1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Twelve Strings

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ndcaster, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The exact quote is "geese farts on a muggy day". He says it on his live album, "My Feet Are Smiling".

Owned a variety of twelve strings in my life. The last one was a Seagull with a solid cedar top. Beautiful sound, nice hand crafted instrument. I donated it to a silent auction that was held to raise money for a former sister-in-law whose husband "disappeared".

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  2. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You got me searching. Are they making an 830-12? Possibly your 1970 is better constructed.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  3. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I had one in the 70s!

4. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

F-400S.jpg

Mine's a well-used "lawsuit" Takamine F-400S. I found it on Craigslist, $250, and drove to Portland to get it. I used it as my "school" acoustic the past couple years, and that helped me bond with it better. Retired now, I don't play it very often, but I don't plan to part with it, either.

Jim622 likes this.
  5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I've had 3 acoustic 12s: Ventura, Yamaha and Fender. At first they sound like an orchestra then after a while they just sounds like a darn 12 string and I sell em.

Right now I've got an SG12/6 double neck but that doesn't get used very much.
    I keep one Tele Nashville strung and that has been great fun for recording.

6. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

7. Jim622

8. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have an old Guild acoustic 12 that needs some TLC in storage, but I DID get this one earlier this year; really liking it so far, though I am not still completely convinced that P-90s are the best choice for a 12 string.

Attached Files:

9. Jim622

I don't think I've ever seen that combination.

10. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

11 strings too many as far as I'm concerned.

11. Barbeque John

Barbeque John Tele-Meister

I have a Dano electric 12, used to do the D tuning slide blues thing, it sounded thick and nasty, good fun. I play mostly acoustic these day, and my 12 is an Ibanez, which sounds great amplified, kinda quiet not. For a while it was my main gig guitar, playing in a duo, but I play mostly a 6 string acoustic Teton with a sax mic clipped in the sound hole. Very natural sound. I demoed a Teton 12 that sounded great, might be my next guitar. Check out Teton guitars, very good quality, reasonable prices.

Jim622 likes this.
  12. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

I don't know, my first real bass was a Yamaha (Motion B II). Black, EMG 'buckers, microtuner bridge, ebony FB, 2+2 tuner yardstick, chrome HW- but no cheesy 80's computer 16 bit graphics font YAMAHA MOTION B on the front.

Was borrowing it from my best friend and lead guitarist, who gave me the chance to match a store's trade in offer. ~couple hundred bucks but I was working minimum wage taking home $141.50 weekly, and just couldn't swing it.

Been looking for that exact bass since, but I've only ever found 1 and it was this 80's pastel lavender which would clash with my magenta keytar.

All the ones I've seen either have a banana headstock, wrong pups, wrong bridge.

Played some pretty nice Yammy solid body S copies (whatever they call them).

And I have a classical YAMAHA made in Taiwan that's pretty good for a student model (even better since I scored it for $25 from a pawn shop).

Jim622 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.