Twenty-one years ...

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by P-Nutz, Oct 13, 2021.

1. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

... is how long I've been in one of my current bands, 12-ish in the other; colleague nominated us for the state R&R HOF for the former, but we need to go four more years ... we'll see ...

How long is (was) your longest band run?

2. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That's pretty darn good man! In my case it seems they last about 3 years and bust. The one I'm in now is kind of a new experience for me because, while we are a band, we pick and choose gigs these days but mostly we are in the recording studio... so... I guess you could say we're primarily studio players these days! LOL!! Kinda neat, actually. We're having a swell time ;) Known the guys for 20+ years, have talked about forming a band all these years, but only in the last 3 years have we actually been together :cool:

Blister and P-Nutz like this.
  3. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

My friends and I keep believing we're still a band. We played at our high school 40th reunion. So let's say the band has been going for 50 years.

We had a beautiful way of working up songs. Ego-free and none of us ever acted as if our instruments defined our roles. After every gig, we'd analyze what worked and what didn't. If we didn't jettison something, we opened the hood and poked around to find better ways of doing things.

Then we'd go driving around drinking pop and barking at dogs. It did seem to give them pause.

And then, back to the basement or garage, and we'd keep playing around with stuff.

4. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

About 4 years, my first band in my teen years, actually. Every other one has been a year or two max.

Hoping this new band lasts a long time, really happy with it.

P-Nutz and Telekarster like this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I just got home from a gig with a guy I have played with since 1981.
    40 (non-consecutive) years.
    27 years of playing time, total.
    Donn’s Depot is a piano bar with live music M-Sat,
    Over the years, I have had three of my own bands in the rotation.
    I have also subbed with most of the acts that play there.
    I played with Donn, owner of Donn’s Depot from 1981-1991, and 2004 to the present.
    I also play occasionally with my old friend Wyatt.
    I did my first country bar band gig with him when I was 18.
    46 years.
    I have a trio with my friend Kelly, called Zilkerbilly.
    Kelly is captain of that ship.
    I have played with him since 1981, also.
    Another 40 non consecutive years.
    I do try to maintain my old friendships.

6. drf64

drf64 Doctor of Teleocity

You could combine the 2 and form a Rush cover band called 2112

P-Nutz likes this.
  7. Splodgeness

Splodgeness Tele-Meister

The guy I'm currently playing, writing and recording with is the guitarist from the band we put together back in 1979, when I played drums.

We've put out a couple of albums in the past 3 years and on each of them we've re-recorded an original song from the original band days. So although we had a "gap" between 1987 and 2015, we stayed in touch, so I guess we could claim 42 years??? :rolleyes:;)

8. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Holic

My own band project. I record the stuff alone. Revolving door of live personnel consisting of acquaintances of varying degrees of reluctance.
    Going under the same name now since 1987.

P-Nutz likes this.
  9. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

I've played with current band 10-11yrs.

The band before that, 35 yrs, and we still do a festival or event once or twice a year.

Going way back played with same folks for 6-7 years, but that was more of a rolling collective than a band; based on who was available and what the event called for:rolleyes:

P-Nutz and brookdalebill like this.
  10. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's longer than most marriages last. Congrats!!

dougstrum and P-Nutz like this.
  11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

18 years for the Screamin’ Armadillos…longest by far.

codamedia, dougstrum and P-Nutz like this.
  12. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I've been with this band for 40 years! I joined them in the spring of 1981. The band itself has been in existence since 1945...before I was born. I had my first band in 1963 and have been gigging regularly ever since, except for three years in the Marine Corps 1970-1973. These past 40 years have flown, for the most part, and we're busier now than ever.

13. 1guy

1guy TDPRI Member

From the age of about 12-15, when I first "attempted" to play guitar, I had a buncha bands...lemme explain..

Only my best friend, who got a guitar the same Christmas I did, and I played together...we were really bad, as in not good. We got a kid with a drum set to play with us maybe twice.

My brother had an organ in our living room, but my mom would've NEVER let us practice in there.

However, we considered ourselves to be in a band, lmao.

The funny thing is I'd recruit any kid with an instrument to join my imaginary band, and they always agreed.

Even more ironic is my son is a professional musician...on tour now, but I could NEVER EVER get on stage and play. I got a bad case of stage fright and my hands sweat like a running faucet...I'd probably electrocute myself.
    :lol:

Telecastoff1 and P-Nutz like this.
  14. 985plowboy

985plowboy Poster Extraordinaire

6 and counting

P-Nutz likes this.
  15. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

10 years in one band. 11 years, most recently, until I moved a little over 1,000 miles away. They are still together - got a new guitar player to replace me (an upgrade, IMO) and still carrying on, AFAIK.

Harry Styron and P-Nutz like this.
  16. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Here I am with my wife in 1973 (the year before we were married) entertaining at a wedding reception.
    upload_2021-10-16_7-53-46.jpeg

Here we are in 2016.
    upload_2021-10-16_7-55-20.jpeg

We haven’t had a paying gig together in a long time, but we are still making music.

17. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

The group I play with originally formed in 1985, and I joined in 1997. So I've been there for 24 years and counting but the group has been around for 36 years. 1993 - 2014 was the groups big years.... 6 CD's, numerous moderate hits, countless tours & festivals, many trips to Europe & one journey down under, etc... etc.... We still gig but not like those years. We are now down to a about a 1/2 dozen shows a year.

I'm the youngest in the group and still have a good 15 years of playing ahead of me so I've been exploring my options and play with many others these days. That said, I am still very loyal to this group and will be there in one way or another until the leader(s) finally decide they can't do it anymore.

teletimetx, P-Nutz and Fiesta Red like this.
  18. Blister

Blister Tele-Meister

Thank you for your service to our country

19. StoneH

StoneH Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Different band names and musical genres, but I played with the same guitar player for about 6 out of 9 years, and 2 bass players during the same 9 years. I thought I had performed for 8 years, but I just found this photo with a date on the back "May 1982", so 9 years and change.

upload_2021-10-17_10-44-48.png

Harry Styron and Fiesta Red like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.