through a preamp into a PA. I don't think listeners are quite as inept as a lot of players would like to believe. They don't know the gear-head buzz-words, but I bet they know good tone when they hear it.

6. morgansofas

morgansofas Tele-Meister

Hmm, I'm not convinced that PA speakers replicate exactly what comes out of an amp or a mouth! If that was really the case, surely we'd all be using a PA instead of a Twin?

7. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I usually use a Twin mic'd to a PA. If your PA doesn't sound remarkably identical to the voices or instruments it is amplifying, either you have a crap PA, or a very poor soundman. Possibly both.

8. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

I'd keep that vintage twin. It's appreciating in value. You'll be kicking yourself for selling it. Just saying...

9. morgansofas

morgansofas Tele-Meister

You may be right TeleFunk Man, they certainly are appreciating in value. Mine is up for sale at £850, I bet in 3 years I'd be considering £1000. Oh no stop it!

10. bparnell57

The whole point of a twin is to not mic it...

Anyways...

Twins are peaking in value. They'll go down soon enough.

11. morgansofas

morgansofas Tele-Meister

In the UK, Twins are rising steadily. Not as much as the small amps, but going up. Problem is, in a larger gig I'd rather keep my hearing than crank a Twin.

12. BigDaddyLH

Don't say that! I want one and I want it to be a deal!

13. morgansofas

morgansofas Tele-Meister

Buy one, they are so cool. Buy mine!

14. bparnell57

Wait a few years. When all the older players sell them off to get quilters and DR's.

The small amps will climb even more while big amps go back to rock bottom.

Then once modeling beats tube amps, or environmental regulations make tubes tough to get cheaply, they'll all be cheap.

Just like how classic cars will as a whole likely go down some.

15. BigDaddyLH

You're a bit far from me!

16. morgansofas

morgansofas Tele-Meister

Contentious! I suspect that a significant number of vintage amp and car owners may disagree with you. I'm OK with my bass amp replacement, I think!

17. bparnell57

Let them disagree. Classic cars don't sell as well when gas is $4+ a gallon. Collector's items like tweed twins and Cobra's don't go down easily like that, but they will when collectors start selling off due to age. Players amps and daily drivers go wayyyyy down.

18. morgansofas

morgansofas Tele-Meister

I understand what you're saying, but there's always the age trick. You know, the one that made 70s Fender guitars sought after!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.