twin-like tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ter93, Feb 27, 2009.

1. ter93

ter93 Tele-Meister

ATM I am currently using a Fender Evil Twin and I absolutely love the tone. However, the person who owns the twin is planning to sell it, so I need to buy another amp. Are there any other amps which have a similar clean tone to an evil twin? Unfortunately, my dad will not let me purchase an amp as large as an evil twin. I solely play clean, so I do not intend to overdrive the amp at all. Price would also be a major consideration, as my parents will be paying for the amp. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  2. yanick

yanick TDPRI Member

check out Fender Pro Junior they're great and cheap you can get good reviews on youtube

3. porkadon

porkadon Tele-Meister

Vox Pathfinder

Vox Pathfinder. You can find a few threads about them here, and buy them HERE. They're solid state, but sound more tube like than some tube amps I've tried. I'm using two myself for gigs. In my opinion (as well as some others), it's the BEST small amp available!

4. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Kustom defender, although nothing beats early 70's SF Twin for me, too bad the folks won't allow the big'un(playing a bit loud eh?) but the Kustom is smaller and still has lots of headroom for clean, you may likey

5. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

if you don´t want to spemd any big money, try a fender frontman 25. that thing has a wonderful clean sound. and looks like a small twin!

6. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

C'mon guys,

He's tasted a Fender Twin. The "Evil Twin" or Red Knob "The Twin" he has been using is so far out of comparison to those amps you are suggesting it is just not fair. No ten to thirty watt amp is going to compare to the cleans he has been getting with the real deal. There is no substitute for watts and headroom when that is what you need.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 on rhomco's observations.
    ter93, if you did not use all of the volume that was available with that evil Twin, you might find the Deluxe REverb RI..or better yet a vintage DR...would do the job for you. THe sonics are much the same with the exception that you would not have the massive clean sonics volume that the big amp had.
    That said, once one has gotten a taste for what a big clean tube amp does, it could be that only a big tube amp will quench one's sonic thirst.

8. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have the 94 Twin. Not sure how it compares sonically with the Red Knob, but it has what they call a "Vintage Drive Channel". When engaged it adds a master volume to the Clean Channel and does a few other things internally to attempt to emulate the sound of a cranked Twin at lower volumes. Works quite well, though not identically to the real deal. It also has a 1/4 power switch.

I believe I got mine for around $550 used here in Canada.

9. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

What's your budget? How much does physical size and power output figure into the mix? How big is the used market where you live?

I can absolutely recommend the Peavey Triple X for the clean channel alone. It will keep up with any Twin out there as far as clean, and has two additional channels with as much or as little gain as you want that will frogwalk the Twin out the door.

You could probably find either the 212 combo or the head used for around $400 US in a decent sized market. You'll need a good 212 or 412 cab to go with the head, though.

Another option would be the Peavey Deuce 212, which was a predecessor of the Triple X and every bit as good on the clean channel, but with only one gain channel.

10. LoveBandit

LoveBandit Tele-Meister

I used to own this amp. If it wasn't so damn heavy and I had a 15 year old back like you, I still would. This amp is the REAL DEAL. Half an Evil Twin (50w/12w instead of 100/25). The best drive channel I have ever heard from Fender. Tube tremolo and reverb, too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-PRO-REVERB-RI-GUITAR-AMPLIFIER-AMP-COVER-MINT_W0QQitemZ370160367545QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item370160367545&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

http://www.fender.com.au/amplification/guitaramps/pdfs/ProTubeReviewPg1.pdf
    http://www.fender.com.au/amplification/guitaramps/pdfs/ProTubeReviewPg2.pdf

-LB (no affiliation with the seller, YMMV)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  11. eggman

eggman Friend of Leo's

Howdy,

See if there's a red knob Super 60/112/210 on the used market in your area. I've got the Super 112. It has fantastic clean tone, with plenty of headroom. They're affordable used. Good luck.

Eggman

12. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Try a Fender Blues Junior. It's not a Twin, at all, but the clean sound is similar enough that you might like it.

13. Robin Nahum

Robin Nahum Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure whether your father is worried about weight, bulk or loudness but a couple of reasonably sized, moderately priced (in Australia) Fender amps that come to mind are:
    • the Hot Rod Deluxe - 40W, 1 x12, 2 x 6L6, solid state rectifier like a Twin and about 20 kilos - nice clean tone + reverb. You may want to drop in a nicer speaker later
    • the Deluxe Reverb Reissue as mentioned above - 22W, 1 x 12, 2 x 6V6, tube rectifier and also about 20 kilos - for my money better sounding than the HRDlx but if bought new will generally need to be rebiassed so it runs a bit hotter and sounds better and possibly need the stock 6V6s replaced
    There is also the Blues Deluxe which I think is similar to the HR Deluxe but without the reverb.

If you are in Sydney, and feel confident buying an older second hand amp, you could drop into Pete's Musician's Market or Smithy's and see what they've got.

14. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

I do agree with the others, once you get used to a big Fender tube amp, it is hard to go down to a smaller amp to get the same tone. Big amps just move some air.

Some suggestions to consider;

Used,

'93-'95 Fender champ 25 or 25SE. Hard to find but great clean tube tone. Solid state preamp, tube power section.

New,

DRRI, PRRI. All tube goodness.

As cool as they are, I would stay away from an EL84 tube amp if you like the Twin's sound. Different sound IMO. Although I love my PV classic 30 (EL84), I think an amp with 6L6 or 6V6 tubes will sound closer to what you are used to.

But on the other hand, if you have never tried a PV Classic 30/ Classic 50, they do have a nice clean sound but nowhere close to that of a big power Fender amp. More of a midrange, less bright tone. But still used ones can be had for $250-$300 USD and if you like the tone, that is cheap for a gig worthy tube amp.

What kind of music do you play?

p.s. if you are ok with solid state, the new PV Bandits sound good. As do the PV Nashvilles for clean sounds. Plus PV amps do not break (very often).

15. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

+1 for the Kustom Defender - it's the closest you'll get to a BF Fender clean tone if you're on a budget. At least as good as the Fender HRD, at half the price...

16. bosstone

bosstone Tele-Afflicted

A Mesa Boogie Studio .22+ can be set up to sound very much like a lower powered Twin in it's clean channel. It is 22 watts but is noticeably louder that a Deluxe Reverb but much cleaner in its clean channel. Expect to bay about $500.00.

17. BassMasterMkII

BassMasterMkII TDPRI Member

MusicMan 65 watt - the baby Fender twin

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.